Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Compressor Wheel Nicks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1546716-compressor-wheel-nicks.html)

ToddMyers58 07-06-2018 07:41 AM

Compressor Wheel Nicks

2 Attachment(s)
I just recently pulled off the intake on my 01 f250 and noticed that the compressor wheel has small nicks on almost all the fins. It is the stock turbo with 138k on it. There is no shaft play at all as well. My question is what would cause this? There was a small amount of very fine dust in the the take stuck on oil from the CCV. Would surge cause this sort of thing?

Just wondering what the best thing to do is.
Thanks for any advice

Dan V 07-06-2018 07:53 AM

When you installed the 6637 air filter, did you notice anything?

ToddMyers58 07-06-2018 07:56 AM

I did not notice anything when I first installed the filter but I did not take a very close look, there may have been some of the smaller nicks but the few larger ones seem somewhat new.

coax9952 07-06-2018 05:42 PM

That Wheel is Dusted, and I would bet that it's been that way for quite a while. A leaky filter Box w/ irregular filter changes, Cheap Filters.... any of the above....You needs a New one.

Silverhks 07-06-2018 06:34 PM

I would check/replace your filter. Also check your intake pipe to make sure it doesn't have a hole. Then make sure the clamps are tight on reinstallation.

I doubt whatever did that came from inside the engine or you would have more evidence...

Handy1 07-06-2018 07:12 PM

There is one other thing that will cause this kind of damage to a compressor wheel. It's water. Water will cause this very fast,but is not likely as far as I know in this application. I see this all the time on industrial air compressors. They use the same type of compressor wheel. They have water cooled intercooler to cool compressor air and when they get a hole in the intercooler ,the water trashes the wheel.

timmyboy76 07-07-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Silverhks (Post 18074014)
I doubt whatever did that came from inside the engine or you would have more evidence...

How can anything from within the engine, wipe out or even disrupt the wheel thats inline with the air intake? ..AND, if possible, what other evidence would there be...a loss of blinker fluid:-X19

B-Rad88 07-07-2018 07:27 PM

Well the good news is from what I've read, pulling the turbo on the super duty is pretty easy, compared to the OBS. I've only done it on an OBS. Worst job I've ever done by far. But, I'd replace this wheel and change your filter.

'88 E-350 07-07-2018 11:45 PM

Leak in the filter or ducts let stuff in. Stuff got in the filter/ducts when last working on it. Damaged bits of the ducts broke free; possibly shaved some rubber off when fitting the 6637. Something came up through the CCV.

It doesn't appear dusty so it's unlikely to be a leak, I also can't imagine any chunks of stuff coming from the CCV. My guess would be something got in there when you last had it apart or you damaged the rubber hose when fitting the 6637 and a chunk of rubber did it.