Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   Any contractors out there? -Partition wall question. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/289129-any-contractors-out-there-partition-wall-question.html)

maa139 09-29-2004 04:53 PM

Any contractors out there? -Partition wall question.

I'm needing to put up a partition wall in my basement. The problem is that the steel I beam and ductwork runs right across where I need to put the wall. My wall will be perpindicular to the ducts. The problem is that there will be a span of wall that is about 6 feet long that won't be attached to the ceiling joists. Obviously it's not load bearing, so I'm not worrying about the strength, I just don't want the wall to have any give when it gets bumped into. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

pchristman 09-29-2004 05:33 PM

Which way do the joists run? Do they sit on top of the I-beam? A few more details will make it easier to answer.

maa139 09-29-2004 06:23 PM

Yes, the ends of the joists sit on the I beam, and the ductwork runs parallel to the I beam. The ductwork is nailed to the bottom of the joists, so it is hanging down about a foot from the joists.

Thanks.

pchristman 09-29-2004 07:18 PM

I think I see it now. The 6 ft you're talking about is the part beneath the ductwork.

Put in a header between the studs on either side of the ductwork, and run your studs up to it, just as you run the rest of the studs to the top header (which, if I'm picturing this right, will be running parallel to the joists and parallel to the I-beam. Will the header be attached to the bottom of a joist, or to nailers between the joists?

maa139 09-29-2004 07:43 PM

Exactly. The 6 feet is below the ductwork. The new wall will be attached to nailers between the joists.

pchristman 09-29-2004 07:56 PM

Lots of people put in nailers flat, 'cause it's easy and somehow seems right. It will be a lot easier to nail a header to a vertical nailer, though, and the wall (as well as the floor above) will be firmer.

If you're screwing on the header, it will be just as easy either way, but vertical nailers will still result in firmer construction.

maa139 09-29-2004 09:07 PM

Pchristman - thanks for the advice!

DaveAK 09-29-2004 09:19 PM

I think that it will be OK to have a six foot notch in your wall. Is there any way that you could bolt something to that I beam for support?

f250rangerexplorer 09-29-2004 10:11 PM

first off i know i'm gonna get crap but my g-pa owns a construction company here(brag brag brag, lol) but bolt it to the concrete floor. that'll give you a lot of strength. use 2x4's and figure where you want your wall to be and then drill into the 2x4 until you hit concrete then go about a 1/4" to mark the holes. the put in the fasteners and bolt it down. use simpson strong ties if you want strength for the top. don't toenail anything. it makes it weak. i'll do it for you for a measly $250 and supplies and hotel and flight and car rental. lol. j/k. anyways hope this helps. i think i know what your doing. Good luck!!!!!

Drive It Like You Stole It!!!