Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   motorcraft 2150 off idle hesitaion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1576004-motorcraft-2150-off-idle-hesitaion.html)

bryanA73 03-15-2019 10:43 AM

motorcraft 2150 off idle hesitaion

hi guys, I need some help on carb issues. I have a 1973 F250 with a 360 and a Motorcraft 2150, I rebuilt it a couple weeks ago and cant seem to adjust my way our of this off idle hesitation issue. I double checked the timing to ensure it was at OEM specs- that was good, I set the air/fuel mixture with my vacuum gauge ( at temp with vacuum advance disconnected)- that was great, no vacuum leaks, other then the off idle hesitation it runs great...like really great. I did notice if I drive it while the fast idle cam and choke are still engaged it doesn't have that hesitation. My thoughts are: with the choke on, its enriching the fuel mixture and decreasing the air, so the hesitation goes away due to the increased amount of fuel- does that make sense? so, I've adjusted the arm on the accelerator pump in a few different positions, currently its on the outer hole on the pump arm and the highest hole on the travel-over lever, it seems to like this position best. As far as getting more fuel to the carb, I'm out of options unless I re-jet it, right?. its the OEM carb, I cant imagine why it would now need larger jets? anyone have any advise? one thing to note is, it does have hefty exhaust leak, I don't know if that would effect anything? I plan to seal that up this weekend and see if that works some magic. Any advise would be great guys! thank you in advance!

ford390gashog 03-15-2019 10:56 AM

When you set the vacuum did you got for highest reading and then richen it out +1Hg" ? What hole did you put your accelerator pump arm in?

bryanA73 03-15-2019 11:12 AM

when setting the vacuum, I threaded the air/fuel screws in *gently, and backed them out 1 1/4 turns as a starting point, then hooked up the gauge and turned them out about 1 full turn to get the best vacuum if I remember correctly, then I turned them clockwise 1/4 each ( this is what the OEM manual specified). sorry, I'm not familiar with +1hg? can you educated me on that ? the accelerator pump arm is on the outer hole on the pump and the #4 position on the traveler arm. thank you for your help!

vjsimone 03-15-2019 08:28 PM

So, if all was well before you rebuilt your carb, then I’m guessing something may have gone wrong.
When you rebuilt, you checked/sprayed through all the orifices/holes/ etc.
All the parts go back in the way they came out ? Check Ball ?
You replaced the enrichment valve & gasket ?
I’m assuming your transfer slot is not blocked if it wasn’t before.
Great spray out of the accelerator pump ?

What do your spark plugs look like?