Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   B&W Companion RVK3300 doesn't fit into OEM pucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1752327-b-and-w-companion-rvk3300-doesnt-fit-into-oem-pucks.html)

GentleBen 04-21-2024 02:00 AM

B&W Companion RVK3300 doesn't fit into OEM pucks

I just picked up my new 2024 F-350 Lariat CCLB SRW today. I got it with the OEM 5th wheel hitch prep and bought a new B&W Companion RVK3300. I can't for the life of me get the B&W base to fit into all 4 pucks at the same time. On the passenger side I can get the B&W base to drop into the the front or back puck, but not both at the same time. Because I can't get the base to fully seat I can't get the castle nut on the corner that won't seat tightened enough to insert the cotter pin. The driver's side is fine. The pucks on the passenger side measure about 1mm closer together than the driver's side. If I rotate the B&W base 180 degrees the problem seems to stay on the passenger side. There's no way to adjust the spacing of the B&W base corners or pucks. I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with the B&W base or Ford hitch prep bracket. I could file either of them down to force a fit, but that doesn't seem right or safe.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...656f064ece.jpg

Member No. 1 04-21-2024 03:32 AM

Something seems off. As you state it doesn’t follow the hitch, but stays with the passenger side.
So I’m thinking it’s the mount that’s off.
Not sure if this helps, but there are some installations videos and some FAQ,s
B&W Companion Hitch

Erie660 04-21-2024 05:29 AM

I watched a video and it showed adjusting the feet for this reason. I’m not sure the newer Companions are capable of that. I would call BW and ask them.

GentleBen 04-21-2024 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Member No. 1 (Post 21203025)
Something seems off. As you state it doesn’t follow the hitch, but stays with the passenger side.
So I’m thinking it’s the mount that’s off.
Not sure if this helps, but there are some installations videos and some FAQ,s
B&W Companion Hitch

That was my conclusion and fear as well. I think they have a shortage of the Ford bracket right now. I went through all the B&W documentation without luck. The Ram version has adjustable feet, but the Ford version doesn't. Super annoying.

GentleBen 04-21-2024 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Erie660 (Post 21203054)
I watched a video and it showed adjusting the feet for this reason. I’m not sure the newer Companions are capable of that. I would call BW and ask them.

That seems to be a shortcoming for the Ford version. There's no way to adjust the positions of the feet. It appears they trusted that the Ford pucks would be built to spec.

longhaultransport 04-21-2024 10:39 AM

1mm is causing the problem?

That's seems like a pretty tight tolerance.

Did you try the passenger side first?

GentleBen 04-21-2024 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by longhaultransport (Post 21203307)
1mm is causing the problem?

That's seems like a pretty tight tolerance.

Did you try the passenger side first?

I had the same thought. I can't believe that tolerances would be that right. I've tried the passenger side first. It just rocks back and forth from the front being fully inserted and the rear being fully inserted.

Y2KW57 04-21-2024 12:22 PM

This has happened before.

Read the posts of FTE Member @1ROBBANKS1

2023 F-350 puck system not aligned

Ford puck problem... not aligned, not spaced properly... repaired by Ford under warranty

There are also other threads on FTE with additional members reporting similar issues.

One thread shows photos of a puck alignment measuring device used by dealers. The fact that such measurement jigs are in circulation among dealership service departments is an indication that your issue is not isolated, and despite the Ford OEM hitch prep being a monolithic weldment installed at the factory, there have been problems reported within the last 3 years, including a recall in 2021, that did not seem to be evident in the previous decade of this puck system.

GentleBen 04-21-2024 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KW57 (Post 21203403)
This has happened before.

Read the posts of FTE Member @1ROBBANKS1

2023 F-350 puck system not aligned

Ford puck problem... not aligned, not spaced properly... repaired by Ford under warranty

There are also other threads on FTE with additional members reporting similar issues.

One thread shows photos of a puck alignment measuring device used by dealers. The fact that such measurement jigs are in circulation among dealership service departments is an indication that your issue is not isolated, and despite the Ford OEM hitch prep being a monolithic weldment installed at the factory, there have been problems reported within the last 3 years, including a recall in 2021, that did not seem to be evident in the previous decade of this puck system.

Thank you. I did find that thread and another thread where the fix was to just buy a new truck because the dealership never could get the pucks right. I haven't come across a single post or retailer review where replacing the B&W hitch base fixed the problem. I think this has all given me a high degree of confidence that it's an issue with the hitch prep and not the base plate.

longhaultransport 04-21-2024 02:02 PM

I would use a die grinder so it fits.

But, that's just me, different strokes and all that.

Y2KW57 04-21-2024 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by longhaultransport (Post 21203490)
I would use a die grinder so it fits..

The OP just picked up a brand new 2024 vehicle that likely cost very near $100,000.00.

If there is a potential that it was mis-manufactured, the time to address it is immediately, while still brand new, as soon as the issue is discovered.

Grinding the truck pucks or the B&W hitch would likely shift the burden of liability to the person who did the grinding, which would be classified as "cutting".

Most manufacturers include stickers on their hitches that state "Do not cut, drill, or weld."

The area of actual engagement between the pucks and rotating cleats is quite small.

The small amount of material removed by grinding might still represent a measurable reduction, relatively speaking, of the already small concentration of contact area.

For between $70K to $120K, the Ford puck system should be manufactured and installed to the standard that Reese specified for the puck system, which is the same standard that third party hitch manufacturers rely upon to assure interchange.

If the OP were to grind the B&W to make it fit a misaligned Ford hitch, what happens when the OP wants to upgrade to a Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch.? He would have to grind that too, and so on.

If the problem is with Ford's manufacturing or factory installation gone slightly awry, the problem should be corrected by Ford, so that the OP can use any hitch designed for the puck system without cutting, drilling, welding, or modifying to make fit.

djousma 04-21-2024 03:38 PM

I just dropped the exact same hitch onto my 2024 limited. No problems.

longhaultransport 04-21-2024 06:23 PM

I would not let 1mm scare me into tying my truck up for who knows how long, waiting for Ford to fix it.

Like I said, that's just me.

GentleBen 04-22-2024 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KW57 (Post 21203559)
The OP just picked up a brand new 2024 vehicle that likely cost very near $100,000.00.

If there is a potential that it was mis-manufactured, the time to address it is immediately, while still brand new, as soon as the issue is discovered.

Grinding the truck pucks or the B&W hitch would likely shift the burden of liability to the person who did the grinding, which would be classified as "cutting".

Most manufacturers include stickers on their hitches that state "Do not cut, drill, or weld."

The area of actual engagement between the pucks and rotating cleats is quite small.

The small amount of material removed by grinding might still represent a measurable reduction, relatively speaking, of the already small concentration of contact area.

For between $70K to $120K, the Ford puck system should be manufactured and installed to the standard that Reese specified for the puck system, which is the same standard that third party hitch manufacturers rely upon to assure interchange.

If the OP were to grind the B&W to make it fit a misaligned Ford hitch, what happens when the OP wants to upgrade to a Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch.? He would have to grind that too, and so on.

If the problem is with Ford's manufacturing or factory installation gone slightly awry, the problem should be corrected by Ford, so that the OP can use any hitch designed for the puck system without cutting, drilling, welding, or modifying to make fit.

You captured every one of my concerns and grievances. By grinding the puck or the feet, the liability shifts from the manufacturer to me. Plus, it would certainly kill any warranty avenue. And I did pay a small fortune for this truck.

I called B&W this morning and they said there has recently been two other Super Duties with puck alignment issues. Both built in March 2024. My truck was built somewhere between 2/22/24 and 3,/10/24. The long timeframe is because it got hung up with the February IPMA firmware issue. The guy from B&W said on the March trucks that the driver's side front puck is too low and they provided shims to fix it. I'm not sure if I have the same issue as on my truck it appears to the naked eye that the passenger rear puck is slightly cattywampus. I had my local B&W trailer shop with tons of hitch experience look at the issue as well. They had never seen such a thing, but concluded the rear passenger puck appeared tilted and no amount twisting and titling would fix it.

B&W is sending me shims that will take 3-4 days to arrive and I'm at the dealership stepping on their nuts about the issue today. I'll update once I have a resolution, as it sounds like there may be some other folks that will soon encounter this.

Devil's Advocate 04-22-2024 11:12 AM

Out of curiosity do you think a different brand may fit your pucs?

DA