Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Dented, stuck oil filter, ok to drive to shop? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/396712-dented-stuck-oil-filter-ok-to-drive-to-shop.html)

MustangGT221 07-31-2005 06:38 PM

Trying to puncture the filter with a screwdriver and hammer is probably the right action to take from what you described the situation to be. You havn't been very forthcoming with informational details which makes it hard for us to help you.

Originally Posted by Lead_Foot
just saying not to tell someone to do something when you dont know the situation

We can only help so much and when you come on a forum like this and ask questions, we're NEVER going to know the real situation...so you have to realise that we're not there to see it first hand. Your having difficulty with something that seems to be because of the method you're using to take it off. You havn't tried to describe to us what methods you're using to get it off. If you did, we could correct you and understand more of what's wrong. All you've basically done is tell us you have a dented filter and can't get it off, we can only do so much with that...ya know? :-X22

quicklook2 07-31-2005 06:43 PM

hey mustangt221 stop agreeing with me.

really lead foot, we are only trying to help the people that post here.

Lead_Foot 07-31-2005 08:47 PM

i know, i was lookin for places to vent, nothings wrong with it. i took it off and put the old one that i had not yet recycled back on. Last time my mom takes it to do anything, its a bad combo, someone who couldnt tell a sparkplug from a steering wheel, and someone who knows how to drive, but not what she drives.

Oh and quick, sorry for venting on you.

quicklook2 07-31-2005 09:17 PM

it's cool. you have never told the real story.

quicklook2 08-01-2005 05:50 PM

i just happened to be looking in a haynes manual and read that if oil filter is stuck to insert screwdriver into filter as close to base as possible. just like i had suggested in my earlier post.

pantherscat 08-01-2005 08:53 PM

Your to young to drive, so let your dad fix the truck!! Or is it your dads truck that is screwed up and he dosn't know about it yet??? Did you decide to change your dads oil for him and don't have the strength to take the filter off? Oh by the the way it comes of counter clockwise!!!!

Roushians 08-03-2005 08:53 AM

are you turning it the right way? (counter-clock-wise) :P I can't imagine a oil filter that tight!

TriumphBoy 08-30-2005 01:30 PM

Oil Filter Wrench

http://http://cgi.ebay.ca/Easy-Use-P...QQcmdZViewItem

I have these. This will pull anything off.

Adam.

1994 F150 Red, Reg.Cab, Long Box 4.9, E4OD, Posi, Overload springs.

andym 08-30-2005 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by SoFla David
b) find yourself a long screwdriver and a hammmer (also mantionaed above). Pound the screwdriver through the oil Filter (in one side and out the other) and use the screwdriver as a handle to turn the filter. It will definitely come off that way (unless there is a strength issue) :-hair

I will attest that this is NOT a cure-all for removing stuck oil filters. I once ripped an oil filter all the way around trying to turn it with a screwdriver. That was after I broke an oil filter wrench on it. There was a strength issue there - the strength of the filter wrench.

What I ended up doing was buying a heavy duty filter wrench and getting it as close to the base of the filter as possible. Then I went at it with the wrench. What little was left of the filter finally came loose when I heaved on it with both hands.

I was covered with oil. So was the floor under the motor.

qman 08-30-2005 04:07 PM

Same with me. I crushed one with a filter wrench. It was my buddy's first oil change on his brand new Jeep Wrangler. He wanted to do it himself since I had told him how easy and quick it was to change your own oil. I ended up ripping that thing to shreads trying to get it off. I poked a screwdriver through it and used it as a prybar and all that did was rip off the top half. I then got in there with every tool I had, channel locks, vise grips and ended up tearing it out piece by piece. It finally came off and needless to say, he didn't want to change his own oil after that. Who put the stuck filter anyway?

MustangGT221 08-30-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by quicklook2
hey mustangt221 stop agreeing with me.

I do not understand the manner in which you intend to display this sentence but I said what I said for a reason :-D

To users, this is from the guidelines :

Ford Truck Enthusiasts (FTE) is a Family Friendly web site. Do not
post mean-spirited, badgering, foul language, sexually explicit,
racial epithets, derogatory or defamatory content, in any form.

Please follow it :-X22