Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Theft alarm----- What does it do? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/174664-theft-alarm-what-does-it-do.html)

Rusty1 11-24-2003 11:11 AM

Theft alarm----- What does it do?

I have a 1999 F-150 4x4 (which I'm sure we all have the same alarm system) and I was woundering what the "Theft Alarm" system is all about.
I have a blinking light when ever the ignition is off. Does that mean it's activated? When I lock the doors and the horn beeps, is that when it's on?
What does it do for you? Can the truck still be hot wired?
The manual doesn't tell you anything.
Can anyone explain it?
Should I stll buy an after market system?

LxMan1 11-24-2003 11:35 AM

Mine does this too, but it doesn't actually have an alarm on it. I think this just means that the pass-key system is armed so that you must use the correctly coded key to start the truck. I can open the door from the inside with the system armed and it doesn't alarm.
Jimmy

Rusty1 11-24-2003 12:01 PM

lxman1
Thanks for the reply. I've wondered about that.
Rusty

leroys4wd 11-24-2003 01:40 PM

my 2003 F-150 4x4 theft light flashes when the ignition is off, but I have to activate the alarm by pressing the lock button on the remote twice. It beeps the horn to let you know if it's activated and if you open the door (I tried it with the window down, simulating someone breaking the window and unlocking it by hand) it starts beeping the horn and flashing the lights until I disarmed it by hitting the unlock button.

Rusty1 11-24-2003 02:19 PM

Really---I'll try that tonight----hummmm
Thank you

LxMan1 11-25-2003 07:37 AM

Mine doesn't do this, I tried that too.
Jimmy

leroys4wd 11-25-2003 07:52 AM

lxman1, does yours chirp the horn when you press "lock" twice? or does it just not beep when you open the door?

leroys4wd 11-25-2003 09:57 AM

sorry guys, bad info - mine doesn't work either. I had a '96 Explorer that did that and just though this truck would be the same, it's not. It does nothing when I open the door with the alarm enabled.

CPerry 11-25-2003 11:10 AM

Mine doesn't do anything either. Maybe when the door is electronically unlocked, it disarms the anti-theft system???

Rusty1 11-25-2003 11:22 AM

Well, as long as the "Bad-Guy's" don't read this, they'll think there's an alarm system (Flashing light) and leave our truck's alone. They'll then go break into a chevy or something.

leroys4wd 11-25-2003 11:27 AM

now I feel like an idiot for making the horn blow everywhere I park it thinking it was actually going to do something. quick, mediators, pull the plug on this thread so nobody figures out the alarm system is no better than the "protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker on the door. LOL! I am going to call my dealer and see if I can find out if the thing actually does <i>anything</i>

I called the dealer service department and they said it beeps the horn and flashes the parking lights to let you know the door is locked, it does absolutly nothing else. It is, in fact, a fake alarm.

Rusty1 11-25-2003 12:39 PM

leroys4wd
Thank you for researching that for us. I've always thought it did something besides "beep" and scare the-- #$%--- of of others walking in front of your truck (that's fun to do). Now I'm going to go shopping for a new system.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Rusty1

LxMan1 11-25-2003 05:57 PM

Yep, that's exactly what mine does too. My theft light doesn't flash if the doors are locked with the remote.
Jimmy

aldridgec 11-25-2003 09:15 PM

The horn is just a lock confirmation so you can check the truck recieved the signal to lock the doors. The theft light is a status light for the PATS system and is used to also indicate a malfunction and programming.

There is no FAKE alarm on this. Earlier trucks, like your 96 had a perimiter intrustion system. But I believe with the PATS system this was eliminated. The PIS was not an alarm that would defeat the theft of the vehicle as far as I know. An aftermarket alarm will probably do you little help for slowing intruders IMO other than providing a perimiter alarm. I would recommend the ford GOLD remote start system. If you are going to hack up your truck wiring for an alarm you might as well add remote start too. It will look like a ford remote, add a perimiter alarm with siren and a remote start that has a module to work with the PATS without using your spare key under the dash (really secure for other to do that you know !)

MrBSS 11-26-2003 12:48 PM

I second Aldridgec's suggestion. It provides a high level of security and everything works as it did. But,... it's a big installation, so don't try this at home, kids, unless you're really good!