Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Clogged Crankcase Breather? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527315-clogged-crankcase-breather.html)

nolszewski 02-06-2018 09:59 PM

Clogged Crankcase Breather?

Hi,

I have a lot of smoke coming out of the crankcase breather on the driver side valve cover, oil fill cap, and dipstick tube when the truck is up to operating temp. I've done some research and got the idea I may have an issue with the crankcase ventilation system. Is this correct? Or is it something else? I have absolutely no air pressure coming out of my oil fill cap. I know some smoke is normal, but I can see the smoke leak out from under the hood if I look closely enough.

Thanks for your time

Nathan

z31freakify 02-07-2018 05:28 PM

Could be clogged, easy enough to remove it and clean it with parts cleaner. Also how old is your oil? Try changing it woth another brand next go around.

Talyn 02-08-2018 01:40 PM

I took the filter out of mine and it vents straight to the back bumper.

nolszewski 02-08-2018 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. So is a clogged breather a diagnosis for smoke? Since I don’t have abnormal blowby? I’m not sure what’s causing it

Talyn 02-08-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nolszewski (Post 17785198)
Thanks for the replies. So is a clogged breather a diagnosis for smoke? Since I don’t have abnormal blowby? I’m not sure what’s causing it

Blowby has oil in it.
inside the breather is a mesh screen. That will eventually load up with so much oil it doesn't "filter" anymore.

Most of us flip it around and send it to atmosphere as the turbo system will suck oil into the turbo through the breather.

I had mine flipped around for a while with the filter and it just wasn't making me happy, so i pulled the screen out.
I figure if anything wants to crawl up 15 feet of tubing into the motor, let it go for it.

oldbird1965 02-09-2018 08:35 PM

Hi Talyn, mine is to the back of the drivers door without any level spots or up turns. I don't see how you can get it back to the back bumper without any spots where the oil can pool causing back pressure?

RÖENTGEEP 02-14-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 17788165)
Hi Talyn, mine is to the back of the drivers door without any level spots or up turns. I don't see how you can get it back to the back bumper without any spots where the oil can pool causing back pressure?

When I did the mod, it went back to the back bumper, and yes its impossible going straight, and thinking about those possible pools I cut it and now, is like yours in the back of the drivers door, and at the begining going over the break booster. :-X22

:-drink

Talyn 02-16-2018 02:16 PM

Mines got bows it in all the way.

I dropped it a while back and barely any oil came out of it.

If you got a ton of oil in yours, then you got some issues.

You also have to make sure you run it up and over the brake booster before you run it down.