Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Lost Overdrive 1992 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565487-lost-overdrive-1992-f150.html)

C Warren Const 12-13-2018 02:42 AM

Lost Overdrive 1992 F150

While on the highway today I put my foot in to get around somebody there was a big clunk that Jarred the truck real hard when I got off the highway about 30 miles later and pulled up to the stop sign the truck would not go it's like I didn't have a transmission, I put it down in first I had first gear and I had second gear, when I push my overdrive button I had all gears except the overdrive, it won't go with the overdrive button on, but does go with the overdrive button off. Has anybody had this problem... the truck has a hundred and eighty thousand miles on it I've never had an issue with this truck leaving me on the side of the road or breaking down and up till today that transmission is been fantastic. What do y'all think

Mark Kovalsky 12-13-2018 08:05 AM

I think if I knew more about your truck I could give an intelligent answer. If you know which transmission it has, that would be a big help. If not which engine it has will also help.

With what you've given us all I can tell you is it done broke. That's the less intelligent answer,

C Warren Const 12-13-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 18358655)
I think if I knew more about your truck I could give an intelligent answer. If you know which transmission it has, that would be a big help. If not which engine it has will also help.

With what you've given us all I can tell you is it done broke. That's the less intelligent answer,

it is a 92 F150 with a 5.0 motor I believe the transmission is a e4od but I will check on the tag at the door and see if it tells me anything on it and get back with you, and thank you so much for getting back to me

timbersteel 12-13-2018 09:06 AM

Op stated he has On/Off button for overdrive.

Sounds like E4OD trans.

C Warren Const 12-13-2018 09:39 AM

Yes I climbed under it is an e4od, I looked under the hood everything seems to still be attached on the throttle body I didn't really notice any slipping when the overdrive was off and it was in 3rd gear

C Warren Const 12-13-2018 09:44 AM

In addition to fluid levels good and the fluid doesn't seem to be burnt it smells fine little darker than you know new fluid when you put it in but I think that's fairly normal especially on the truck with 180,000 miles on it

C Warren Const 12-13-2018 09:54 AM

In addition to fluid levels good and the fluid doesn't seem to be burnt it smells fine little darker than you know new fluid when you put it in but I think that's fairly normal especially on the truck with 180,000 miles on it, it doesn't slip in first or second and I didn't notice any slippage in third last night when I drove it home, it just won't go forward from a standing start in overdrive, I can tell you that jolted gave me on the downshift when I went to pass I thought I left some parts on the pavement it was that bad

Mark Kovalsky 12-13-2018 10:10 PM

I suspect the overdrive one way clutch has failed. That clutch has to hold in first gear. With the OD turned off, or the shift handle in 1 the coast clutch is applied and holds the torque that the one way clutch isn't holding. This takes a rebuild to fix.

C Warren Const 12-26-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 18360323)
I suspect the overdrive one way clutch has failed. That clutch has to hold in first gear. With the OD turned off, or the shift handle in 1 the coast clutch is applied and holds the torque that the one way clutch isn't holding. This takes a rebuild to fix.

thank you very much that makes sense, because with the overdrive switch in the off position it goes fine I drove it about six hundred miles after that at with no problems but I have decided that I need to rebuild that transmission or replace it I found one with 60,000 miles from LKQ $750 with the one year guarantee parts and labor I thought that was a pretty decent price but for right now I might just go ahead and tear that one down and try and rebuild it myself just to see if I can do it see if it's a challenge I'm fairly certain that I can probably do it as long as I pay attention to what I'm doing and have a nice clean workspace , do you believe this is something that average guy who knows his way around a wrench can do? For now I'm driving my 96 Eddie Bauer single cab short bed with a straight 6 in a 5-speed probably never will own another automatic I guess even though that one went almost 200,000 thank you so much for your time and your input in this matter I appreciate it

sandymane 12-26-2018 03:56 PM

Since the E4OD is electronically controlled, it might be wise to run diagnostic codes and see what comes up. Sandy

FORDF250HDXLT 12-26-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by C Warren Const (Post 18381983)
I might just go ahead and tear that one down and try and rebuild it myself just to see if I can do it see if it's a challenge I'm fairly certain that I can probably do it as long as I pay attention to what I'm doing and have a nice clean workspace , do you believe this is something that average guy who knows his way around a wrench can do?

How To Reman The E4OD/4R100 - Complete Video Walkthrough