Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 + Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum281/)
-   -   SWB or LWB (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495471-swb-or-lwb.html)

dlcorbett 06-18-2017 07:34 PM

SWB or LWB

After looking through the forum, (old posts) and trying to do the money math i think its also worthwhile to get owners thoughts. What are peoples experiences with the two different wheelbases? What are the pros and cons of the two? Is their anyone who would want to reverse their decision? Sorry if this post seems redundant.

glockholiday 06-20-2017 08:28 PM

I have the EL and think the short version would be unusable for me. Cant even fit a load of groceries behind the 3rd row. At least for my family of 5.

YoGeorge 06-22-2017 12:41 AM

If you often use the 3rd row for people, you should probably consider the EL. Even if you only use 2 rows, consider how much stuff you will usually carry while you have 4 people in the vehicle.

The EL can carry 4x8 sheets of stuff behind the front seat, which might be a consideration.

On the other hand, consider where you have to park the Expy; if you have an 18 foot deep garage spot, the EL ain't gonna fit...

George

NevadaGeo 06-22-2017 03:27 PM

I come to the Expedition from driving F-150s for years. I have the SWB and really enjoy the turning radius. I sometimes use my Expy for geologic field work off road, so it makes sense for me.

dlcorbett 06-22-2017 08:07 PM

Is the range btw the 2 that much greater? My nav now on thoughtful cruising(65ish) will do about 500 miles. I think the extra length kinda intimidates the wife.

hank_2010 06-23-2017 04:38 AM

I have a regular and I wish it was the EL. I find that I constantly need that extra bit of space when I load something into the back. Not to mention as stated above, with the 3rd row seats up there is basically no cargo space behind them. The next one I buy will be an EL for sure!

YoGeorge 06-23-2017 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dlcorbett (Post 17278846)
Is the range btw the 2 that much greater? My nav now on thoughtful cruising(65ish) will do about 500 miles. I think the extra length kinda intimidates the wife.

If your wife is gonna be driving it and parking it at the mall/grocery store, etc, the extra length will make it tougher. When we had one of our full size vans, my wife was "hit by a parked car" once...

On range I think the regular length holds 28 gallons and the EL 33ish. My bladder will give out long before I use up 28 gallons.

George

jh225 06-23-2017 09:06 PM

EL

People in the front seats.
People in the 2nd row seats
300lbs of dogs in the rear cargo area with cage panel between 2nd row and rear cargo

Try doing that in the standard model.

Slowpoke Slim 06-24-2017 07:28 AM

We've been looking at the EL's, and comparing them to the standard length. For us, I think we'll go EL. We have 4 labrador retrievers that take up a LOT of rear cargo space, and that's with the 3rd row seat folded down, lol.

I hear you on the bladder thing George, hahaha.

Randy_270 06-26-2017 06:34 PM

My wife and I will be trading our Explorer in for a 2018 Expedition Max. Our first kid will be here in December and we travel a lot with our two dogs. Just makes it easier to take lots of stuff and keep it all heated. I'd really suggest for those that only want/need a swb, and don't tow, an Explorer would be a better choice, but that's just my personal opinion.