Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Tail-gate water leaking (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/396337-tail-gate-water-leaking.html)

Encho 07-26-2005 04:38 PM

Tail-gate water leaking

Can anyone help me? whenever it rains water sips in the back, moisturing the cargo area carpet... it will have bad effects later, what can i replace or do to prevent this leaking...

P.S.: Thx for any suggestions you make

slickerthanyou 07-26-2005 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Encho
Can anyone help me? whenever it rains water sips in the back, moisturing the cargo area carpet... it will have bad effects later, what can i replace or do to prevent this leaking...

P.S.: Thx for any suggestions you make

Couple of things- Replace the window wipes that keep water out cant remember what the real name is. And check your seal around tailgate- open it up and there is a rubber seal around the body if it's not smashed or split then it's ok. Also as these things are known for the bottom of the tailgate could be rusted out and water getting up there like mine! That's about all i can think of.-Bob

Encho 07-26-2005 04:54 PM

Thx Bob, i do have a some rust in the lower part of the door, but the leaking happens only when it rains.

P.S.: donīt worry about my door, i will either replace the lower part or change the entire door, and after that i will use Bed-liner, Rhino lining or any of that kind of products to protect it so that doesnīt happen again

carriljc 08-19-2005 10:16 AM

RTV the access plate for the rear gate....

It doesn't rain much where I live, so when it rained and the back of my Bronco got wet I started looking around. I had recently removed the access plate to fix my rear window motor and just put it back together without sealant....turns out that's what it was. I just got some clear RTV and complete sealed around the access plate...no more inleakage.

tigerhawk_212 08-19-2005 10:21 AM

the tailgate weatherstripping breaks and rots and lets water in. Replace it and make sure you have some duct tape or other kind of cover sealing the tailgate under the access panel.

jem270 08-19-2005 02:41 PM

I had to cut a piece of plastic and put it under the access panel to stop water from leaking on my carpet. I used caulk to hold the plastic in place.

1988 EB Bronco - 302 - AOD - 3.55 Lim Slip 8.8- Manual Hubs and Transfer Case - BFG 32/11.5 AT - 209,000 miles

joeMontana 09-27-2005 04:58 AM

Weatherstri

the tailgate weatherstripping breaks and rots and lets water in. Replace it and make sure you have some duct tape or other kind of cover sealing the tailgate under the access panel.
ummm... where can i get this weatherstripping.Home Depot?Parts Store, Dealer? This is the only rotten thing on my truck.
thanks

muckypaws 09-27-2005 05:41 AM

bronco graveyard sell all the weatherstrips for your truck.