Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Dang, lower alternator bolt stuck on my 69 F250, 360 engine... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1532596-dang-lower-alternator-bolt-stuck-on-my-69-f250-360-engine.html)

roguewave 03-17-2018 06:47 PM

Dang, lower alternator bolt stuck on my 69 F250, 360 engine...

well this thing is not breaking loose, previous owner probally stripped the bolt head so I went ahead and bought a set sockets that work on rounded bolt heads. My 3/8 drive gun would not break it loose, this is after me useing a breaker bar. So I pulled out my 1/2 drive big gun, it would not budge. Dang, what next? Does that long lower alternator bolt go into a water jacket or something?
Suggestions?

kenny nunez 03-17-2018 09:24 PM

Alternator bolt

Try to put a pipe wrench on the spacer between the block and alternator and rotate it, there may be corrosion between the 2 surfaces and if you can rotate it that may break the bolt loose. Or you can try a torch to heat the area where the bolt goes in the block.

Thipdar 03-17-2018 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by roguewave (Post 17869203)
well this thing is not breaking loose, previous owner probally stripped the bolt head so I went ahead and bought a set sockets that work on rounded bolt heads. My 3/8 drive gun would not break it loose, this is after me useing a breaker bar. So I pulled out my 1/2 drive big gun, it would not budge. Dang, what next? Does that long lower alternator bolt go into a water jacket or something?
Suggestions?

At this point, it sounds like you've already got a headache.

Should be two bolts, one pivot bolt & one to tighten in position when you're taking slack out of the V-belt.

Adjusting bolt goes to bracket, pivot bolt should go through a spacer, then gets set into the front of the block...

I have always been able to break it loose with a breaker bar.

Assuming the bolt won't move and that the head is rounded off, you might have to remove the head of the bolt, then bring the entire alternator assy. forward to slip it off of the pivot bolt. I'm not sure if there's enough room to do that. If you can slide the assy. off of that bolt, removing the bolt would then require a stud removing tool. If I could get it to this point, I think I'd try to break the threads loose by trying to screw the bolt in farther... any little bit of movement, then work the remainder of the bolt back and forth until it can be removed.

roguewave 03-18-2018 06:57 AM

Thanks guys, I will be back on it today putting your ideas to work.

kenny nunez 03-18-2018 09:31 AM

Alternator bolt

The bolt may be frozen inside the alternator. Remove the adjusting strut and try swinging the alternator back and forth, If it turns out that the bolt is frozen in the alternator you may have to drill into the area where the bolt is and break the housing to get it off.

mrpotatohead 03-18-2018 10:24 AM

A medium sized pipe wrench is your friend here.

67xr7kat 03-18-2018 11:06 AM

Re: Stuck alternator bolt

If you're dealing with the bolt that the alternator pivots on - drill a 1/8" hole in the aluminum alternator flange and another 1/8" hole in the steel, round spacer and soak with penetration oil, then heat.

roguewave 03-19-2018 07:29 AM

I used a vice grip on the spacer and started working it back and forth, finally got enough movement to loosen the alt and change the belt. Not looking forward to the day I have to replace the alt. and remove that bolt, no way it’s coming out.

thanks all for the help!

willowbilly3 03-19-2018 09:24 AM

I went to pull an alternator in the junkyard, big 74 buick. The aluminum alternator had completely fused itself to the bolt. It wasn't stuck in the block. Heat, lots of heat is about all that will work, make several heat/cool cycles.

roguewave 03-19-2018 09:28 AM

That makes sense, I think mine is the same.

GaryKip 03-20-2018 01:01 AM

The best thing I've found to act as a penetrating oil is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and type F tranny fluid. Far better than PB Blaster or WD-40.

Brian1971f100 03-20-2018 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by GaryKip (Post 17873920)
The best thing I've found to act as a penetrating oil is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and type F tranny fluid. Far better than PB Blaster or WD-40.

X2 on that. Lube it every day for a week. Then give a try.