Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2000 f250 V10 Shutter in OD along with bad fuel and oil consumption. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1528797-2000-f250-v10-shutter-in-od-along-with-bad-fuel-and-oil-consumption.html)

Dyork 02-18-2018 09:38 AM

2000 f250 V10 Shutter in OD along with bad fuel and oil consumption.

thanks for the add! Newbie here. I’m new to owning the 6.8 but not new to the 2V engine. I bought my truck recently with a blown out spark plug for cheap. It has 238k miles on it and was a fairly easy fix using the calvan parts. Upon repair the truck smoked very badly (white) for a day or so. I noticed after driving it a bit the smoke would stop after the engine warmed up. The truck had been sitting awhile and I figured it had some bad gas so I filled it up with fresh fuel and continued to drive it hoping all of the shuttering and smoking symptoms would eventually cease. I figured this truck was not taken care of and probably just needed plugs and coils. I changed those and it didn’t seem to help much. I did the engine carbon clean spray and that did make some difference. I am going to do it again today. My main concern is the oil consumption. I changed the pcv but it didn’t seem to make much difference. Right now it looks like I’ve got 1/4 tank left and my odometer says I’ve only driven 172 miles on this tank of fuel. Would carbon buildup cause the smoke and oil use if a valve is really really dirty? Anyone have anything else to suggest? I think my truck is a without ego but will check again. Thanks so much to all of you guys who have been posting here and other places for all these years. Much appreciated.

timjimmy 02-18-2018 09:58 AM

I would suggest renting a compression tester and testing all the cylinders. Worn cylinders and piston rings can cause oil to leak into cylinders and burn, as well as a lose of adequate compression would make the truck run like crap. You should be able to get a loaner kit from most auto parts stores and get a full refund when you return it. That would be a good start.

If it reacted well to some engine cleaning, but two cans of Seafoam. Dump one in the fuel tank before filling up. Get the engine nice and hot then take the other can and unplug the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the brake booster. Leave the hose plugged into the intake, and take the brake booster side of the hose and place it into the second can of Seafoam while the engine is running. It will shudder, sputter and want to die, but vacuum up the can of fluid as fast as the engine will accept it without dying. As soon as the can is empty, shut the engine off. Let it sit for about 20 minutes for the cleaner to penetrate and break up oil and varnish deposits, then drive it like you stole it. It will initially smoke like crazy, but that's the best way that I've found to clean out an upper engine. I don't like using the method of spraying cleaner into the engine because it takes too long for the can to get sprayed into the engine that most of it gets burned up and isn't able to soak into the engine. I'm not very familiar with the vacuum lines on that particular engine, but the closer you can get a vacuum line to the air filter, the better. Ideally, you use a vacuum line that is upstream of the throttle body so it can get distributed to the entire engine.

4XBuilder 02-18-2018 03:46 PM

My 2001 f-250 V10 had a similar condition. I changed the plugs, coils, air filter, and did the seam foam/steam treatment and it smoothed right up.

Djosbun 02-18-2018 07:28 PM

I would bet that you have multiple cylinders with low compression. Every one of your symptoms points to this.

— Dave

Dyork 02-23-2018 02:32 PM

Well I finally got a break in the weather to try the seafoam. It smoked really hard for about a mile then cleared up. It didn’t seem to help much. I have noticed it does get better with octane boost or fuel injector cleaner but when I fill it with pure gas it runs rougher. I cleaned the maf while I was in there. I have a compression tester but I didn’t use it when I was putting plugs in because it pulls hard and runs pretty well otherwise. I will add I did a spark plug Re thread when I first got the vehicle

Dyork 02-24-2018 11:14 PM

UPDATE

I tested all the cylinders that had random misfires and they all came back around 125-150ish. I’ve heard of intake manifolds leaking I’m going to check there tomorrow.

Bsider5t8 03-08-2018 09:32 PM

Keep me up-to-date as my 99 has the same issues and will pass along any thing l have for you...As for the sea foam on the back of the throttle body there is a vacume hose that works wonders

Evan_P 03-09-2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dyork (Post 17823748)
I tested all the cylinders that had random misfires and they all came back around 125-150ish. I’ve heard of intake manifolds leaking I’m going to check there tomorrow.

You want to test ALL cylinders and see how much they vary in compression.

SDSC4X4 03-10-2018 04:31 PM

White smoke usually indicates coolant leaking into a cylinder. Have you added coolant? Usually a bad head gasket if these engines do it. but could be getting into #1 oe #6 cylinders from the front coolant crossover on the lower intake.