Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   ANOTHER 7.3 problem! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/348691-another-7-3-problem.html)

cedman 02-25-2005 09:22 AM

ANOTHER 7.3 problem!

Damn Ford to hell in general and the truck division in particular!

It ran fine all yesterday but wouldn't start this morning just grinds and sputters. Got a tank of new fuel and filter and DieselKleen. Something on the passenger wheel well makes a fluttering/humming sound for a few minutes while the glow plugs cycle. This '99 only has 77k well maintained miles on the clock. There are NO warning lights on the dash. I do not have a code reader so if there are codes that the idiot light does not cover, I'm unaware of them.

I'm ready to kill someone right now; I need to be working on the jobsite... not working on a truck! Any ideas? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

jtmerritt 02-25-2005 10:48 AM

What condition are your batteries in? Sounds like they may be the problem.

John

cedman 02-25-2005 11:17 AM

Batteries were fine when I tried to start this morning... spun the motor over easily. 77k and six years.... should still be ok?

ckal704 02-25-2005 11:20 AM

Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.

cedman 02-25-2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckal704
Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.

Tach's jumping as she turns over. So it must be something else. Matbe it's just my luck??
CedricR.

mech2161 02-25-2005 03:47 PM

Whats the outside temp? The noise may be the glow plug relay.

dannunz 02-25-2005 04:27 PM

possible that you need a new fuel fillter. just a thought. how log have you had the truck. give us some more info as to recent repairs if any.
good luck
gabe

John Kass 02-25-2005 07:03 PM

Check the oil level in the hpop. Mine did the same thing a while back, the hpop was low as soon as I filled it up the truck started right up. good luck

jtmerritt 02-26-2005 08:51 AM

Search on this site about battery problems. Seems a number of folks have had similar kunds of problems and the results were battery related even though they seemed to spin the motor over. I think you need to do a voltage check while the engine is cranking to see how much voltage drop you get. I know some have provided voltage minimums for proper operation while cranking and trying to start.

John

fordman102 02-26-2005 09:34 AM

I had one of my batteries go bad. Engine spun over fine but there was not enough juice there to start.Finally stuck a battery charger on, started right up. First stop was the battery store. I'm still using the other battery for the winch on my trailer.

cedman 02-28-2005 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had recently replaced the fuel filter. I musta got some real bad fuel just after. I removed the filter and cleaned it... the fuel in the bowl was BLACK! The batteries that spun the engine over so well were a little down on voltage when checked. So I put them on charge overnight. Truck spun for about 10 seconds before firing up and running fine since then.

I want to apologise to all of you for the outburst in my first post. I'm running tight under a deadline to get this rehab project finished. I have the tenants' deposit in hand, no help and the Section 8 inspection is in 3 weeks. If I fail or have to reschedule the appointment, I have to wait another month to get another one. I'm carrying the mortgage and don't want to make an extra payment out of pocket. It doesn't help that I have a torn muscle and ligament in my right arm. I'm right handed; makes holding a nail gun, paint roller or even my thermos problematic. The pain medicine makes me fuzzy and who wants to run a saw while doped up? It doesn't help that much anyway. I CAN get the work done in time but I have NO time for any problems of any kind.

I know that none of this is any type of excuse and I want all of you guys to know I'm sorry. It won't happen again!
Thanks, CedricR.

cedman 02-28-2005 04:52 PM

Oh, BTW, what/where is the hpop ? Or do I already know this without knowing I already know this??
CedricR.

RKern 02-28-2005 05:22 PM

Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

cedman 02-28-2005 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rlkern
Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

ESOF? Not sure, but there is a vacume pump on the pass wheel well.

HPOP? ESOF? I'm feeling like a real dummy now! :-X21
CedricR.

ReserectedSD 02-28-2005 07:08 PM

They HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) is located directly infront of the fuel filter on the top of the motor.. Infront of I mean inbetween the filter bowl and the fan.

rockyrider 03-01-2005 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=cedman]Thanks for all the responses guys. I had recently replaced the fuel filter. I musta got some real bad fuel just after. I removed the filter and cleaned it... the fuel in the bowl was BLACK! The batteries that spun the engine over so well were a little down on voltage when checked. So I put them on charge overnight. Truck spun for about 10 seconds before firing up and running fine since then.

I'd check the FPR screen, if your filter was that bad and you suspect bad fuel. Do a search for this proceedure it's pretty simple as long as you don't lose your o'rings.

Did you say batteries are six years old? You have to have excellant batteries in order to start these beast up. It will turn over fine as you stated, but still won't start.

No need to apologize, we all been there done that.
Keep on STROKIN!!http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon12.gifhttp://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon12.gif

blackf3504dr 03-01-2005 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by cedman

I'm running tight under a deadline to get this rehab project finished. I have the tenants' deposit in hand, no help and the Section 8 inspection is in 3 weeks. If I fail or have to reschedule the appointment, I have to wait another month to get another one. I'm carrying the mortgage and don't want to make an extra payment out of pocket.

I know that none of this is any type of excuse and I want all of you guys to know I'm sorry. It won't happen again!
Thanks, CedricR.

Man , you really know how to have a good time ! I stay as far away from section ( suction ) 8 as I can !! How many rentals do ya have ? Glad to hear ya got the truck going again .http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon14.gif

Duane99 03-01-2005 07:01 AM

ESOF = electronic shift on fly

Duane99 03-01-2005 07:02 AM

opps esof is for 4wd

cedman 03-01-2005 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by blackf3504dr
Man , you really know how to have a good time ! I stay as far away from section ( suction ) 8 as I can !! How many rentals do ya have ? Glad to hear ya got the truck going again .http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon14.gif

I live way out in the country and we rent out our finished/fully finished basement from time to time. Next door (three acres away!) is my old mobile home I rent out also. NO pets, NO smokers, only married couples or singles with no "overnight" guests, NO exceptions.

I partner with my wife's uncle in renting four section 8 homes in nearby Durham. We've had one month vacancy on one unit in the last 8 years. I have the rep of doing more than is expected and doing it right and I make clear to the tenants that I expect the same from them. They get a turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas. It helps that the homes are brand new, not patched/shored up roach traps; there are enough of those in Durham already! The uncle is tight with the city (he does a lot of work for them), has a huge heart of gold and is known as the nicest guy in town...... until someone tries to screw him around. They soon learn that is a very bad move; things just seem to happen to them.

This unit is one of my own... brick home in a quiet neighborhood, 2 blocks from a police substation, 1 block from the busline, close to the RTP, 6 bedrooms 2.5 baths. pretty nice! :)
CedricR.