Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   Modulars In Older Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/477051-modulars-in-older-trucks.html)

johntucker09 03-26-2006 10:05 PM

Modulars In Older Trucks

Has anyone seen or know any links to pictures of a modular being installed in an older truck? I've seen some pics of one installed in an Old Bronco, but I was hopeing for something a little more detailed.

Just an idea I was pondering for when I win the lottery... :-X14

7700Rob 03-27-2006 04:08 AM

Well, I saw saw something off the subject, but worth bringing up :). I once saw in a magazine, a '61 Sunliner with a DOHC 4.6 and all of the air ride suspension from Town Car. Very cool at the time.

ford390gashog 03-27-2006 04:16 AM

i have played with the idea. I have considered a 5.4 swap. the engine swap and trans is simple. what really takes the time is the wiring and plumbing. You also need to find a way to mount the entire steering column from the donor truck due to the PATS system. Or take the easy route and grab a 5.4 from a SD with no PATS system. You could do the swap in a month or 2 if you spend the weekends doing it. I can get a wrecked SD for 6,000.00 and still be able to sell it for 3k when i pull the trans and engine. insurance auctions are the best place to find these.

ATC Crazy 03-27-2006 11:03 PM

Looks like Im doing the opposite....LOL

Im going to put a 460 in place of my 4.6 :-X14

Lwlandy 03-28-2006 08:39 AM

I am in the process of fitting a 4.6 to my 1956 F100. The project F100 from Air ride has a 4.6 installed. You can see the end resilt on their website http://www.ridetech.com/companyprojects/f100.asp But there is not much info on the install.

Cheers
Lee

mgraveman 04-09-2006 07:48 AM

i am looking at doing this now - all the parts are free.....

F1/100&150Bill 04-19-2006 08:46 PM

just finished a swap in my '50 F-1 , already had a 351 from a Cougar and the front clip.Found a '97 Mustang conv hit on the pass. side and insurance totaled it, 48K miles. Some of the challenges are oil pan must be cut at the flange and reversed, drs side exhaust header cut at the flange and turned - welded. remote oil filter mount. I had the whole car so I took anything I needed - all wiring and computers, complete engine with ps, ac, brakes are great and I gained room by not having vacuum booster, crusie control - radiator with fan. My choice was to use what the car offered and that meant using the steering column and the instrument cluster which was another challenge. Now finished I've got a smooth good looking ride with dependable power and fair gas mileage (20+) but it is a real sleeper from the outside. Pics if you are interested.

bryyce62 04-20-2006 09:43 AM

Pics for sure. Let everybody see them.
gw

captain p4 04-20-2006 02:45 PM

How does it move compared to the 351? Obviously not a fair comparison displacement wise, but maybe having both engines in the same vehicle would give some better perspective... that is if you ever ran it with the 351 in there.

F1/100&150Bill 04-20-2006 03:57 PM

The 351 was running when I pulled it and gave it to another hot rodder, it was from a 77 or 78 cougar which was low compression and didn't wind up like the Mustang engine and I gained about 80 hp, big difference with aode transmission as compared to the FMX..Best answer is it sure has more balls.

mgraveman 04-20-2006 04:08 PM

I've driven the 5.4 - and it has a lot more than the 400 in my truck. I'll be doing the swap in a few weeks.

My 400 runs great - just low on power and terrible mileage.

captain p4 04-20-2006 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by F1/100&150Bill
The 351 was running when I pulled it and gave it to another hot rodder, it was from a 77 or 78 cougar which was low compression and didn't wind up like the Mustang engine and I gained about 80 hp, big difference with aode transmission as compared to the FMX..Best answer is it sure has more balls.

Thats kind of what i was expecting. A lot of guys around here won't admit that the mod engines are better engines than their predecessors because they 'feel slower' but they are generally in much heavier trucks. The 5.4 would have even more balls then the 4.6. Thanks for the first hand info http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...ies2/thumb.gif

krewat 04-20-2006 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by captain p4
Thats kind of what i was expecting. A lot of guys around here won't admit that the mod engines are better engines than their predecessors because they 'feel slower' but they are generally in much heavier trucks. The 5.4 would have even more balls then the 4.6. Thanks for the first hand info http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...ies2/thumb.gif

I got into my '96 t-bird w/4.6L brand-new and realized the motor was quite a lot different than even a roller-5.0

It immediately seems to have MUCH less internal friction. Which just means more power makes it out the end of the crankshaft ;)

Either that, or the stroke, or something... but a totally different animal than, say, an FE, or SB Ford (289), or 351m, etc.

I keep bringing it up, but it was a good experience I had with OHC's, and the Triumph TR7 4-banger acted the same way. I'm pretty certain what I feel different is the difference between big valve-springs/lifters/pushrods vs. lash adjusters that do not move, very small "followers" and lighter springs pushing back. The circumferential(?) inertia from the extra cams doesn't seem to be a big problem, nor the weight of the chains.

Nice motors...

skilife17 04-21-2006 09:04 AM

I saw a guy with an F100 at a car show here in MN a couple years ago. He dropped in the V-10 drivetrain. It fit in there fire wall was knocked back a few inches.

mgraveman 04-21-2006 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by krewat
I got into my '96 t-bird w/4.6L brand-new and realized the motor was quite a lot different than even a roller-5.0

It immediately seems to have MUCH less internal friction. Which just means more power makes it out the end of the crankshaft ;)

Either that, or the stroke, or something... but a totally different animal than, say, an FE, or SB Ford (289), or 351m, etc.

I keep bringing it up, but it was a good experience I had with OHC's, and the Triumph TR7 4-banger acted the same way. I'm pretty certain what I feel different is the difference between big valve-springs/lifters/pushrods vs. lash adjusters that do not move, very small "followers" and lighter springs pushing back. The circumferential(?) inertia from the extra cams doesn't seem to be a big problem, nor the weight of the chains.

Nice motors...

I wouldn't have considered this swap I am doing ('97 5.4 into 82 F350), but I LOVE my wife's town car. There's nothing like getting 30 mpg on the two land highways. She averages 22-23 mpg every tank all day long, and we can get 24-25 on the interstate. I love these engines. Why buy a silly little honda? We have a real car, paid less than a honda costs, and the mileage isn't that big a deal.