Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1580983-ford-invests-500-million-in-electric-pickup-truck-maker-rivian.html)

smokewagun 04-27-2019 07:45 AM

The article says it’s for a vehicle “in addition to” the current lineup. That says a separate vehicle, and likely NOT the F-150. Further, Ford will keep on with their own development of electric vehicles. I can’t imagine Ford letting anyone get a bite into their cash cow.. Ford may LEARN from Rivian, but I’ll bet when a true electric F150 comes down the line, it’ll be Fords design, which may be similar, but their own patents. It’ll be a cold day in hell before Ford will let anyone partner in their most sucessful vehicle. That opens too many doors for failure. Remember International and the earlier Powerstrokes? Of course were expecting 8” of snow today on Prom Night for my son... the end of April. Is hell freezing over? Nah...

GABAR 04-27-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 18623468)
The article says it’s for a vehicle “in addition to” the current lineup. That says a separate vehicle, and likely NOT the F-150. Further, Ford will keep on with their own development of electric vehicles. I can’t imagine Ford letting anyone get a bite into their cash cow.. Ford may LEARN from Rivian, but I’ll bet when a true electric F150 comes down the line, it’ll be Fords design, which may be similar, but their own patents. It’ll be a cold day in hell before Ford will let anyone partner in their most sucessful vehicle. That opens too many doors for failure. Remember International and the earlier Powerstrokes? Of course were expecting 8” of snow today on Prom Night for my son... the end of April. Is hell freezing over? Nah...

What you said may be true but I can see Ford using/adapting the Rivian‘s battery pack design to it’s vehicles including the F150.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see but all of this is very interesting.

Also, lets not forget about the VW and Ford collaboration as both companies are all in on Electric vehicles.

It’s amazing how much the powertrain in the F150 has developed and is developing since the 2015 redesign.

onug 04-28-2019 09:26 AM

Here’s a good summary of Ford’s electrification plans. Sounds like the Hybrid F-150 is due very soon as a 2020 model, while the fully electric is still a ways out.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-arriving-soon

It suggests the Rivian bromance will work on an all-new SUV, but the official text quoted doesn’t mention a specific vehicle type.

The next few years is going to be interesting.

GlueGuy 04-28-2019 12:38 PM

I agree. The new range numbers on the Tessla New Roadster are looking almost insane. They are saying that it will be capable of > 1000 km (> 621 miles) max range. That would work well in a pickup. The price tag today would also be a bit insane.

onug 04-28-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18625075)
... The price tag today would also be a bit insane.

That’s a huge question that has yet to be answered for the truck market. Huge question. Work/towing = big battery = $$$. Even if battery costs come down, balancing weight and capacity will be an issue.

GlueGuy 04-28-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by onug (Post 18625094)
That’s a huge question that has yet to be answered for the truck market. Huge question. Work/towing = big battery = $$$. Even if battery costs come down, balancing weight and capacity will be an issue.

The big target today was getting the cost below $100/KWh. Based on things that I've read, I think Tesla is already below that threshold. If the things I've read about the Maxwell acquisition are true, they may be able to hit $80/KWh in the next year or so. Mass market vehicles will probably need a cost well below that.

T diesel 04-28-2019 06:23 PM

triniexr 05-06-2019 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by onug (Post 18620191)
The Rivian truck is definitely not a F-150. Not in size nor target market. It will be the latest fashion accessory for the hipster Patagonia crowd. I heard somewhere that the Toyota Prius is the most commonly traded-in vehicle when someone buys a Tesla. I bet Subarus will be the Rivian equivalent.

The press release reiterated Ford is planning a zero-emissions F-150 in 2020, so I think the Rivian skateboard will be the foundation for the next generation of vehicles. Maybe the Ranger or Explorer. Hopefully it can scale up to a F-150 size truck with similar capability. Don’t get me wrong about my earlier comments, I’d love something like the Rivian. It just needs to be 20% larger, 20% more capable and 20% cheaper. My family of four+dog fill my truck today when we leave for the weekend. I cannot scale down, especially with our trailer in tow.

GM was rumored to have been an investor a few months ago, but backed out because Rivian wouldn’t give them exclusive access to their tech. Another classic move by the General.

I agree with this, I really hope that Atlis XT becomes a reality.

https://www.wheels.ca/news/atlis-xt-...tow-35000-lbs/