Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   HD4R100 - Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527468-hd4r100-question.html)

mtbraun 02-08-2018 08:30 AM

HD4R100 - Question

4 Attachment(s)
I just got a HD4R100 for my son's 2001 F250 from my local Ford dealer. When looking at the trans I noticed the case prep was horrible and they just painted over a bunch of crud and grease on the case.

It's probably nothing and I assume the trans is built fine and there will be no issues. But I can't help think that with case prep this poor that something else was left to slide.

What would you guys do?

Attachment 258127

Attachment 258128

Attachment 258129

Attachment 258130

DieselDenny 02-08-2018 08:58 AM

Roll with it!!!

You have a warranty.

Denny

Sous 02-08-2018 09:08 AM

If it were me (I have no ability, tools or knowledge of how to replace a transmission) I would also install it. Although, I would provide some feedback to the parts department/dealer GM that you bought it from showing them that you were not satisfied with the prep work done to the transmission. At worst they will say "thanks" and send you on your way. At best, you may be offered with something "to make it right".

I would not worry about the internals at all, but would provide feedback to the dealer.

pirschwagon 02-08-2018 12:41 PM

IMO: The outside also reflects the inside. Craftsmanship is a lost Art.

Colorado350 02-08-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by pirschwagon (Post 17785042)

I agree completely! I'd bring it back and ask them Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Can you easily scrap the grease off that's under the paint? The Dealership charges a premium because they feel they provide a premium product and services. Auto Zone offers a Lifetime Warranty too, but who pays you for your time of swapping out their low quality parts????

Sous 02-08-2018 04:12 PM

After some thought, I have switched sides and am standing with Pirschwagon and Colorado350. I looked closer this time and see a lot of issues with the paint, not just a few.

BBslider001 02-08-2018 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by pirschwagon (Post 17785042)

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 17785264)

I agree completely! I'd bring it back and ask them Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Can you easily scrap the grease off that's under the paint? The Dealership charges a premium because they feel they provide a premium product and services. Auto Zone offers a Lifetime Warranty too, but who pays you for your time of swapping out their low quality parts????

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17785415)
After some thought, I have switched sides and am standing with Pirschwagon and Colorado350. I looked closer this time and see a lot of issues with the paint, not just a few.

What these guys said....send that ****e back. Those are good transmissions, but WTF? I'd bring it back and set it on the service floor until they exchanged it or gave me my money.

Walleye Hunter 02-09-2018 07:27 AM

What I do with things like that is take it back and show it to them then ask them how they would feel if they had just paid xx$ for that.

CampSpringsJohn 02-09-2018 07:39 AM

I hope it works for you. I could have cleaned that transmission better with a putty knife. It would have looked better had it been steam cleaned and not painted.

F250_ 02-09-2018 07:51 AM

For the kind of money I know you paid for it, those pictures are certainly disappointing, to say the least. If you can afford the extended downtime on the truck, send it back with a well described detail of why.

schlepprock250 02-09-2018 11:23 AM

I disagree, the way it was sent to you is obviously protocol. As long as it performs well who cares. You have warranty if it fails. I'm afraid you're gonna go through all the return arguments and hassle only to receive the next one in the same condition. Just install it and drive it.

hydro man 17 02-09-2018 01:23 PM

In this case you may just be able "to judge a book by it's cover". If they did not feel that it is/was necessary to clean up the outside it leaves me to wonder how they treated the inside.

guitarpicr 02-09-2018 01:58 PM

Yes - A wire brush & a good pressure wash would have gone a long way b4 paint. That is just sloppy workmanship. That said it will probly not affect the way the internals work.

hydro man 17 02-09-2018 02:14 PM

"Yes - A wire brush & a good pressure wash would have gone a long way b4 paint. That is just sloppy workmanship. That said it will probly not affect the way the internals work."
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Hopefully that is the case. I just believe that sloppy is as sloppy does.

mtbraun 02-09-2018 02:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Our first reaction was to send it back. However, since we bought the trans on a neighbor/friend mechanic's account at the dealer we have to be careful how much we push. We don't want our friend to be inadvertently "punished" by some scorned parts manager who he has to deal with on a regular basis. In addition we need to get the truck back on the road and can't really wait another 7-10 days for a replacement.

That, and the warranty makes me more comfortable to install it. Its more a matter of principle and sloppy exterior finish. If the tranny isn't built well internally I'm guessing it will fail relatively soon and the dealership can have the problem then.

My son talked to the neighbor friend and at my suggestion went back to the dealer with the transmission and requested the Parts Manager. The dealer didn't say much about the finish but said he would return it if we wanted to, if we paid freight!

In addition to this, my son was crafty enough to call the dealer from the body shop he works at and price out the same trans. The dealer quoted him $300 less than he charged the mechanic who has an account at the dealer! When confronted with this, the Parts Manager started to squirm a bit. My son took him up one side and down the other. He's only 17 years old, so I'm pretty proud of how he handled the situation. No name calling, just the facts with absolute clarity this was unacceptable.

About all we can do at this point is provide local and Ford corporate level feedback on the dealership's service, which we plan to do.