Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   Goodyear Endurance? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523873-goodyear-endurance.html)

Sous 01-13-2018 07:43 AM

Goodyear Endurance?

Is the verdict in yet?

Last time we left off they were "not as good" as Saliun, but much better than the last GY Marathons. First hand experience is great, but second hand experience is good too. If you have been reading about the tires on another forum somewhere, a summarized opinion on them would be welcome.

Any stories of exploding like China bombs or Marathons?

Odd wear patterns?

Bubbles or deformities in the tires showing up?

Thanks for your input, not only for my sake, but for the sake of other readers and people considering the GY Endurance tires.

senix 01-13-2018 07:47 AM

I am running them and so far they are working perfectly. I have bumped up my travel speed with them to 70 mph vs the 65 with the china bombs.

Wearing good so far.

Cabindweller 01-13-2018 08:17 AM

I plan on installing them before spring arrives.

ssunit1 01-13-2018 12:46 PM

Put the Endurance on last summer. Few thousand miles and no issues. Seem to have good wear and ride and piece of mind vs. the China Bombs I got rid of.

Larrymac52 01-13-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17722227)
Is the verdict in yet?

Last time we left off they were "not as good" as Saliun, but much better than the last GY Marathons. First hand experience is great, but second hand experience is good too. If you have been reading about the tires on another forum somewhere, a summarized opinion on them would be welcome.

Any stories of exploding like China bombs or Marathons?

Odd wear patterns?

Bubbles or deformities in the tires showing up?

Thanks for your input, not only for my sake, but for the sake of other readers and people considering the GY Endurance tires.

Is there a reason you finally chose them over the Sailuns?

Sous 01-14-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Larrymac52 (Post 17723163)
Is there a reason you finally chose them over the Sailuns?

I have a couple of concerns about the Sailuns, they are below.
  1. I cannot say for certain that my rims are capable of withstanding 100-110 PSI. I tried to contact the manufacturer and received no response. I tried to contact Saliun and received information stating that I could run them at 80 PSI, but they would not be up to the sidewall strength that they should be.

Golfmedik was nice enough to post this chart in another thread for me.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a12c3664b7.jpg

As you can see, the PSI rating goes down, but I don't know if this is just to show at what PSI the tire is considered to be in for the different rating (C, D, E, etc), or if this means that the tire could safely be ran at the lower PSI. For me personally, I am not comfortable with inflating a 110 PSI tire to 80 PSI and then trying to turn or back into a spot on that sidewall that may not be up to the task.

2. Some on the internet claim that the rim PSI rating is negligible and what really sets the max PSI on the rim is the valve stem. I don't know for sure about that either, just know what I have read. Again, I don't want to push a rim that is rated to run at 80 PSI up to 110 PSI just to see what happens.

3. Some claim that the Sailuns running at 110 PSI are too stiff of a tire for a trailer rated to run at 80 PSI. They cause the body/living space of the camper to get "beat up" too much, or more than they would or did on the 80 PSI tires. Again, I don't know if this is true and I have not seen it first hand. Just passing along my thoughts. The last thing I want to do is make something worse by trying to make it better.

4. I have not taken a wheel completely off my trailer yet to verify 100% that they are not capable of running the 110 PSI Sailun, but from what I could see the only information stamped on the inside of the wheel is this.

Originally Posted by My rim information from another thread (Post 17390889)

Sendel 5134 B3 16x6J - This is the make and model of the wheel, but very little to no information on Google about it in regards to PSI rating.

Max Load 3580 lbs - I am attempting to correlate this rating to the PSI rating.

I could upgrade to 8 lug wheels, but doing this so I can run the Sailun tires seems a bit silly to me. The price would increase substantially and is unnecessary really if you get down to it.
So, this leaves me with some of the other name brands and the GY Endurance, the new kid to the party. I hope this helps you understand why I have not totally discounted the Sailuns, but they are not at the top of the list either.

senix 01-14-2018 08:14 AM

Went to a RV show at the Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly, VA yesterday.

All the Airstreams and several of the others had Goodyear Endurance tires on them.

Course several still had the China bombs as well, but they are making their way into the manufacture process it would appear.

Sous 01-14-2018 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 17724033)
Went to a RV show at the Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly, VA yesterday.

All the Airstreams and several of the others had Goodyear Endurance tires on them.

Course several still had the China bombs as well, but they are making their way into the manufacture process it would appear.

Dangit! I just went to an RV show last weekend (see my post about the Montana with the full sized tub in it) and completely forgot to look for GY Endurance tires on the trailers. We had a good time, but I should have looked at the tires because I would have liked to see them in person...

jsm180 01-14-2018 08:52 AM

I just bought one from Discount Tire for my car hauler. I wanted Carlisle but the rep told me they are phasing out Carlisle for Goodyear.

Larrymac52 01-14-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17724023)
I have a couple of concerns about the Sailuns, they are below.
  1. I cannot say for certain that my rims are capable of withstanding 100-110 PSI. I tried to contact the manufacturer and received no response. I tried to contact Saliun and received information stating that I could run them at 80 PSI, but they would not be up to the sidewall strength that they should be.

Golfmedik was nice enough to post this chart in another thread for me.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a12c3664b7.jpg

As you can see, the PSI rating goes down, but I don't know if this is just to show at what PSI the tire is considered to be in for the different rating (C, D, E, etc), or if this means that the tire could safely be ran at the lower PSI. For me personally, I am not comfortable with inflating a 110 PSI tire to 80 PSI and then trying to turn or back into a spot on that sidewall that may not be up to the task.

2. Some on the internet claim that the rim PSI rating is negligible and what really sets the max PSI on the rim is the valve stem. I don't know for sure about that either, just know what I have read. Again, I don't want to push a rim that is rated to run at 80 PSI up to 110 PSI just to see what happens.

3. Some claim that the Sailuns running at 110 PSI are too stiff of a tire for a trailer rated to run at 80 PSI. They cause the body/living space of the camper to get "beat up" too much, or more than they would or did on the 80 PSI tires. Again, I don't know if this is true and I have not seen it first hand. Just passing along my thoughts. The last thing I want to do is make something worse by trying to make it better.

4. I have not taken a wheel completely off my trailer yet to verify 100% that they are not capable of running the 110 PSI Sailun, but from what I could see the only information stamped on the inside of the wheel is this.

I could upgrade to 8 lug wheels, but doing this so I can run the Sailun tires seems a bit silly to me. The price would increase substantially and is unnecessary really if you get down to it.
So, this leaves me with some of the other name brands and the GY Endurance, the new kid to the party. I hope this helps you understand why I have not totally discounted the Sailuns, but they are not at the top of the list either.

I have never heard of a Sailun failure, but like you I wondered how a trailer could survive with the pounding it could receive. I still don’t know what to think. Excellent reply btw, thanks

Sous 01-14-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Larrymac52 (Post 17724304)
I have never heard of a Sailun failure, but like you I wondered how a trailer could survive with the pounding it could receive. I still don’t know what to think. Excellent reply btw, thanks

Absolutely, you are welcome. I have not heard of a failure either, but I would not want to be "that guy" that was running a Sailun at 80 PSI and things go bad when I am on the road. This sole thought has me leaning toward the GY Endurance. I think they have come down in price a bit too, so that is good.

69cj 01-14-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jsm180 (Post 17724119)
I just bought one from Discount Tire for my car hauler. I wanted Carlisle but the rep told me they are phasing out Carlisle for Goodyear.

I've been running the Carlisles for 3 years now with no problems and no abnormal wear.

Super Duty DJ 01-17-2018 11:10 AM

I put the Goodyear Endurance tires on my rig last fall and I have about 1000 miles on them over two trips with no issues at all. While I did upgrade wheels from the stock 15" that came on my trailer with the China Bombs on them to 16" wheels, the difference in weight between the new wheel and tire combination and the old one was pretty astounding, probably on the order of 12-15 pounds each.

I commented on running the Sailuns at 110 psi in the other thread the OP had going, but didn't necessarily articulate my position exceptionally well. At the end of the day, the suspension on your trailer isn't all that different than the suspension on your truck, except that it likely doesn't have shocks. Running a Load Range G tire like the Sailun aired to max pressure on your trailer would be very similar to doing the same thing on your truck, especially if the GVWR of each vehicle is reasonably similar. I know that I wouldn't want to ride in a Super Duty with Load Range G tires aired up to 110 psi because you would feel every small bump in the road.

Sous 01-17-2018 11:26 AM

Thank you for your contribution to the thread and restating your thoughts. Your point of the Sailun tires being too stiff is valid and well taken. I didn't want to bring the original post back to the top or piggyback on that one because I have pretty much decided that the Sailun is not the right tire for my application.

Although, I did want to seek out information based on first had experience, or second hand (opinions read on other forums) experience on the GY Endurance tires.

scraprat 01-17-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ (Post 17732302)
I put the Goodyear Endurance tires on my rig last fall and I have about 1000 miles on them over two trips with no issues at all. While I did upgrade wheels from the stock 15" that came on my trailer with the China Bombs on them to 16" wheels, the difference in weight between the new wheel and tire combination and the old one was pretty astounding, probably on the order of 12-15 pounds each.

I commented on running the Sailuns at 110 psi in the other thread the OP had going, but didn't necessarily articulate my position exceptionally well. At the end of the day, the suspension on your trailer isn't all that different than the suspension on your truck, except that it likely doesn't have shocks. Running a Load Range G tire like the Sailun aired to max pressure on your trailer would be very similar to doing the same thing on your truck, especially if the GVWR of each vehicle is reasonably similar. I know that I wouldn't want to ride in a Super Duty with Load Range G tires aired up to 110 psi because you would feel every small bump in the road.

Explained it very well. :-X22