Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Pilot bearing removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/473293-pilot-bearing-removal.html)

tdlover 03-16-2006 09:38 PM

Pilot bearing removal

OK, I hope someone knows a trick or two...... I have been trying to replace the pilot bearing in my 65 F100 with the 300 engine and am having problems. On my 1st try of course just the center of the bearing came out. All other attempts to get the remaining piece out have been foiled by the bearing actually breaking in slivers and allowing the removal tool to pull free. I have been placing the hooked sections of the tool in the two inner groves on the back of the remaining piece but the bearing keeps chipping when I attempt removal. I'm afraid to apply any more force to spread the tool hooks fearing they might break. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!:)

Steve in Riverside

Rosati 03-16-2006 09:55 PM

Do you have a dremel tool?
Use the cutoff wheels to slit the outer race them pop out with a screw driver.
Cutoff wheel too big? Use a grinding wheel and grind on side real thin, then try the screwdriver or a drift punch to deform the race enough to twist it out.

bertha66 03-18-2006 08:48 AM

I just removed one in a 390 about 2weeks ago iused a 1/2" bolt and just screwed into the bearing, it taped itself into the bearing and when it hit the back of the crank it pushed the bearing out.

FordBoypete 03-18-2006 10:39 AM

Bearing or bushing, you can't thread anything into the center/inner race of a roller bearing pilot bearing, at least not like you can in a bronze bushing.

FBp

6t6merc 03-18-2006 10:48 AM

I've used a small sharp chisel to break the race. I placed a hardwood wedge behind the flange to protect the thrust bearing. I've wondered if the application of cold (CO2) would do this job.
Eric

Rosati 03-18-2006 02:22 PM

His 'bearing' has disetigrated. He's having a hard time removing the remnants of it.

Bob P1 03-18-2006 03:34 PM

Could always try the old grease trick. Fill in the hole with a heavy grease and use a wooden dowel and hammer to "pop" it out.

bertha66 03-19-2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by FordBoypete
Bearing or bushing, you can't thread anything into the center/inner race of a roller bearing pilot bearing, at least not like you can in a bronze bushing.

FBp

You are right FBp about the bearing, but all the trucks that I have worked on have had the bushings in the crankshaft.
Allen

59INA40 03-21-2006 02:49 PM

Wow, nothing like a challenge. The problem with pullers is that there has to be a trmendous amount of pressure applied in order to move something that has "glued" itself to the bore. For this reason I prefer to use a slide hammer when pulling pilots. I made one out of a long bolt and a heavy socket for the slide part. I have configured the bolt head with a grinder to fit into the bearing/bushing hole leaving enough shoulder on one side for a grip on the back of the bearing/bushing. I've had to dress the shoulder up a few times as the bolt is usually softer than the bearing/bushing but with enough smacks, I haven't found one that can't be removed in this manner. Steve

big damon 03-24-2006 06:25 PM

i use lightbread and a wooden dowel . it dosnt quish out as easy as grease