Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   E4od problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565698-e4od-problem.html)

bashby 12-15-2018 09:33 AM

E4od problem

Just obtained a mechanics special 05 E350 PSD. The PO had a problem where after driving several miles, it would shift out of overdrive, then down to second and stay there. He would pull over, shut it off, restart and it would work fine again.

He had it in the shop to fix it when a new problem came up. Its missing really bad, like running on 4 cyls. They told him it needed a big list of parts, injectors, harness, comp., etc. I think its just the VC gaskets and harness, which I have not replaced yet, so I have not been able to drive it yet to experience the trans problem. Assuming the running problem is an easy fix, where do I start with the trans problem? I have an ELM327 code reader and the torque app. He never said anything about the OD light flashing, and I didnt think to veryfy if the light works or not.

bashby 12-15-2018 09:35 AM

Tried to edit my post...its a 95, not an 05

subford 12-15-2018 11:25 AM

Sounds like a plug problem on the passenger side of the transmission.
Take the back off the plug and check the wires going into it.

F350 1990 12-15-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 18362408)
Just obtained a mechanics special 05 E350 PSD. The PO had a problem where after driving several miles, it would shift out of overdrive, then down to second and stay there. He would pull over, shut it off, restart and it would work fine again.

He had it in the shop to fix it when a new problem came up. Its missing really bad, like running on 4 cyls. They told him it needed a big list of parts, injectors, harness, comp., etc. I think its just the VC gaskets and harness, which I have not replaced yet, so I have not been able to drive it yet to experience the trans problem. Assuming the running problem is an easy fix, where do I start with the trans problem? I have an ELM327 code reader and the torque app. He never said anything about the OD light flashing, and I didnt think to veryfy if the light works or not.

Does the vehicle actually have an OBD2? Many of the heavier GVWR vehicles didn't get those until later..................

bashby 12-15-2018 12:02 PM

It does have an Obd2 connector. I was only able to get limited info and it showed no pending codes, which I thought was wierd as bad as it was running.

bashby 12-15-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 18362548)
Sounds like a plug problem on the passenger side of the transmission.
Take the back off the plug and check the wires going into it.

​​​​​​​if there is a problem there is the fix to splice in a new connector or repair whats there?

subford 12-15-2018 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 18362597)

​​​​​​​if there is a problem there is the fix to splice in a new connector or repair whats there?

Replace the connector as a pig tail. Splice the pigtail to the harness.

Attachment 277855

Attachment 282875

/

Mark Kovalsky 12-15-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by F350 1990 (Post 18362553)
Does the vehicle actually have an OBD2? Many of the heavier GVWR vehicles didn't get those until later..................

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 18362417)
Tried to edit my post...its a 95, not an 05

From his later post it is a 1995 . No 1995 E-Series had OBD-II.

bashby 12-15-2018 04:28 PM

Well, it has an obd2 adapter that I plugged my Elm 327 into and it connected. I got almost no info but what I did get didnt seem right, and the title and VIN indicate that it is a 95. What year did they start with Obd2 in the e350s?

subford 12-15-2018 04:43 PM

Note that this is an 1995 7.3L.
So no OBD-I or OBD-2.
It is an odd OBD but I do not know what they called it.
It does use the connector plug under the dash that looks like an OBD-II plug.
It does not use the OBD-II error code charts. It has its own set.

bashby 12-15-2018 05:09 PM

Does that mean I have an oddball that is impossible to get codes and data from?

subford 12-15-2018 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No there are readers that can read the codes and the code table are available.

Attachment 284275

/

bashby 12-16-2018 07:37 AM

Thanks for sharing that. So now the obvious question is, How do I retrieve codes?

subford 12-16-2018 08:49 AM

There is a lot of reader out there that will read the codes for your 1995 PSD.
You will just have to check out what reader will work.
The Ford dealers use the New Generation Star Scan tool.

The scan tool must be connected to the Data Link Connector (DLC) for communication between the vehicle computers and the scan tool. If the New Generation Star (NGS) scan tool is used to communicate with the vehicle, an adapter cable must be connected to the tool. Refer to the NGS owner's manual or manufacturer's manual for specific information.

NOTE:
The DLC is located under the instrument panel.

New Generation Star (NGS) Scan Tool
Key off.
Verify that the proper memory (EPROM) card is inserted in the NGS.
Connect DLC cable adapter to the NGS.
Connect NGS DLC cable adapter securely into the vehicle DLC.
Connect the NGS power supply cable to vehicle battery power supply through cigarette lighter, at the vehicle battery with alligator clip adapter, at the dashboard power point or into the pigtail power connector attached to the DLC connector cable.
Turn ignition key to the on position or start vehicle if necessary. The NGS is ready to communicate with vehicle computers.
Follow instructions on the tool or in the diagnostic manual.
To disconnect tool, turn ignition key to the off position and disconnect scan tool from DLC and power supply.

Generic Scan Tool
Refer to Scan Tool manufacturer's manual for specific cables and/or adapters required for Scan Tool hookup.

TimothyOnline 12-17-2018 07:02 PM

The Ford dealers use the New Generation Star Scan tool.
Every Ford dealer with which I've dealt has switched to the Integrated Diagnostic System, having thrown the Hickok NGS away 12 years ago. :(

It is an odd OBD but I do not know what they called it.
Ford's iteration of OBD/OBD-I for 1995 is EEC-IV, whose connector (at least, on the low-GVWR vans like mine) can be found between the engine battery and the LH fender. It consists of a six-sided connector and a small extra square connector.

It does use the connector plug under the dash that looks like an OBD-II plug.
That one may be a dummy. Look for the EEC-IV one under the hood.

Assuming your van is EEC-IV (OBD / OBD-I), theoretically any shop with a scanner supporting older cars (i.e., 1981-1995) should have no problem pulling codes on it. If you want to strike out on your own and buy your own scanner, you have several options:
  • Hickok NGS (eBay)
  • Snap-On SOLUS Pro w/ FORD-1A adapter (eBay)
    NOTE: If you have 4WABS, pick up a FORD-4 adapter while you're at it
  • Snap-On MT2500 w/ FORD-1A adapter (eBay)
    NOTE: If you have 4WABS, pick up a FORD-4 adapter while you're at it
  • Any other technician-grade scanner from that time period
  • Innova 3145 (AutoZone)