Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   new respect for those who did exhaust studs; there kicking My A$$ (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568823-new-respect-for-those-who-did-exhaust-studs-there-kicking-my-a.html)

90limited 01-13-2019 11:17 AM

new respect for those who did exhaust studs; there kicking My A$$

Sooooo.... Been working on the X for three days trying to replace exhaust manifold studs..

Day one: put on jack stands removed tires, inner fend liners, shocks and shock mounts and soak all the studs in PB. Also learned that front shocks were toast.

Day two: remove two studs on passenger side and three on driver side. That leaves two bolts/studs on each side. the others where already broken off. The second and third bottom from the front are still on each side. The ones that have almost no access because of the frame support for the motor. The nuts are rusted and there is no way to pound on a slightly smaller socket.

Day three: take the dremel with the wand attachment and am able to get the the third bottom nut on driver side off. Also was able to get the third bottom nut on passenger side about 2/3 cut using dremel right angle head before the gears in the head striped. Went to buy another and out of stock.... damn. I was able to pop the 2/3 cut nut off with an air chisel. That leaves me the second from front bottom on each side. The heads are rusted and I cannot get a socket to grab. For the life of me can't figure out how to get the dremel wand or anything else in there.

The crusty white pig is kicking my A$$. This is supposed to be the easy part. Haven't even started trying to remove the studs yet...... Anybody have any words of wisdom?

They're kicking my A$$. Can't edit the title......

WE3ZS 01-13-2019 03:14 PM

If I recall correctly, I was able to force either a socket or a small box wrench onto every stud nut, I started with only two missing though. Maybe try fitting a socket over the nut and then lever it into place with a pry bar and then work the ratchet into the socket......? Those lower ones are a challenge.
Do you have a MIG welder on hand to weld some nuts to the broken studs to spin them out? It really helps.

90limited 01-13-2019 03:34 PM

yup have a mig... also have left handed drill bits. Hope I don't need them however. If I have to drill I might get one of the drill template thingy I've seen on amazon.

Haven't been out to the shop today. Feeling sorry for myself last night that I can't even get the manifolds off; so I have a long conversation with brother bourbon. Head little thick this morning. I'm planning on going out after dinner.......

Wishbone 01-13-2019 06:29 PM

Did mine a couple weeks ago. I cut all mine off with a torch and have the scars to prove it. Had 8 broken below flush but they weren’t my worst ones. Welded build up then washer then nut, break off repeat�� Ended up drilling two,both on drivers side cly 2 bottom which was the hardest and Cly 4 top. Remflex gaskets highly recommended but they need to be torqued multiple times,they are nice and thick. Luckily I have a hoist, and I still would say it was PIA.

90limited 01-14-2019 07:59 AM

I have the remflex gaskets. Good to know on the re torque. I'll leave the fender liners off for the first couple of drives until I think everything has settled in, assuming I get the damn thing put back together.....

Flyboy1100 01-14-2019 08:43 AM

you took the shock tower off too? that really helps with clearance.

it is a PITA for sure, i would assume/plan on drilling some if you are having this much trouble just removing/breaking the old ones off.

you can probably just unbolt the mount and lift the engine a bit to get more clearance too.

Flyboy1100 01-14-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wishbone (Post 18416206)
Did mine a couple weeks ago. I cut all mine off with a torch and have the scars to prove it. Had 8 broken below flush but they weren’t my worst ones. Welded build up then washer then nut, break off repeat�� Ended up drilling two,both on drivers side cly 2 bottom which was the hardest and Cly 4 top. Remflex gaskets highly recommended but they need to be torqued multiple times,they are nice and thick. Luckily I have a hoist, and I still would say it was PIA.

i think i went around/criss cross/etc like 4-5x per manifold trying to get the remflex torqued. 3500 miles so far and so far so good. maybe i overtorqued them, but i hope not! they definitely have a lot of squish

90limited 01-14-2019 10:39 AM

Raising the engine now. Have fan shroud lose and trans cross number bolts off. Ok the use oil pan to lift motor? Always did that with my small blocks

90limited 01-14-2019 01:34 PM

Ok. Motor raised. Got passenger manifold off. About halfway cut through last bolt on driver but gotta stop and cleanup for work. 😡

Flyboy1100 01-14-2019 02:00 PM

well, progress!

at least with the motor up installing and torquing the lower bolts will be a bit easier.

90limited 01-15-2019 12:07 PM

Ok.... both manifolds off. Only one broken stud passenger side. Nut welded on and cooling. 4 studs out driver. Two already broken (one was broke before I started). 4 studs to go. Fingers 🤞🏻

wizkid00104 01-15-2019 12:54 PM

Good luck. I will be doing this at some point. Small tick now, and I am not looking forward to it.

90limited 01-15-2019 01:09 PM

Broke one stud each side. Top front. Found the best way is to soak over night. Then Heat with propane torch. Squirt PB while still hot. Let cool. Put on stud extractor and tighten to the point you think the stud might break. Leave extractor on stud and heat aluminum head with propane torch. Hit with PB again and she comes out. Didn't break a single one this way.

Welded the passenger stud twice now. Keeps breaking nut off. I have some dry ice in freezer. Might try super cooling it.

wizkid00104 01-15-2019 01:19 PM

Have you seen the drill guide for removing the studs? There are several tools like this of varying prices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-Ford-...u5Jy:rk:9:pf:0

90limited 01-15-2019 01:32 PM

Yup seen the drill guides. Was keeping that as last resort so to speak. The two studs that broke had good solid shanks just corroded to the head. They will likely have to be drilled. I have left handed drill so maybe I'll get lucky.