Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   6.7 Serpentine Belt Change (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1575394-6-7-serpentine-belt-change.html)

Irelands child 03-10-2019 01:07 PM

6.7 Serpentine Belt Change

My 2011 F250 w/6.7 (May 2010 build) is getting a bit long of tooth and needs some TLC

At 117,000 fairly easy miles, it is about time to change the serpentine belt. I've looked at some generally useless You Tube videos and have done a search here with little real information beyond a good belt routing drawing.

OK, the truck is pretty garden variety - single alternator, Replacement belt from Rock Auto for a Motorcraft is about $75 bucks, Gates and Dayco are somewhat less.
Is there a decent 'How To' anywhere? Has anyone here come up with a good DIY method? It looks like the fan shroud upper, air cleaner box top and probably the CAC to inlet tube needs to be removed at a minimum - but ....

254XP3 03-10-2019 04:18 PM

Here is a youtube video from Arod. I think he has more off of the engine than is needed but it gives a good view of belt routing etc. Like I said, you don't have to take this much off, but he did so it showed up good.

Irelands child 03-11-2019 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 254XP3 (Post 18531759)
Here is a youtube video from Arod. I think he has more off of the engine than is needed but it gives a good view of belt routing etc. Like I said, you don't have to take this much off, but he did so it showed up good.6.7 Powerstroke Belt Replacement

Thanks. Yep, saw that one and found it virtually useless as he has pulled way more off then I believe necessary including the fan for a belt change out. I do have a Ford TSB that shows belt orientation which should work well.

ILBCNUL8R 03-11-2019 05:45 PM

The technique used by the gentleman in this
definitely shortened the time it took me to do the job the first time. The keys for me were removing the sensor bolt (it's a long one) and inserting the doubled belt from the top to get started.

Irelands child 03-12-2019 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ILBCNUL8R (Post 18534035)
The technique used by the gentleman in this video definitely shortened the time it took me to do the job the first time. The keys for me were removing the sensor bolt (it's a long one) and inserting the doubled belt from the top to get started.

Thanks. I saw this one as well. It almost makes me motion sick with the camera bouncing around but his hint about doubling the belt is good info

saratoga2011 03-12-2019 02:09 PM

To change the belt, it takes a 1/2" breaker bar for the tensioner, that's it.

With that many miles, I'd suggest replacing the tensioner and two idler pulleys at the same time. I always do that when changing serpentine belts because those are cheap parts compared to the radiator or CAC if the tensioner comes apart (which has and does happen). It was less than $150 for all motorcraft parts when I did mine.

Irelands child 03-13-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by saratoga2011 (Post 18535919)
To change the belt, it takes a 1/2" breaker bar for the tensioner, that's it.

With that many miles, I'd suggest replacing the tensioner and two idler pulleys at the same time. I always do that when changing serpentine belts because those are cheap parts compared to the radiator or CAC if the tensioner comes apart (which has and does happen). It was less than $150 for all motorcraft parts when I did mine.

Thanks. Breaker bars - I have. Tensioner and idlers - probably a good idea as well. I've had my problems with other Ford products with them and not all high mies either Guess I'll put my Rock Auto order together and have the parts when (if ) it warms up enough to do this project along with a trans oil change a secondary radiator flush that has material waitng since fall,

Update:Ordered a belt, a tensioner and 2 idler pulleys from Rock Auto - and over $200 with a Gates belt amd Motorcraft items. Previous history with belts is that Gates have worked best for my needs vs Motorcraft.

DeeDubz 03-13-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 254XP3 (Post 18531759)
Here is a youtube video from Arod. I think he has more off of the engine than is needed but it gives a good view of belt routing etc. Like I said, you don't have to take this much off, but he did so it showed up good.6.7 Powerstroke Belt Replacement

That video is good but is deceiving. I changed my belt about 6 months ago. It was a PIA. On my truck there's a small piece of plastic that connects to the block of the motor and the fan clutch. Making it impossible to put the belt on without taking it off. I'll try and post pictures later. I had to take a few bolts off... not a huge deal but I watch a few videos with not one having this issue.

Irelands child 03-14-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by DeeDubz (Post 18538253)
That video is good but is deceiving. I changed my belt about 6 months ago. It was a PIA. On my truck there's a small piece of plastic that connects to the block of the motor and the fan clutch. Making it impossible to put the belt on without taking it off. I'll try and post pictures later. I had to take a few bolts off... not a huge deal but I watch a few videos with not one having this issue.

Was that the fan sending sensor? Suspect that's what it was and something that I saw somewhere.
Hope you can post your photos.

DeeDubz 03-14-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 18539511)
Was that the fan sending sensor? Suspect that's what it was and something that I saw somewhere.
Hope you can post your photos.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a9e1b92f5f.jpg

I believe so, Heres the picture. Its the Black bracket looking thing toward the top of the photo. Not the best but that's what I had to deal with. anyone know the trick without taking this thing off?

Irelands child 03-14-2019 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DeeDubz (Post 18540247)

I believe so, Heres the picture. Its the Black bracket looking thing toward the top of the photo. Not the best but that's what I had to deal with. anyone know the trick without taking this thing off?

Thanks for that photo. The weather was good enough today (53*) for me to take a better look at what has to be done. My guess is that the neighborhood kids had best not be nearby as my language can get interesting. My truck is an '11 and a very early JOB 1 and seems to have a couple things in the way that others I've looked at may not have. Gonna be interesting and may even take a couple picture for others to look at but no promises. Looks like I might need scaffolding to reach in there even though I'm 6' 4" tall.

Batman7777 03-15-2019 12:37 PM

Hold the phone... Replacing the belt at 117k miles and 2011 model? Is that norm? Seems kinda early... I had an 06' with 130,000 miles and belt appeared to be in excellent shape.

Irelands child 03-15-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Batman7777 (Post 18541653)
Hold the phone... Replacing the belt at 117k miles and 2011 model? Is that norm? Seems kinda early... I had an 06' with 130,000 miles and belt appeared to be in excellent shape.

The belt may be just fine but when you are hauling a 12,000 pound, 38 foot 5th wheel, you don't need a belt to 'pop' on a Saturday evening 100 miles outside of East Overshoe in an almost unpopulated Midwestern state. The '06 that I owned was a V10 and that belt was shot at ~80,000 miles but was a heluva lot easier to change

ILBCNUL8R 03-15-2019 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously it's neither easy nor fun on a 6.7L, but no need to overthink it. . . If it'll help, attached is the procedural description from Ford's Workshop Manual.