Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   New Air Intake (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558147-new-air-intake.html)

roostercrows 10-09-2018 09:14 AM

New Air Intake

Hey All!

I just installed a new air intake on my truck, the Donaldson AIS from Riffraff to be exact and when I did the first WOT the filter minder went to max and I got the light on my dash saying my filter was clogged??
After all the reading I did I understood that this system would flow better than stock and better that the aftermarket AFE oiled filter that I had on the end of my intake. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something?

Colorado350 10-09-2018 10:02 AM

Did you do the Zoodad mod? Google it or search on YouTube that will help you get more air through the filter. It makes a difference on my truck with AIS Filter, the minder still closes up but no light. No chip either...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...mod-today.html

pirate4x4_camo 10-09-2018 10:35 AM

Back when the AIS was introduced I had the opportunity to get with an engineer from Donsaldson for a Q&A on the filter.

The AIS it was never promoted as “flowing better” then stock it is in fact much better at filtering dirt and its dirt holding cabability. The filter minder is just a simple vacuum gauge and it tuned to work correctly on a stock motor, with mods such as tunes you will pull more vacuum which trips the minder, Just because your engine pulls more vacuum doesn’t mean the filter is not allowing adequate flow. When pressed the engineer didn’t have a direct snswer on many HP the filter would support but the flow numbers he did have suggest at least 400 and still provide the dirt filtering it was designed for.

Remember, the harder the engine sucks the more dirt it will pull through the filter medium.

timmyboy76 10-09-2018 10:35 AM

Someone had exact issue, your having about a yr or 2 ago..Tug comes to mind. See if you cant re-word the title to get more hits

schlepprock250 10-09-2018 10:36 AM

Nothing to see here. Keep it moving.

AllaboutMPG 10-09-2018 10:53 AM

Can't remember who but someone said the AIS minder was more sensitive than the Stock one. They installed the stock one and no more problems

roostercrows 10-09-2018 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

John, I did not do the zoodad yet, I had intended to do it yesterday but I ran out of time. My plan is to do it this weekend. Do you think it will fix the problem?

Pirate and Timmy, I'm pretty sure it was Rich (Tugley) who posted a comparison of the popular air filters and the airflow each would allow. I made a mental note to go with the AIS and that is about as clear as my memory is on that.
When I get a chance I will do a search and see if there were any more details regarding AIS.

Paul, that would be good news and a simple solution. I'll check and see if I have mine around still.

JT250 10-09-2018 02:50 PM

What AFE did you replace? If it was the AFE II then no the AIS will not out flow this intake. I not know about the AFE oiled filter but I run the pro dry S and only trip the STOCK filter minder when it starts getting plugged.

Colorado350 10-09-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by roostercrows (Post 18240536)
Thanks for all the replies!

John, I did not do the zoodad yet, I had intended to do it yesterday but I ran out of time. My plan is to do it this weekend. Do you think it will fix the problem?

Pirate and Timmy, I'm pretty sure it was Rich (Tugley) who posted a comparison of the popular air filters and the airflow each would allow. I made a mental note to go with the AIS and that is about as clear as my memory is on that.
When I get a chance I will do a search and see if there were any more details regarding AIS.

Paul, that would be good news and a simple solution. I'll check and see if I have mine around still.

James, I don’t know about “fixing” it but it will definitely help with airflow. My AIS was already installed when I bought the truck. There was some room between the front end of the intake and the plastic piece you’re going to cut. My guess there was Enough for air to be sucked in but there had to be somewhat of a restriction because Someone decided it was a good idea to cut a hole in the “neck” of the intake…my guess to help with airflow. I taped that up and did the Zoodad mod, I could tell immediately tell there was an improvement. I would guess the improvement came from increased airflow AND colder air coming in the intake versus the hole on the neck sucking in hot engine air.

Silverhks 10-09-2018 04:09 PM

Since it's a 2003 you should already have the "secrete Zoodad" from Ford I think. You might look at enlarging the hole and/or trimming the mat some.

roostercrows 10-11-2018 08:53 AM

Thanks Joshua,
I had a look and it does seem like I do have it but it is awful small, I will look to make it bigger.

cuazman 10-11-2018 10:31 PM

The stock 6.0 intake uses a similar Donaldson/AIS type air filter that is said to be able to support 500+ HP. The air box on the 7.3 AIS is what I think is restrictive. I have a heavily modified AIS filter box that I installed a Donaldson air filter minder, a real vacuum gauge. Limited testing I have pushed 42 pounds of boost with 11 inches of H2O at the filter. I don't know how much HP I'm leaving on the table with this "restrictive" intake. Most diesel rigs want filters changed at 20-25 inches. I think the AIS is a great filter for near stock, chipped trucks. Open up the box as much as you can with all the standard tricks and you'll have a great filtering, quiet intake.

aawlberninf350 10-12-2018 07:41 PM

"Sleeving" it by cutting a 3" hole in the side and routing a trimmed as a sleeve to the fender hole helps with getting the air in there. That's the only OK place to put another hole in the box.

And yes Tug did a nice experiment with the filter minders, result is the OE is harder to trip than the AIS version. So if you want to avoid a light on the dash use the OE. But if you want to ensure best flow for larger injectors, using the AIS version is an easy way to see when airflow may be less than desired. I'm on stock sticks so I use the AIS version, no problemo.

roostercrows 10-16-2018 09:19 AM

Thank you David and Rick.

I did the zoodad mod on Sunday, but I did the updated one behind the grill. It is very nice in the sense that it can't be seen. It did not improve things however. On a test drive just after, the filter light came on at just half throttle! My truck is mildly upgraded, I wouldn't think there would be any way for it to require more air that the AIS would be able to deliver.
I think my path forward is to find my stock filter minder and see if that makes any difference. If it trips even the stock one then I guess I will be putting another hole in the box.

timf150 10-16-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by roostercrows (Post 18252622)
Thank you David and Rick.

I think my path forward is to find my stock filter minder and see if that makes any difference. If it trips even the stock one then I guess I will be putting another hole in the box.

I do recall reading how some, when they added the new AIS setup, had the same issues with the filter monitor triggering often due to it being more sensitive. When I did mine I re-used my stock filter monitor because of the threads I had read about it. I have a few links below from users with similar complaints about the monitor.

You are on the right track.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1451365-ais-restriction-gauge.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1400893-revisiting-ford-ais-airflow-rates.html

TIm M