Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Throwing in the towel on oil leak (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564579-throwing-in-the-towel-on-oil-leak.html)

bman661 12-04-2018 11:32 PM

Throwing in the towel on oil leak

Hello All!

After replacing o rings like crazy I cannot get this 01 f250 to stop leaking (new turbo pedestal and orings, ebpv delete, new HPOP hoses, new orings on ipr, drain plug on HPOP, new hose fittings on HPOP and cylinder heads, new ICP) damn thing seems to be leaking worse!! 😡 I could see it leaking from the HPOP fittings took it apart again new orings and still leaking. Maybe it needs to be tighter but I read some horror stories on over tightening... So I think I’m going to take it to the shop to find and fix the leaks does anybody have a rough estimate on what it’s going to cost me?? May change my mind and tear it apart again if you guys think it’s going to be outrageous!

truck7575 12-05-2018 05:12 AM

My HPOP case had a crack in the housing and it was very hard to figure out that is what it was...

Rick

Walleye Hunter 12-05-2018 06:57 AM

My prediction at a shop is one arm, one leg and no better results than you can obtain yourself. On the HPOP fittings you also need to use loctite green, I don't know if it helps seal but with the low torque applied it stops them from coming loose.

RigCity 12-05-2018 08:11 AM

Might as well do the master o ring kit. I’ve been going section by section and it will fix that problem than start another leak or a previous leak will leak more now that the other one is fixed. How much oil is under the truck? Mine has gone from a puddle to a few drops. And your sounding concerned of how tight stuff is are you using a torque wrench?

RigCity 12-05-2018 08:13 AM

Also if you clean the valley and put some shop towels in there that could help let you know if it’s from the front or back of the engine

BBslider001 12-05-2018 10:30 AM

According to Corey at CNC, green Loctite is a no-no....and I can attest as to why. If you have to remove those fittings at any time, it can and will cause the threads to come with it. It's soft aluminum. There is a proper Loctite that sets more like a Nylock, but I took his advice over the summer and just used the o-rings. No leaks yet.

As far as a shop, I would highly advise against it. You can do this man. We have all been through it. Take a deep breath and start from square one and GO SLOW. That is the biggest reason I see for making mistakes or overlooking a problem. Let us know.

Y2KW57 12-05-2018 10:37 AM

Use tracer dye.

bman661 12-05-2018 11:53 AM

Ok you guys have convinced me to tear it apart again, I did use a torque wrench I torqued the pump discharge fittings: 25 ft/lbs, head fittings: 19 ft/lbs. that is what I found with a search, maybe those are incorrect? I suppose worse case scenario I can slap a new HPOP in for cheaper than a shop would most likely charge me to replace o rings. it seems as though the fittings in the HPOP and in the head are the culprits, but ill have to clean it really good again to be sure. Now I didn't take the pump out I suppose I should and repair the non serviceable plug and the main gasket, it doesn't appear to be leaking out the non serviceable plug but I don't want to do this again. Any other suggestions while I have it all apart for the 4th time LOL? fuel bowl too i suppose?

PrescottIce 12-05-2018 03:26 PM

Here's a trick I use to find oil leaks of mysterious origins: take a paper towel, cut it into about 2" strips. Then twist each strip until it's pretty tight, about the diameter of a drinking straw. Wrap the twisted towel around each of the suspect fittings, using a zip tie, twist tie, or clothespin to hold it in place (clothes pins work for smaller fittings, like fuel). Drive it for a bit and remove each towel to see where there is oil - if you're lucky, it will be one you can access without removing too much other stuff to get to it.

I've also found that you can take the twisted paper towel and wet it with water, wrap it around a piece of PVC pipe similar in size to your target test subject, and let it dry - that will help getting it to conform if you're in a tight area.

Also, the things in the link below come in really handy when removing HPOP lines, the head plugs, or anything that is going to drop a lot of oil. I line the valley with them and stuff some under the HPOP, plus make sure the valley drain is plugged with them at the aft end of the valley - it keeps the oil from dripping down the side of the engine and making a mess that takes some time to clean.

onelionhunter 12-05-2018 03:42 PM

I actually had to replace the fittings on my HPOP to get them to quit leaking, I fought them 4 times before I got the new ones. I think I got the new ones at Diesel Orings. I did, linky High Pressure Oil Pump Discharge Hose Fitting - High Flow 1999-2003

F250_ 12-05-2018 03:44 PM

You sure it's not the front head on the oil cooler? I've had that leak get up and into the valley before.

schlepprock250 12-05-2018 03:47 PM

Your first step should be to clean the **** out of the valley and top side. Use cut Simple Green. Apply it to a warm, not hot engine. Rinse with just hose pressure. Soak the valley heavy with Simple Green and then flood the valley thoroughly with hose water. Let it dry completely before you start it and check for leaks. You got this bro.. No shop.

UcaN 12-05-2018 04:08 PM

FYI..... i was going through a similar issue just last week. I could not find the leak until i cleaned the valley well. It was coming from the (check valve plug) on the block. The one that is just below and to the drivers side of the HPOP...

Check and see if that might be your problem. I was lucky in that i snugged it up and the leak stopped, but i am sure i will have to take that plug out and reseal it in the near future.

I guess now is the time to ask if anybody knows if the HPOP has to be removed to get that plug out to have it resealed.

bman661 12-05-2018 05:51 PM

Thank you guys for all your help and information.... I am going to give it a whirl!

Skip1970 12-05-2018 05:56 PM

good luck to you. seems everytimei fix something another thing starts leaking, endless projects forsure. love the 7.3 tho.