Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Lincoln rear disk brakes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1520583-lincoln-rear-disk-brakes.html)

jniolon 12-19-2017 09:00 AM

Lincoln rear disk brakes

Back in the '90s I used a '75 Lincoln Mark IV rear end... 9" with disc brakes.
Now I'm trying to put the disc brakes back together and my memory is somewhat fuzzy... I can't seem to get all the pieces together with two hands, insert it into the caliper bracket and slide the wedge and spring into the slot and hammer it in before bolting it...

My main problem is the inboard pad doesn't have anything that holds it in place until it is actually in place... and my fat fingers just won't work they way they need to to do this., so I must be missing something

Anyone with any experience with these Lincoln brakes ??? It's not the Versailles rear... just a Mark IV... I'd love to find a step by step like in a Motor manual.. I need to lead by my bit sometimes.

I'll get some pics taken today

thanks
John

yamagrant 12-19-2017 12:29 PM

Can You Use silicone to adhere the pads to the caliper. Let it set up, then try again. The silicone will also help the pads from vibrating, causing a squeal. Good luck.:-X22

NumberDummy 12-19-2017 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jniolon (Post 17667156)
Back in the '90s I used a '75 Lincoln Continental Mark IV rear end... 9" with disc brakes.

Now I'm trying to put the disc brakes back together and my memory is somewhat fuzzy... I can't seem to get all the pieces together with two hands, insert it into the caliper bracket and slide the wedge and spring into the slot and hammer it in before bolting it...

My main problem is the inboard pad doesn't have anything that holds it in place until it is actually in place... and my fat fingers just won't work they way they need to to do this., so I must be missing something

Continental Mark IV same as Thunderbird, similar to LTD/Granada.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...96d3704fc9.jpg

jniolon 12-19-2017 02:44 PM

Grant... silicone might just dothe trick...

Bill, I guess the anti rattle clips are supposed to hold the pad in place during install ???

john

jniolon 12-19-2017 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill, looking at your blow out diagram and the inside pad... I don't recognize the circular thingy on the back of the pad (in the red circle) is that part of the pad ???

My replacements don't have this

skuzzybucket 12-19-2017 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jniolon (Post 17667960)
Grant... silicone might just dothe trick...

Bill, I guess the anti rattle clips are supposed to hold the pad in place during install ???

john

Yes, but they are hard to get in there straight. Just use slight pressure, and push from top bottom same time, or clip will pop off

NumberDummy 12-19-2017 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jniolon (Post 17667972)
Bill, looking at your blow out diagram and the inside pad.

I don't recognize the circular thingy on the back of the pad (in the red circle) is that part of the pad???
Yes.

My replacements don't have this

Notice in the pic that the 2200 disc pad includes it.

skuzzybucket 12-19-2017 07:28 PM

John, that's the inside Pad.

jniolon 12-19-2017 08:22 PM

yea... I know... having trouble keeping it in place when installing the caliper and realized that i needed the anti-rattle springs to hold it... but that pad in the diagram doesn't resemble mine... mine is smooth on the back without the ring thing... can't seem to find an example like that on the net

skuzzybucket 12-20-2017 06:19 AM

Ring thing is probably factory Ford. Long gone, forever forgotten
That would have set in/on the cup of the caliper

The aftermarket pad will be smooth, just like the outside pad
Once you hit the brake pedal for the first time, and "set" the pad in place on the rotor, the gap will be filled