Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian

Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ford invests $500 million in electric pickup truck maker Rivian

Old 04-24-2019, 07:00 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
I F'N LOVE it!!!

Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 PM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
Dang, you beat me to it. I couldnít be more excited about this. Rivian has the vision, Ford has the skills for scalability and producibility.

Take my money! Well, as long as itís not $70k...

Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Rickyrobert
Senior User
Rickyrobert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rickyrobert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by onug View Post
Dang, you beat me to it. I couldnít be more excited about this. Rivian has the vision, Ford has the skills for scalability and producibility.

Take my money! Well, as long as itís not $70k...
Same. Take my money, but in moderation.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
Yah. I will watch this space. HOWEVER... 400 mile range is with the biggest battery on the planet, with no load. If you're pulling a 7000 trailer (or pick whatever weight you want), I'm betting the range will drop closer to 200 miles.

We're not there yet, but I'm betting in 10 years, there may be more electric cars and trucks than ICE variants. I hope to live long enough to see it.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
There are tons of pickup applications where a 400 mile range will work just fine.

Who is making batteries for Rivian? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

Panasonic seems to be worried about Tesla, so maybe there's another match up for them in the near future.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 AM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Very cool indeed.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see GM follow what Ford has done by investing in Rivian or some other EV company.
Hmmmmm, the company that comes to mind ends in the letter A. Can anyone guess what company I’m talking about and no, it’s not FCA....LOL

Old 04-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
Not a big fan of TFLT but they did a good overview here. If you have 15 min worth the watch. Seems this is less geared as a payload/towing vehicle and more as an "adventure" vehicle. Will be interested to see the numbers when released.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Audi is said to be going electric across it's line, maybe we need to watch them and see how they do it.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 AM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
The Rivian truck is definitely not a F-150. Not in size nor target market. It will be the latest fashion accessory for the hipster Patagonia crowd. I heard somewhere that the Toyota Prius is the most commonly traded-in vehicle when someone buys a Tesla. I bet Subarus will be the Rivian equivalent.

The press release reiterated Ford is planning a zero-emissions F-150 in 2020, so I think the Rivian skateboard will be the foundation for the next generation of vehicles. Maybe the Ranger or Explorer. Hopefully it can scale up to a F-150 size truck with similar capability. Donít get me wrong about my earlier comments, Iíd love something like the Rivian. It just needs to be 20% larger, 20% more capable and 20% cheaper. My family of four+dog fill my truck today when we leave for the weekend. I cannot scale down, especially with our trailer in tow.

GM was rumored to have been an investor a few months ago, but backed out because Rivian wouldnít give them exclusive access to their tech. Another classic move by the General.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by onug View Post
I heard somewhere that the Toyota Prius is the most commonly traded-in vehicle when someone buys a Tesla. I bet Subarus will be the Rivian equivalent..
Very interesting, would not have been my first guess - Prius/Tesla seem to be in a very different price category, at least for the model S and X. The model 3 is suppose to be more accessible price wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw high dollar Luxury SUVs will be the majority trade-ins on Rivian pickup and SUV models. I can say as a Subaru owner (Wife drives an Outback) we probably won't be cross-shopping Rivian at those price points...

Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Very cool indeed.
I wouldnít be surprised to see GM follow what Ford has done by investing in Rivian or some other EV company.
Hmmmmm, the company that comes to mind ends in the letter A. Can anyone guess what company Iím talking about and no, itís not FCA....LOL
Rivian was in talks with GM before the Ford deal happened. Rumor is that deal soured, and you will probably get conflicting stories from GM and Rivian.

Also. I've seen reports that Rivian test mules are actually F-150 bodies on top of the Rivian skate board. So it has to be a somewhat similar size to (probably) the short wheelbase F-150.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Also. I've seen reports that Rivian test mules are actually F-150 bodies on top of the Rivian skate board. So it has to be a somewhat similar size to (probably) the short wheelbase F-150.
Looks like they put one under a Supercab with a 5.5' box (aka the super shorty), check it out here https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/13/...#slide-7422080

Old 04-25-2019, 11:46 AM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Rivian was in talks with GM before the Ford deal happened. Rumor is that deal soured, and you will probably get conflicting stories from GM and Rivian.

I wonder if that prototype F150 with the IRS thatís been rolling around has RivianĎs skateboard battery pack.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 AM
onug
Donut Ninja
The rumor mill on the mule was itís testing the battery tech and not tied to anything Ford related. But thatís just the rumors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: