Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Anyone seen the new Titan mirrors? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/266977-anyone-seen-the-new-titan-mirrors.html)

cbsaf 09-26-2004 02:17 PM

Wow!! Who would of thought the second post by little old me would spawn a thread that keeps coming back for more? I still think Nissan is a copycat company when it comes to trucks. Let's ask a few more questions. Is their frame boxed in all the way to the rear? Did they really desigh their engines to "work" or did they design them to be "fast"? Some times slow is more powerful. How many years will each manufacturer's truck stand up against rust? How much torque can the transmission take (not the tow rating I mean real life)? Does it come with a transmission cooler? How many times will a company buy a fleet of them as a work truck and possibly put a aftermarket bed on it? Can it take a snowplow? How many people that bought one are just good ol' boys wanting a good truck and not soccer moms or rich businessmen. I've noticed when people say Ford the thought is usually tough truck, Chevy is hotrod, Dodge is Cummins (yeah I know), and Nissan is, well, pansy boy in an Altima.:-X24 That is life as I see it.

Beel 09-26-2004 02:46 PM

Who gets the money?

I'd personally care more about money going to the autoworkers in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, etc., than to the corporations they work for.

As for where the profits go, if you want the profits to stay here, just buy stock in the Japanese auto manufacturers. Then the dividends will accrue to you.

I'm proud to have owned an American Made Nissan. It gave me good service for 6 years and 85,000 miles, after which I traded it in on an F-150. I hope I feel as good about the Ford 6 years and 85,000 miles from now.

Originally Posted by stevef100s
Yes, some import brands are made in the US. Yes, American workers are getting paid to build these vehicles. Yes, THE PROFIT THAT THESE COMPANIES MAKE OFF FROM THE SALES OF THESE VEHICLES, ARE GOING OUT OF THIS COUNTRY. I know that Toyota, Nissan and others, make a good vehicle. I would rather buy a vehicle that keeps the majority of the profit in this country. Even though Ford uses parts made in other countries, the profit from sales stays here. Buy whatever you want to buy, because that's your right. It's also your right to either do your best to help our economy, or not.

IB Tim 09-26-2004 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Beel
I'd personally care more about money going to the autoworkers in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, etc., than to the corporations they work for.

As for where the profits go, if you want the profits to stay here, just buy stock in the Japanese auto manufacturers. Then the dividends will accrue to you.

I'm proud to have owned an American Made Nissan. It gave me good service for 6 years and 85,000 miles, after which I traded it in on an F-150. I hope I feel as good about the Ford 6 years and 85,000 miles from now.

You will, more than likly it will run a lot longer than six...

cbsaf 09-26-2004 05:48 PM

Yeah, like 26.

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-26-2004 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hijack
I agree that its more then mirrors and it will take time before anyone knows if the Titan will hold in the long run. But, they've done some things right.

Powerful engine, 5 speed transmission with a tow/haul mode standard, tow package that includes extendable mirrors, trans cooler, trans temperature gage, heavy duty battery, etc...

If you look at the engine HP and torque numbers and at the rpms that they occur at, there is a very close match to Fords 5.4.

Does anyone know if a magazine of some sort has done a tow/off-road/daily driver comparison between the two?

Beel 09-26-2004 07:18 PM

How many years / miles?

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
You will,... more than likely,... it will run a lot longer than six...

Amen to that! I certainly hope so.

I was reading y'all's bulletin board about the V-6's crapping out before 100k, and I was starting to get REALLY nervous. Hopefully Ford got that squared away sometime before the New Millenium; I just bought a 2002 with 24k miles on it.

In it's time, my little Nissan (bless it's little rice-burnin 4-banger heart) went through 2 sets of tires, a set of ball joints, a set of tie rod ends (cuz I hit a tree backing out of a parking space at Kate's Fish Camp), and one set of belts. Started faltering a few weeks back at 100,000 miles (I bought it used), and putting a new distributor cap and rotor on (my wife's idea) did the trick.

I wouldn't have sold it so soon, but my son's getting bigger, and I'm ready for a real (full-sized) truck. But I can't tell you how many camping trips and long hauls up to my dad's farm that little sucker did. I'll miss it.

But so far, my F150's doing a pretty good job of helping me keep my mind off the grief!

- beel

4rdtrk 09-26-2004 09:18 PM

I bought my 2000 F250 because I really liked the looks of it compared to the F150, which I think looked like a Taurus after a bad rear-end accident with a Nissan. The 150 would have suited my needs and cost less, but I'm a little older now and decided to get what I want; hence the 250.
I caught part of a documentary on how the Nissan was designed and conceived to compete with the 150. It was interesting how they went about it, they actually went and ASKED pickup owners what they wanted, liked, hated, and needed. What a concept. The built in rail system in the bed to secure your cargo; who doesn't like that? I hate drilling holes to add capability that could be designed in. I haven't looked at the Nissan, but I would be interested to see if it had $50.00 plastic door handles that take 10 seconds to break in to like I know from experience my Ford does.
I think competition is good and will make the American manufacturers take notice of innovation. Maybe Nissan used the Tow Mirrors because they were on the list of must haves from the pickup community. I'll keep my 250 but you have to give credit where it is due.
Just my .03 worth (inflation)

Beel 09-26-2004 10:27 PM

I did look at the Titan, and this is what I thought:
1) Price-wise, it definitely is set to breathe down the neck of the F-150s
2) The 5-speed automatic seemed a smart idea
3) Consumer Reports claims it's the beefiest in it's class, power-wise
4) JEEEZ, is it UGLY! :o]

IB Tim 09-26-2004 11:02 PM

And ugly still counts with me. I need to like ...what I am making payments on.

79driver 09-26-2004 11:13 PM

I think they look good, but thats just my 2 cents. I think the new F150 is an frickin ugly truck. (not trying to step on any toes) . The only thing that concerns me is all the problems they have. In all fairness the new F150 has problems, but not as many and not as major. I pesonally woulnt buy one, but i wouldnt buy a new F150 either.

cbsaf 09-26-2004 11:17 PM

Amen to that! I do not hate foreign vehicles but for some reason I hate Nissan trucks. I love the Toyota Tacoma and my wife will probably get a new 4 door 4x4 by new year instead of her Quavalier because it is small but just looks good. The Nissan Frontier though looks like crap and I have seen the bumper tounge on the rear actually break off from it's shoddy SPOT WELDS!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, the place where the tow ball gous seperated from the rest of the bumper and what caused it? A MAN WITH HIS ARMS FULL!!!!!!!!!!! No trailer!! That's why I have NO faith in Nissan.

2FordTrucks 09-27-2004 07:20 AM

I'll be trading my F150 next year for a titan, because nissan wants to sell cars. I just got my wife out of a ford windstar and the games the dealers and ford credit want to play is unbelievable. She left the ford dealer went down a block to the chevy dealer and got the same on trade, but a much better deal on a eqinox than on a bland explorer. So much for being loyal to ford. Ford wanted to trade me out of my truck and when I mentioned I get the A plan, they changed my trade in price. They said we have to go wholesale to wholesale and they were originally going retail to retail. I walked out, didnt even waste the time to tell them I know how the A plan works. The dealers lose nothing. They actually gain. Anyway, I want to get another year out of my F150, so I can pay it off and sell it to my brother and then buy a titan. Drove it, and it is a great half ton truck, much more nible than the 150 and silverado, and just feels like quality. The tundra is a good truck, but the crew cab is hidious. Just my .02

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-27-2004 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2FordTrucks
I'll be trading my F150 next year for a titan, because nissan wants to sell cars. I just got my wife out of a ford windstar and the games the dealers and ford credit want to play is unbelievable. She left the ford dealer went down a block to the chevy dealer and got the same on trade, but a much better deal on a eqinox than on a bland explorer. So much for being loyal to ford. Ford wanted to trade me out of my truck and when I mentioned I get the A plan, they changed my trade in price. They said we have to go wholesale to wholesale and they were originally going retail to retail. I walked out, didnt even waste the time to tell them I know how the A plan works. The dealers lose nothing. They actually gain. Anyway, I want to get another year out of my F150, so I can pay it off and sell it to my brother and then buy a titan. Drove it, and it is a great half ton truck, much more nible than the 150 and silverado, and just feels like quality. The tundra is a good truck, but the crew cab is hidious. Just my .02

Is that super short bed the only bed Titan's come in? It looks like it's only about 4'. Anyone know how long it actually is??

Best of Luck,
Corey

dougger222 09-27-2004 11:09 PM

Around this time last year while driving through motor city I spotted a Titan on the interstate. At first from a distance I swore it was a Super Duty with tow mirros but upon closer inspection while it was passing us the horrible fact came to light, it was a Nissan with Ford look a like mirrors. Give me a Titan, I'll have it busted in two in a month!!!

blkFRDf1504x4lar2004 09-28-2004 01:47 AM

2FORDTRUCKS: I heard Titan has issues in quality. I have read the specs, but the truck looks small when I park next to one. There are two of them where I work. I wonder how Nissan can say it is a half ton truck. Have you check the colors they come in: Deep Water, Sedona, Canteen Green, Copper. I guess Nissan is trying to sell to a certain buyer. It doesn't even offer a snow plow package.

Your experience must have been bad, but FORD F150 is the number 1 selling truck. I guess all dealers want to sell cars. My second choice would have been the Dodge Hemi, just because I like the name.

My Ford dealership treats me good. They give me a ride to my house or work and pick me up after the routine service. They always detail my truck after service. The guy at work that owns a Nissan Truck, his service department does not do those things, also his truck is always broke.