Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Truck dies after couple min of driving (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515455-truck-dies-after-couple-min-of-driving.html)

kx125str99 12-16-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hydro man 17 (Post 17661459)
Just a shot in the dark here. Is there a radio or TV station/transmitter near where your truck dies? There were a few folks a while back with similar issues that had flaky ground connections that would not shield the electronics from outside RF interference.

There is a cb base station up the street. But it does it at same spot if i go down the street every time. It’s weird.

Hussler 12-16-2017 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by hydro man 17 (Post 17661459)
Just a shot in the dark here. Is there a radio or TV station/transmitter near where your truck dies? There were a few folks a while back with similar issues that had flaky ground connections that would not shield the electronics from outside RF interference.

I too was going to mention this.

Originally Posted by kx125str99 (Post 17661471)
There is a cb base station up the street. But it does it at same spot if i go down the street every time. It’s weird.

Can you go the other way?

kx125str99 12-16-2017 09:03 PM

Well i guess i busted a total dur move. I never checked the oil. Who would have thought. Was low on oil added oil and have driven a couple times and go right past the spot where it was dying. Hope that solved my issue. Now i just need to figure out why it was so low. Thanks for all your help guys. Greatly appreciated.

Ford79 12-17-2017 07:53 AM

I just saw this thread today and was going to say check the oil level. I've seen it so many times it's not funny.

Brother Les 12-18-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kx125str99 (Post 17662062)
Well i guess i busted a total dur move. I never checked the oil. Who would have thought. Was low on oil added oil and have driven a couple times and go right past the spot where it was dying. Hope that solved my issue. Now i just need to figure out why it was so low. Thanks for all your help guys. Greatly appreciated.

You are welcome for the suggestion.

Happened to me twice in 15 years. Had no clue on where the oil went....??? No heavy smoke or anything like that. I always keep a gallon of oil behind the seat.

You may have been on some incline and there was not enough oil at the pick up. Oil pressure keeps the injectors open. No oil.. no oil pressure, injectors close and engine dies slowly as the injectors close. this goes for issues with the oil pump also.

jimjokjv 12-18-2017 02:36 PM

How low does the oil have to be to shut the truck down?

F250_ 12-18-2017 03:13 PM

It has to be below the tip of the dipstick tube, at least for my truck, anyway... and that's 2+ gallons LOW. Once the sump level is that low, the low pressure oil pump just cannot get enough oil into it's suction to keep adequate flow to the engine, and the low oil pressure switch shuts down the engine to prevent damage from inadequate lubrication.

Since it's the oil pressure sensor which provides the signal for the "shut down" decision, it can happen because either

1) the switch itself is "sick" (bad signal) or
2) there really is low oil flow. The low oil flow can be due to either a) low oil level in the sump. b) a really weak (badly worn) low pressure oil pump, or c) a combination of the two with thick cold oil which is more difficult to pump (i.e. 15w40 in really cold weather).

Just for another tidbit... a weak fuel pump or a plugged pickup line in the fuel tank can give you nearly the exact same symptoms.

jimjokjv 12-18-2017 08:21 PM

Thanks, that covers it perfectly.

Brother Les 12-19-2017 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jimjokjv (Post 17665377)
How low does the oil have to be to shut the truck down?

The two times that this happened to me during a 15year period, I added 8 qts. to get it to the full line and was good to go. To this day I have no clue on where two gallons of oil went.??? My truck does not burn oil of more than a qt. between oil changes. Some how...some where I 'lost' a lot of oil quickly. Any suggestions would be welcome.

hydro man 17 12-19-2017 06:35 PM

Seals in the turbo come to mind but I would think that there would be at least some smoke. The next thing wold be oil mixing with fuel through bad injector O-rings and returning to the tank.