Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Turn signal wiring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1525195-turn-signal-wiring.html)

rsylvstr 01-22-2018 05:15 PM

Turn signal wiring

4 Attachment(s)
Aka multi function switch.

Typical tilt the steering wheel down, something goes wrong. Mine was the right rear turn signal wouldn’t work and gave me the “fast blink” like a bad bulb.

Took the three screws out, popped apart the collar around the steering column and then pried off the ignition switch (just the black part) so I could slide the upper part of the column up the transmission select lever.

The pics are what I was faced with.
Hitting NAPA tomorrow so I can get a few square connectors.
Brushing on two layers of liquid electrical tape on the exposed wires you see so I don’t have to take them out.

Shocked how loose ALL the connectors are. Wish me luck in putting tje three wires in the right spot. I have a schematic but don’t think it matches.

The lone wire insulation with no wire showing looks like it has been that way for a while. Unsure what it goes to but I didn’t notice anything not working.

rsylvstr 01-22-2018 05:40 PM

These are the two parts of anyone needs to replace. I’m hoping I don’t.

Motorcraft WPT611 (says 9 leads. Mine uses 7)
And WPT179

rsylvstr 01-22-2018 08:17 PM

Looks like it is “trailer tow output?@
WTH does that do?
https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/up...2_234909_2.gif

projectSHO89 01-22-2018 08:19 PM

That drawing's description is screwy, I saw the same thing in my EVTM. I suspect it's an error.

The orange/light blue is the feed to the right rear stop/turn lamp according to the schematics.

rsylvstr 01-22-2018 08:21 PM

Thanks! Shocked it was working at times the way that looks

rsylvstr 01-22-2018 08:22 PM

Any more accurate drawing you have seen?
Guessing where those three go.
Surprised the Motorcraft oem plugs with pigtails, all the pigtails are black.

alloro 01-23-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rsylvstr (Post 17744987)
Shocked how loose ALL the connectors are.

You're not the first, a lot have had this same issue which is a result of the tilt wheel going up and down with a wiring harness that has little to no slack.

rsylvstr 01-23-2018 12:24 PM

After stopping at four NAPA stores, I don’t think they have this size.

Bought two at ford, come with pigtails which is a good thing.

PN 101041. $8.70 total with tax for two.

That and some liquid electrical tape to try to hold the rest of them in.

****these are 14 gauge and the originals are 18 gauge. Will that provide too much resistance??? ***

Sam I Am 01-23-2018 01:57 PM

Something I am curious about, do other people adjust the steering wheel tilt every time they get in and out of the truck? Because for me it is a one time deal, set it how I like it and that's where it stays.

rsylvstr 01-23-2018 02:36 PM

Adjust each time

Sam I Am 01-23-2018 03:22 PM

Regarding the all black wiring, it may have small printing on each wire that describes each circuit. Many manufacturers do this even to harnesses with different colored wires to accommodate color blind people. I have also seen some contractors order their extension cables and air hoses with their company name printed every foot or so along the entire length of each piece.

Originally Posted by rsylvstr (Post 17747327)
Adjust each time

I kinda figured that, I guess what I should have asked is why do you find that necessary? Because I have never had an issue with the tilt mechanism or related wiring in any vehicle I have owned, so it may be that manufacturers do not design them to withstand so many cycles of movement. So with that possibility in mind, what would make you feel the need to adjust it each time while I do not feel that need?
Do you prefer to drive with it all the way down?
Are you a large person or are certain aspects of your physical presence disproportionately sized (BMI/BCA %?) that it requires the steering wheel to be out of the way for ingress/egress?
I don't mean this to sound like "me good, you bad" but there is obviously something getting overworked to result in some users trucks breaking from repeated use while others have no issues.
I set mine so that it as low as possible while still being able to view all the gauges. And at that setting I am easily able to climb in and out comfortably with no issues. I am pretty much an exact "crash test dummy" size low BMI, 6' even, etc.

rsylvstr 01-23-2018 04:21 PM

one word, habit.

rsylvstr 01-23-2018 04:22 PM

I picked up 14 gauge pigtails.

**** the originals are 18 gauge. Will that provide too much resistance??? ***

alloro 01-25-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sam I Am (Post 17747210)
Something I am curious about, do other people adjust the steering wheel tilt every time they get in and out of the truck?

Some people share a vehicle and the seats, mirrors, and tilt wheel are always getting adjusted.

rsylvstr 01-26-2018 04:52 PM

All fixed. Probably saved 2-3 hours of book labor.
Slathered liquid electrical tape.
Replaced one of the wire ends with pigtail.
Tested. Wiper functions all checked good. Flash to pass. High and low beams. All good.

No hazards.
No blinkers.
Nooooooo. So I figured the switch was bad or the top plug was AFU.
RTFOM. Sure enough, 20a fuse was blown. Probably because I never disconnected the battery or pulled a fuse before working on it.

Buttoned her up and now we can haul the wheeler and ride tomorrow.