Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Broke off EZ out (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1536580-broke-off-ez-out.html)

GeneGregory 04-16-2018 05:16 PM

Broke off EZ out

Well I was out bleeding the brakes on my truck today (F350) and got to the right front and broke off the bleeder valve in the caliper then against my better judgement I got out my EZouts and broke the EZout off in the broke off bleeder. So its time to stop before I make things even worse and ask what would you guys do next before I frick things up even more.

Dave145 04-16-2018 05:30 PM

I'd replace the caliper you broke the EZ out in, and use it as an excuse to replace/rebuild the other caliper as well.

deich 04-16-2018 05:30 PM

New caliper?

jakeharp 04-16-2018 05:34 PM

Ehh.....

That sucks man, ive never had an EZ out actually work for me before i stopped cuz it was ready to snap..... If your not hip on replacing caliper right out of the gate, you can drill out, tap-re-thread/heli coil, but I dont know how that would work with a bleeder hole, seeing the screw needs to sit married to the cavity in order to seal ............. :(

Filthy Beast 04-16-2018 06:19 PM

Another vote to replace the caliper. Drilling out an "EZ OUT" is more trouble than it's worth.

JRT812 04-16-2018 06:21 PM

bummer man and I have learned my lesson with the EZ Outs. Start from scratch like others have said.

scottscott 04-16-2018 06:32 PM

Its crude, may not work, & probably isn't the safest, but....

A couple of times I've run in to the same problem. I've been able to get the brake hose loose where it goes in to the caliper & have been sort of able to bleed the air out. Gravity bleeding seems to work best in this situation. Barely crack the hose so fluid just oozes out. Let it sit for a while, making sure the master doesn't run dry. Tighten the hose up, & hope for the best. When its late at night, the parts stores are closed, & you have to be on the road early in the AM you have to to what it takes.

Of course, a new caliper with a functioning bleeder is the correct way to go.

Jklnhyd 04-16-2018 07:34 PM

Use a grinder and grind the top of all the bad stuff, relatively flat. Then take the smallest drill bit that you have and very softly, start drilling down through the very center of where the hole should be. If you are off a bit, manipulate the bit until it is centered. Keep using bigger drill bits, and make sure you dont touch the original threads.

I have done this hundreds of times. I would rather try this than just pony up for calipers.

54Hydro 04-16-2018 09:35 PM

Drilling tool steel is a royal pain in the arse. You could try breaking the broken piece of the extractor with a center punch, doesn't always work. What type were you using? The spiral fluted style or straight?

GeneGregory 04-16-2018 09:51 PM

It was a spiral fluted the kind you screw in counter clockwise.

meangreen92 04-16-2018 10:28 PM

Can you access the bleeder screw from behind, if you pop the piston out of the caliper?

78Broncoinpieces 04-16-2018 10:48 PM

you can grind an EZ out with a stone or carbide bit. it will be a slow process. drilling with a regular drill bit ain't gonna happen. the EZ is too hard of a material for drill bits.

speedfreak78 04-17-2018 08:43 AM

To try and get out the EZ out, use a center punch and try to shatter the EZ out. If that works, you'll need to flush out the caliper really well to get any small shards of metal out. Otherwise you'll need a carbide drill/ endmill to drill it out. Looks like a reman caliper would be $75-100. I'd just swap calipers, not worth the time or hassle at that price.

JD Q 04-17-2018 10:52 AM

This is after the fact but a good set of left handed drills is a good thing to keep handy for removing plugs, screws and such. Just use the drill counter-clockwise on center, start small and work up 1/32" at a time to the minor thread diameter. Typically the thread will unscrew its-self out of the hole when the drill catches with enough force. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJ7RPD_BwE
However now, if you broke a well-made easy-out, it will need to be ground out or broke out. If you do get it out, you can always get a bleed screw that's a little larger.
A new caliper is the easiest path to take.

JakeHan 04-17-2018 02:14 PM

Weld a nut to it and screw it out, then get a new bleeder screw - if nothing else, the heat'll help knock it loose. Or, warm it with a torch and take it out using vice grips, if it isn't broken off flush.... There's a pretty good chance you'll break it off if it's that stuck, at which point it's time for a new caliper anyhow.......