Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   vented ventless heater (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1583615-vented-ventless-heater.html)

ford2go 05-17-2019 10:35 PM

vented ventless heater

What a deal. I'm in the process of putting a ventless propane heater in my basement. Replacing my 40 year old woodstove.

To do it, I need to extend the gas line. Guy came over to estimate and said -- are you gonna get a permit? He pretty much though that it was a waste of money.

But, a gas line is a pretty big deal, so I emailed the inspector to ask about fees for the line and the heater.

Guess what -- in Minnie, ventless heaters are not approved -- or so he said. I looked up the code standard and it does allow exceptions for units with a vent interlocked to the gas valve. These do exist, but it looks like a real PITA.

Not sure what to do. Could get the gas line approved and just say I have future plans for it. Then put in the heater. Never thought of this when I put a garage unit in -- but I first ran that from a tank -- then got a new regulator right on the wall outside the unit.

Kind of amazing that they sell these things at a lot of places and never bother to say thatthey're in violation of code unless you add a costly vent.

Interested in any opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

hj

JWA 05-18-2019 05:03 AM

That is an interesting conflict of information code-wise. I'd seek input from your home insurance carrier to make sure installing this type heater in any space while its not a code-approved item could affect or void your coverage.

Are there any approved alternative heat sources under consideration for your space?

Edkajo 05-18-2019 07:48 AM

I don't mind taking chances on things as needed but gas/propane is no joke. Anything with it should require a little homework and everything should be done 'right'. A garage is one thing but even vented they can cause life threatening issues. Almost predictable that a family gets into trouble overnight due to a blocked vent or a malfunctioning gas heater each year in any given area. Don't play games with anything like that inside your home unless you want to roll the dice on your family waking up dead one day. Might be just me but I'd ditch that heater and sell it to someone who has a use for it and start of fresh with whatever is approved. The simpler the better. Even power vents are a PIA sometimes. Any reason why a regular vented gas/propane heater can't be vented through the flue used for the woodstove?

ford390gashog 05-18-2019 08:46 AM

Ventless heaters are generally not approved, the exception is if you can provide fresh air and seven full air changes a hour. Have you read the numerous issues and dangers with them? The complaints go back 20 plus years https://www.dukefire.com/articles/ar...1815/60120.htm

tseekins 05-20-2019 05:38 AM

Ventless heaters are no bueno. If the local code says no, likely your insurance will follow suit and for very good reason.

Not long ago I was very interested in installing a gas tankless water heater. After much research I discovered that I can't vent it through my gas furnace stack, it must have it's own which will add lots of extra money to the initial install. I have a brand new Rheem gas furnace and it vents through PVC pipe through the garage attic out the side of the garage wall just under the peak. I'm guessing that the water heater needs metal vent material.

Factoring in all that I figured my break even point to be years down the road.

1978f-250 05-25-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18662193)
Ventless heaters are no bueno. If the local code says no, likely your insurance will follow suit and for very good reason.

Not long ago I was very interested in installing a gas tankless water heater. After much research I discovered that I can't vent it through my gas furnace stack, it must have it's own which will add lots of extra money to the initial install. I have a brand new Rheem gas furnace and it vents through PVC pipe through the garage attic out the side of the garage wall just under the peak. I'm guessing that the water heater needs metal vent material.

Factoring in all that I figured my break even point to be years down the road.

You must have a high-efficiency furnace to have it vented through PVC, I just installed a 95% efficient boiler in January and because it lost so little heat to the exhaust it vented through PVC. I was very surprised as the old boiler vented through a 4" stainless steel pipe (maybe 15' long) that would've cost $2000 to replace if I hadn't replaced the boiler. DTE energy even provided a $900 rebate for the purchase of the 95% efficient boiler. That was nice.

The typical gas water heater runs hotter exhaust and that's probably the reason for the metal vent.

Concerning a non-vented heater that burns any type of fuel; burning any fuel produces carbon monoxide and that is deadly and needs to be properly vented. Every Winter we read a story about a family dying from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a furnace malfunction or someone using an oven to heat a home.

Dennis

ford2go 06-04-2019 10:24 PM

Well I took the heater back and now I have to find a vented one. Don't seem to be a lot of choices. My basement just gets too bleeping cold. The wood stove was a good deal, but I'm getting too old for the work. (I don't think that pellets are any easier). Plus, the installation would have to be significantly change to meet code.

Would like to get 30,000 btu and a good radiant heat with air circulation as well. The other thing is that we built a raised brick platform for the stove with thin stone walls in back of it. Worked great to keep the stove out of the way and it looked good. The heaters I've found mount on the wall which will work (I think), but then all of the raised platform is pretty much wasted. .The vent free(and code free) stove I was going to put in would have looked decent sitting out on the platform.

Don't really want to tear it out either.

Just kinfd of whining,

hj

ford390gashog 06-04-2019 10:29 PM

Highly suggest looking at a mini split heat pump. You can have heat and cool and use it to maintain humidity in the basement.

tseekins 06-05-2019 04:55 AM

Pellets really aren't that much work but, there's plenty that can wrong with a pellet stove.

I'm no fan of of heat pumps unless you're in an area that doesn't get real cold like the Northern tier states. A heat pump sounds like your best option at this point.

Edkajo 06-05-2019 07:47 AM

Just curious. Where's the main furnace/boiler for the home? We set up a possible future zone off the boiler for our basement but never needed it since the boiler and piping has been keeping the 3 rooms in basement fairly warm all winter. Even the hot air furnace in my sons home does a decent job in the basement. Is there any practical way to add a zone for the basement off your main source?

gasman6674 06-06-2019 12:39 PM

Just curious, An unvented gas (natural or propane) are equipped with and oxygen depletion sensor/pilot, and are limited to around 30,000 btu. The only code execution i was aware of was installing in a sleeping are but local authority having jurisdiction would rule. You can get unvented fireplaces up to around 40,000 btu. So did the heater you had not have an ODS?

PS You can get a direct vent unit or wall furnace that might fit you needs. Google Empire Comfort Systems

ford2go 06-06-2019 10:38 PM

gasman - MN Mechanical code states that they are NOT allowed unless you have some kind of vent rated at so many cfm per 1000 btu. (Kind of negates the vent free part)
Oh yeah, the vent has to be interlocked with the burner.

I doubt that it would ever be an issue where was going to use it, but I probably won't be here that much longer.

Thanks for the tip,
hj