Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Anyone seen the new Titan mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 07:19 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen the new Titan mirrors?

One one os the new commercials a Titan has mirrors like a Superduty F250 and is shown pulling a trailer with everyone singing in the background. It made me wonder how many people will go buy one of these trucks to pull something heavy thinking it is a heavy truck such as a Superduty diesel? Before you say they're not that many dumb people out there a guy I worked with thought a 4x4 would be worse than a 2wd without limited slip on snow because there would be more tires trying to slip around!!!??? What makes it awful is he really believed it and does not own a truck so he wasn't kidding. Yes, that is what I think will happen. Nissan will lure car people in thinking they have a monster of a truck when all they have is a 1/2 ton.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Well, then they should make a 3/4 and one ton Titan.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:25 PM
jeb
Elder User
Yeah, Nissan sure stole those mirrors from Ford, no question there. I think it's rated to haul about 9k lbs so not up into the 3/4ton pickup range.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jeb
Yeah, Nissan sure stole those mirrors from Ford, no question there. I think it's rated to haul about 9k lbs so not up into the 3/4ton pickup range.
Nice to see you contributing... .....

Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 AM
jeb
Elder User
I feel I always contribute

Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 PM
hijack
4wd Low
Hey, I wanted to get the Titan and one of the reasons was the mirrors. You should be asking why the F150 doesn't have towing mirrors with the tow package. They don't even have them as an option. I'm only planning on towing around 5K put I still need to see. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do, my options are limited.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Unfortunately, mirrors don't make a great tow vehicle. Things like oil coolers, transmission coolers, powerful engines, Built Ford Tough transmissions, and great towing packages with trailer brakes make great tow vehicles. A buddy of mine decided he was going to try to keep up with the diesel pickups and pulled a 6,000lb boat at 75-80 mph about 100 miles or so to one of the local lakes. Between the drive there and back, he cooked his tranny (burned up two tanks of gas, too). The trans began slipping within a couple of weeks and completely went out on him. He had to get a rebuild. BTW, he has a 2000 Dodge Ram w/ the Magnum 360. The moral of this story is that there are people out there who will try to, and successfully, overwork a truck and then blame the manufacturer when it fails.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I noticed right away on the Titan that the mirrors are exactly like the super duty towing mirrors. I don't think even those mirrors can help its looks anyway, they are just one ugly truck!! I don't mind the Tundra though, wouldn't be a bad light duty truck. I'm just curious as to all the "upgrades" made between the Titan and Tundra, besides looks, I don't think one truck looks significantly bigger than the other. I spose another marketing gimmick, like Dodge, lure in folks that don't know what a truck really is and really used for.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:23 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by farmb0y
I noticed right away on the Titan that the mirrors are exactly like the super duty towing mirrors. I don't think even those mirrors can help its looks anyway, they are just one ugly truck!! I don't mind the Tundra though, wouldn't be a bad light duty truck. I'm just curious as to all the "upgrades" made between the Titan and Tundra, besides looks, I don't think one truck looks significantly bigger than the other. I spose another marketing gimmick, like Dodge, lure in folks that don't know what a truck really is and really used for.
I can't quite tell, but you do know that the Titan is a Nissan and the Tundra is a Toyota, right?
And the Titan definitely looks bigger than the Tundra to me.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:50 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by DainBramage
I can't quite tell, but you do know that the Titan is a Nissan and the Tundra is a Toyota, right?
And the Titan definitely looks bigger than the Tundra to me.
Well heck, your user name must be rubbing off on me!! Now that you mention it, you are right. Goes to prove my point, everyone and their mothers has a 1/2 ton truck out there, that it's not a competition on building a good quality truck that will last, but who can make the nicest and prettiest (not in the titan's case) truck that normal car drivers would want to buy so they can satisfy their inflated ego.

Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 PM
hijack
4wd Low
Originally Posted by BrianJ77
Unfortunately, mirrors don't make a great tow vehicle. Things like oil coolers, transmission coolers, powerful engines, Built Ford Tough transmissions, and great towing packages with trailer brakes make great tow vehicles....
I agree that its more then mirrors and it will take time before anyone knows if the Titan will hold in the long run. But, they've done some things right.

Powerful engine, 5 speed transmission with a tow/haul mode standard, tow package that includes extendable mirrors, trans cooler, trans temperature gage, heavy duty battery, etc...

If you look at the engine HP and torque numbers and at the rpms that they occur at, there is a very close match to Fords 5.4.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 PM
truckman
Senior User
I traded in my F250 Super Duty V10 for the 305 Titan Endurance V8. Just wanted to ask if any of you guys have had a chance to test drive one yet. I parked next to a diesel F250 V8 yesterday and noticed that I was a little taller. I guess he was only a 4x2.

If you remember right I was buying a 2004 F250 V10. It ended up being a sour deal with finance problems and major paint problems. Needless to say after 10 days it was given back to the dealer. The finance guy from Future Ford of Clovis is the one who really opened up my eyes and blew the deal.

Anyhow the bank came back and told the dealer that we needed to get into a lower priced truck. They couldnt get me into a 4x4 because they were trying to sell me at 12.9%. Nissan sold the Titan for 3.9%. Funny thing was - both dealers offered the same on the trade in value.

Anyways...Im not posting to stir up stuff. Just to ask if any of you guys have driven one yet. The Titan is powerful and fast. Also more agile than my old Super Duty.

Truckman

Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
It's also a 1/2 ton truck compared to your Super Duty. They're not in the same class. I think Nissan has a good truck, but if you want to compare apples to apples it should be done with the F150. They have similar capabilities.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:33 PM
truckman
Senior User
Yes your right - and in every test apples to apples the Titan has just smeared all competition. Say what you want...but its FAST! I traded in my V10 F250 for the Titan.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:36 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I didn't say anything bad about the Titan, so I don't know why you're suddenly out to smear Ford. The F150 still has the higher tow rating and if anyone honestly wants to tow that much weight they're better off with a 3/4 ton truck anyway.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen the new Titan mirrors?