Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   boost guage installation question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/223124-boost-guage-installation-question.html)

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 09:51 AM

boost guage installation question

Just wanted to get some advice on where to take my boost reading from. I have seen some say to drill a hole in the intercooler duct just after the turbo and others say to just put a tee fitting on the line going to the MAP sensor (upstream of the relief valve or pressure regulator if you have one installed). which one of these is the best option and why?

thanks,
jeff :cool:

HeatStroked 03-28-2004 10:25 AM

The simplest installation is in the MAP line. Cut the hose, install the "T" and run the line to the gauge. Just as accurate and much less hassle then the the drilling, tapping, bung welding of the intake horn.

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 10:55 AM

I agree HS and thanks for the reply

jeff

wlihntr 03-28-2004 11:13 AM

i have read on a couple of manufactures sights that it is ok to install a tee in the map sensor for pre '99 psd's but you should tap the manifold after the turbo for '99 and newer. i do not know why but they made it clear they did not want you tapping into the map line on the newer trucks. try looking at www.westerndiesel.com they used to have the install instructions on their sight.

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 01:28 PM

any idea why it would make a difference? It seems to me that the pressure would be the same in both places.

jeff

HeatStroked 03-28-2004 02:00 PM

Think about it, Ford plumbed the line to the sensor for a reason, If the intake horn was a better location, it would be there.

I have an "02" with the boost "T"d into the MAP line. Works great.

Either location is fine, but why go through the haasle of welding, tapping, etc.?

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 02:09 PM

well, since yours is an '02 and it works well thats what i'll do!! much less hassle. thanks again.

wlihntr 03-28-2004 02:40 PM

i dont know why, but i am guessing there must be a reason they do not want you to tap into the map line on the newer trucks(i did have the years worng '94-'97 in the map line '98 and newer in the manifold)

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 04:16 PM

my guess is that the manufacturer wanted to stay away from anything that may throw an CEL and by tapping into the yoke they stayed far away from the MAP. this way nobody could ever blame their guage for damaging the MAP or causing a CEL. Like HS says it makes alot of sense to mount it in the MAP line if that is good enough of a place fo Ford to take their measurement.

jeff

wlihntr 03-28-2004 05:08 PM

i do not think you are getting my point...put it where ever you want

gottaGTO2 03-28-2004 05:25 PM

Whoa!!!

Originally Posted by wlihntr
i do not think you are getting my point...put it where ever you want

hey now no need to get testy :-X24 i appreciate all of your input, and I do get and respect your POINT. If i put it in the MAP line 1st and something isn't right all I have to do is buy anothe piece of hose...............

relax,

jeff :-X05