Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transit Connect (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum228/)
-   -   Recent Article on TC Marketing to Boomers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527981-recent-article-on-tc-marketing-to-boomers.html)

YoGeorge 02-12-2018 07:01 AM

Recent Article on TC Marketing to Boomers

It looks like Ford is doing what it should have done with the introduction of the Transit Connect--actually marketing it toward a population segment that buys vehicles. It makes sense as a budget version of a minivan for baby boomers who need to carry stuff. (I am one of those but find the TC a bit small.) No news on them making the seats less complex to fold, although I suppose I could get used to that...but I like my Grand Caravan OK for now.

Good luck to Ford....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...van/312386002/

EvanBly 02-13-2018 10:25 AM

Yo, George;

Interesting article. I had no idea that the TC was coming out with diesel power plant. There is a question on this forum regarding a TC diesel but I assumed that questioner must be in Europe where the diesel is a standard offering.

Also, you might want to check out the recent forum questions by Michael. I suspect that you might have some answers.

In terms of what has taken Ford so long to seriously market the TC, I suspect the company has done a soft opening primarily directed at the business community--thereby getting a feel for how the vehicle holds up under commercial use. That Ford is now going for the larger market suggests that the TC is probably doing just fine.

YoGeorge 02-13-2018 12:20 PM

Hey Evan:

They are shooting to put the 1.5 liter diesel into the 2019 TC. We shall see if they can meet emissions requirements within all of the pertinent laws. And yes, it's amazing how little advertising Ford has done on the TC. I found the cabin a bit tight and narrow and the vertical room lacking for bicycles standing up in fork mounts (especially after coming out of 30 years of a full size van) and like the plushier Grand Caravan, but the TC continues to be appealing.

No idea if I can help this other guy but I'll look at his Q's...

Here is more on the diesel: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/08/...d-a-new-gas-e/

EvanBly 02-13-2018 12:48 PM

George;

The Grand Caravan is, in my estimation, a great vehicle. It has been out for a long time and my friends who have them keep them.

As far diesel is concerned, I used to like diesel engines, they were simple, got great mileage, and lasted. The new ones have gained a lot of electronic wonderments and it seems like most of the new ones require a fuel additive. The extra price of a diesel engine is also off-putting. Add to all of that the price of diesel fuel and it seems to me like diesel may not be the best way to go. That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking with it.

YoGeorge 02-13-2018 01:56 PM

I agree that diesel is hard to justify on small vehicles in particular. Any fuel savings would take a long time to make up the initial cost, and if diesels continue to be rare in the US, parts and service may end up being a problem. I know a guy who had a Jeep Liberty with a diesel and he had a lot of problems with it.

There is a big advantage to having a drivetrain that is used in a great many vehicles which is the case with your TC. Even though the TC is not sold in huge numbers, the engine and trans are common with the Escape which means parts and service are everywhere.

I bought a lifetime warranty on the G Caravan because I don't trust the etronics over the long haul but so far it has worked very well for our needs and is a comfortable traveler. I have no regrets about my choice after almost 2 years.

Take care,
George

Im50fast 11-22-2018 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 17792833)
It looks like Ford is doing what it should have done with the introduction of the Transit Connect--actually marketing it toward a population segment that buys vehicles. It makes sense as a budget version of a minivan for baby boomers who need to carry stuff. (I am one of those but find the TC a bit small.) No news on them making the seats less complex to fold, although I suppose I could get used to that...but I like my Grand Caravan OK for now.

Good luck to Ford....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...van/312386002/

i clicked the link and only saw a bunch of pictures and captions (of which a few had Jim Belushi with a TC).
Id like to read the article.

Hey YoGeorge, I recently added a 2012 Ram C/V to my fleet. You had suggested this to me in a conversation months ago. I like the vehicle a lot.
also I have a 2012 Transit Connect and 2005 Chevy HHR and 2005 E250 and 2014 Ford Focus “cargo version” (lol I hope you remember )

YoGeorge 11-22-2018 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 18320890)

i clicked the link and only saw a bunch of pictures and captions (of which a few had Jim Belushi with a TC).
Id like to read the article.

Hey YoGeorge, I recently added a 2012 Ram C/V to my fleet. You had suggested this to me in a conversation months ago. I like the vehicle a lot.
also I have a 2012 Transit Connect and 2005 Chevy HHR and 2005 E250 and 2014 Ford Focus “cargo version” (lol I hope you remember )

Good to hear you got a Ram C/V. They only made that package for a few years and replaced it with that little Ram/Fiat thing. The Pentastar engine is a real good powerhouse with almost the same horsepower as the 5.4 in the big vans had. It's not a hardcore truck like an E-van, but it's fairly tough compared to compact-car based vans and SUV's. And the payload is pretty good...and you can put a 4x8' sheet of something on the floor... And parts are everywhere given the commonality with the passenger vans.

They use that same V6 drivetrain in the big Ram vans....which can be huge.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here,
George

Fifty150 12-23-2018 12:55 AM

Diesel is an interesting option. I like being able to use Bio-Diesel. Only problem that I have with diesel is that fuel distribution is limited. In my area, most filling stations do not offer diesel.

2 things that would make me say no. 1st is reliability. If I purchase a diesel, I want to know that it's a reliable engine. In use long enough that there is enough information regarding it's reliability, and the manufacturer has already corrected whichever design flaws there may be. 2nd is price. The higher pricing of a diesel may not be worth it, since today's gasoline engines are lasting much longer.