Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Noise from rear cab/bed area? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1538024-noise-from-rear-cab-bed-area.html)

Swamp_Yankee 04-27-2018 06:42 AM

Noise from rear cab/bed area?

Whenever I hit a bump in my 2012 F250 Supercab I hear a noise coming from either the rear of the cab and/or the bed area like something is loose and banging and squeaking as if a body panel isn't fully secured. However, I've poked around quite a bit back there and haven't found anything that seems obviously loose. Could it be something on the underside like a skid plate or heat shield? The truck did come with an aftermarket back rack, but that seems pretty secure as well.

DogRidesInBack 04-27-2018 07:46 AM

Spare tire?

FractureCritical 04-27-2018 08:36 AM

are your rails attaching the truck bed to the frame rotted out?
they come pre-rusted from the factory, so...

Swamp_Yankee 04-27-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by FractureCritical (Post 17952005)
are your rails attaching the truck bed to the frame rotted out?
they come pre-rusted from the factory, so...

I'll check this but I rolled around underneath the truck quite a bit prior to purchasing it and it was remarkably clean. It's an XL work package that was owned by a utility company but it doesn't seem to have ever plowed. It did see salt as the company was based in Massachusetts.

seville009 04-27-2018 12:03 PM

Shocks may be loose. Happened to me - top bolt in the rear driver’s side shock fell out. Took me about six months to figure out where the thumping was coming from

Batman7777 04-27-2018 12:27 PM

It could be a thousand things.. Spare tire was a good one.. Bed bolts, U-Bolts, Exhaust, etc etc

Get it on a lift and check it out..

jav_eee 04-27-2018 12:43 PM

Check between the bed and cab for foreign objects. I had a piece of wood fall in between that was causing some rattles...

DogRidesInBack 04-27-2018 03:50 PM

A rubber mallet banging around under the truck might cause the noise.

No, you likely don't have one banging around under there at the moment, but using one is a good way to make things vibrate without breaking them. As I said, it might cause the noise.

Tideman 04-27-2018 06:05 PM

Your rear (cab) body mount bushings are gone.:-X22

Swamp_Yankee 04-27-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack (Post 17952858)
A rubber mallet banging around under the truck might cause the noise. No, you likely don't have one banging around under there at the moment, but using one is a good way to make things vibrate without breaking them. As I said, it might cause the noise.

This. I stood in the bed of the truck today and gave the back rack a good whack with my fists and was able to replicate the noise. The rack is mounted pretty securely, but it vibrates just enough on bumpy roads. I'd like to find a way to quiet it as it is kind of annoying-maybe some rubber washers for the mounting bolts?

seville009 04-28-2018 03:18 AM

If the backrack is easy to remove, maybe do that and drive around a bit to be absolutely sure that was the cause.