Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Borg Warner T-85 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539840-borg-warner-t-85-a.html)

Troy_Lee 05-10-2018 11:14 PM

Borg Warner T-85
 
Tell me more about the 3 speed overdrive transmissions, I have lined up one in a 1951 Ford Custom that has a 226 I-6, it is still in the car & from the pictures all the cables, and solenoids are still present. Of course, I'd convert it to from the 6 volt to the 12 volt for my 65 F100.

Aside from the lock-out cable, electronics, & the need to shorten the drive shaft, am I looking at any other changes?

Will this transmission bolt to my 352 FE?

NumberDummy 05-10-2018 11:20 PM


Originally Posted by Troy_Lee (Post 17977286)
Tell me more about the 3 speed overdrive transmissions.

I have lined up one in a 1951 :-huh Ford Custom that has a 226 I-6, it is still in the car & from the pictures all the cables, and solenoids are still present.

Will this transmission bolt to my 352 FE? :-huh
No, absolutely not!

No 3 M/T Overdrive of any year prior to 1965 will work.

1951 Ford has a flathead 6 w/a T-86 3 M/T with O/D .. NONE of the parts interchange!

T-85 with Overdrive: 1965/67 F100 240/300/352 // 1968/71 F100 240/300/360/390 // 1969/71 F100 302.

The O/D relay for these trucks is non existent.

Troy_Lee 05-11-2018 10:55 PM

Thanks ND!

I have a burning desire for an OD while keeping the column shift for sentimental value, but it seems the only viable alternative there is a floor shift 5. Auto just doesn't interest me.

Crop Duster 05-12-2018 04:35 AM

T85
 
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...87786e0d09.jpg

Originally Posted by Troy_Lee (Post 17979091)
Thanks ND!

I have a burning desire for an OD while keeping the column shift for sentimental value, but it seems the only viable alternative there is a floor shift 5. Auto just doesn't interest me.

I have this stuff from my truck the PO said that the OD broke and he replaced it with a C6 back in the 1980's. He threw the T85 in the junk pile but didn't remove this stuff. Try car-part.com I looked on there and it seems there are a half dozen or so possibles listed. If you find a good trans and need any of this stuff PM me. Also Flashback F100's - Home you never know what he might have. Trouble with transmissions is they end up on truck freight and get expensive to ship.

Boss9F100 05-13-2018 02:07 AM

I have the T-85 in my 1966 F100 Ranger and absolutely love it! Being my daily driver for just shy of a year would not trade for any other transmission for truck. I consistently get 20+ mpg local driving. With bone stock 352 itís amazing how it will pull hills in OD with little effort. Itís running 35 mph per 1000 rpm or
3.5 mph per 100 rpm. Amazing stuff for being 52 plus years old.

Crop Duster 05-13-2018 04:03 AM

Night shift
 

Originally Posted by Boss9F100 (Post 17980689)
I have the T-85 in my 1966 F100 Ranger and absolutely love it! Being my daily driver for just shy of a year would not trade for any other transmission for truck. I consistently get 20+ mpg local driving. With bone stock 352 itís amazing how it will pull hills in OD with little effort. Itís running 35 mph per 1000 rpm or
3.5 mph per 100 rpm. Amazing stuff for being 52 plus years old.

You must be working the night shift. I can understand that, I was stationed in AZ then flew there for a lot of years, too hot when the suns up!
What does that switch on the accelerator pedal bracket do?

Boss9F100 05-13-2018 04:08 AM


Originally Posted by Crop Duster (Post 17980709)
You must be working the night shift. I can understand that, I was stationed in AZ then flew there for a lot of years, too hot when the suns up!
What does that switch on the accelerator pedal bracket do?

accel switch is for kick down/passing gear.
If OP does not want to buy your extra parts I would be happy too.

Crop Duster 05-13-2018 04:42 AM

Ok, We will see what Troy Lee come up with. They are yours if he doesn't want them.

Troy_Lee 05-14-2018 09:06 PM

Sorry for the delay, I must say I am interested in the brackets, I only find the time to browse here & there. I love the praise of the T-85 Boss!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands