Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   There's a sucker born every minute (per PT Barnum) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1561220-theres-a-sucker-born-every-minute-per-pt-barnum.html)

F350 1990 11-05-2018 06:39 AM

There's a sucker born every minute (per PT Barnum)

Obviously had new pickup truck buyers in mind when he said these immortal words.

Ford continues to shaft buyers ---- 90% of the company's TOTAL profits are coming off pickup truck (plus suv) buyers............GM too (around 70%)

Horrible gouging of consumers...........

howler4x4 11-05-2018 06:57 AM

The value of an object is determined by the price the consumer is willing to pay. Sales drop when prices go too high.
Yes, my eyes bugged out when I saw the bottom line, but I could have walked away. But then I'd still be in the Excursion forum...

Seriously, gouging, ripoff, etc. involve some sort of force or fraud; raising prices during an emergency, labeling white fish as crab, etc.

Pick up prices started skyward when the market opened up to regular folk vs farmers and tradesmen. Demand drives price.

Kingofwylietx 11-05-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by howler4x4 (Post 18287955)
The value of an object is determined by the price the consumer is willing to pay. Sales drop when prices go too high.
Yes, my eyes bugged out when I saw the bottom line, but I could have walked away. But then I'd still be in the Excursion forum...

Seriously, gouging, ripoff, etc. involve some sort of force or fraud; raising prices during an emergency, labeling white fish as crab, etc.

Pick up prices started skyward when the market opened up to regular folk vs farmers and tradesmen. Demand drives price.

^^ This.

Prices go up when people are willing to pay higher prices, which is the cornerstone of supply and demand.
These are not your grandpa's or dad's trucks anymore. Every time they add a more expensive higher trim...people trip over themselves to buy it.

I'd counter the OP by saying that Ford (and the others) is actually delivering something people want...and that something is nicer, more powerful, safer, more efficient, and higher tech trucks.
Unfortunately, for all of us, they do cost more....but they are worlds ahead, in every metric, than what was offered in the past.

bedwards 11-05-2018 12:22 PM

Have you looked at what used ones are pulling? Apparently the market is there. I wanted to buy used but ended up with new because the used were almost as high and getting snapped up.

ghunt 11-05-2018 12:41 PM

It looks like there are better deals right now to get 2018's off the lots. I paid $33K for my truck in April and now there are 2018's for a couple thousand more. But those are also STX's where mine is an XLT sport (I would have bought an STX if I was getting a 2018 anyway though)

Couple things too: $33K was the absolute most I was willing to spend. I also wasn't sure I wanted the 10 speed. And, at the time I bought my truck, Ford had very little incentives, their interest rates weren't good, and I would have had to settle for a 2.7 to be even close to what I paid.

So, I feel OK about it.

TheGalacticSkull 11-05-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bedwards (Post 18288730)
Have you looked at what used ones are pulling? Apparently the market is there. I wanted to buy used but ended up with new because the used were almost as high and getting snapped up.

^^^—ditto this—^^^

Wiggums 11-05-2018 02:30 PM

Supply and demand. If you paid attention in Economics 101... you'd get it.

People still want to spend that much on a truck, by all means, let them!

In 2017, Ford sold 200,000 Fusions and 900,000 F-Series. Used F-Series are priced sky high too and people are still buying it.

I owned a Benz C350 before my first F-150 and I loved the F-150 so much I bought another!

Again, supply vs. demand.

tseekins 11-06-2018 05:25 AM

I think a sucker in the world of automobiles may be the person(s) who purchased a Yugo.

Pocket 11-06-2018 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by F350 1990 (Post 18287934)
Obviously had new pickup truck buyers in mind when he said these immortal words.

Ford continues to shaft buyers ---- 90% of the company's TOTAL profits are coming off pickup truck (plus suv) buyers............GM too (around 70%)

So you're still trolling a Ford forum by constant bashing of Ford products and spreading misinformation.

As a prime example, remember this thread? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18263793

I'm confused... in a free capitalist economy, how is a company like Ford making profits a bad thing? The health and viability of a large company such as Ford... or the automotive industry as a whole... is one of several key indicators of a healthy economy. Bashing their profits accomplishes what exactly?

Or are you actually not bashing their profits, but rather just trolling Ford owners on a Ford forum? Why aren't you on Lambo or Ferrari forums bashing their cars for being priced in the millions?

Pocket 11-06-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18290190)
I think a sucker in the world of automobiles may be the person(s) who purchased a Yugo.

Dude I saw one on I-25 in Denver last week!!!!! Couldn't believe my eyes!

Mickey Bitsko 11-06-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by F350 1990 (Post 18287934)

Describe horrible?

Wiggums 11-06-2018 09:11 AM

Reading his previous posts, he seems focused on thrashing Ford. I guess he's got issues. I am setting him on ignore right now, don't want to waste time with people like him.

Mickey Bitsko 11-06-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wiggums (Post 18290560)
Reading his previous posts, he seems focused on thrashing Ford. I guess he's got issues. I am setting him on ignore right now, don't want to waste time with people like him.

Lol... Haven't read any of his posts and don't care really, I was just baiting the troll..
Can't afford a new vehicle, not the manufacturers problem.

GlueGuy 11-06-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18290190)

I don't know. I almost never put gas in my Yugo Kumquat. Maybe it was because it never ran?

NumberDummy 11-06-2018 01:17 PM

Please don't feed the trolls!