Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Installing turbine inlet v clamp is a biyotch! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1489763-installing-turbine-inlet-v-clamp-is-a-biyotch.html)

kirkharrod 05-09-2017 09:20 PM

Installing turbine inlet v clamp is a biyotch!

Struggling to reinstall the turbine inlet v clamp behind the turbo. Does anyone have any tips? Had to walk away from it for today.

It all went very smoothly except removing and re-installing that dang v clamp!

Sous 05-09-2017 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by kirkharrod (Post 17179198)
Struggling to reinstall the turbine inlet v clamp behind the turbo. Does anyone have any tips? Had to walk away from it for today.

It all went very smoothly except removing and re-installing that dang v clamp!

I used bungee cords to keep the turbo and inlet together. In the end, I had some luck on my side to get the clamp on. Keep trying, you will get it.

Walleye Hunter 05-09-2017 09:42 PM

It bites. I used a piece of 2x3 or so and wedged it between the up pipe and the firewall. I was cussing and grunting up a storm and it finally dropped into place.

Edit: You do have the clamp in place, nut facing the right direction first, right?

carguy3j 05-09-2017 10:11 PM

If someone else is available to help, it may make things easier to have someone under the truck holding up/maneuvering the pipes/collector while you sit up top ready to tighten the clamp. Also, you made sure to leave the pipe to manifold connections very loose right? You'll need some "wiggle" room.

kirkharrod 05-09-2017 10:19 PM

Good tips all, thanks!

I do have the clamp oriented correctly. I will make sure that the pipe manifold connections are looser.

aawlberninf350 05-10-2017 06:26 AM

In addition to above, keep the turbo loose, bolts out. Your good karma will keep the o rings in place.

Tugly 05-10-2017 07:31 AM

Even with the bellowed ups, that alignment pin in the back can cause a degree of frustration. I have used a piece of wood as a wedge between the firewall and the collector to keep the alignment pin in place until I can get the clamp on - and my turbo base was loose.

z31freakify 05-10-2017 07:46 AM

Easy. Put the clamp over the collector (slide it back up on the collector), then alight the turbo with the collector slide the clamp over and tighten it enough where the turbo doesn't come off the collector, then install the turbo to pedestal bolts (you will still have enough movement from the clamp to align the turbo and install the bolts) ones you get the bolts threaded some now you can tight up the clamp then the bolts. I should make a how to video to better explain what I'm saying lol..

kirkharrod 05-10-2017 01:34 PM

got it, thanks!

Jesser02EX 05-10-2017 01:40 PM

That would be a great video!

Originally Posted by z31freakify (Post 17179868)
Easy. Put the clamp over the collector (slide it back up on the collector), then alight the turbo with the collector slide the clamp over and tighten it enough where the turbo doesn't come off the collector, then install the turbo to pedestal bolts (you will still have enough movement from the clamp to align the turbo and install the bolts) ones you get the bolts threaded some now you can tight up the clamp then the bolts. I should make a how to video to better explain what I'm saying lol..

andym 05-10-2017 01:44 PM

I hooked a ratchet strap behind the turbo collector and put it through the passenger front tow hook. This held the collector loosely in place with enough tension on it so I could wiggle it around while standing near the driver's side. I felt the pin drop into place after a couple wiggles. Then I tightened the ratchet strap up some more and felt around the V-clamp until I was sure it was seated correctly. Then tightened it up. My turbo was bolted down. I don't trust my karma. :-missingt

F250_ 05-10-2017 02:16 PM

My karma has proven itself to be quite good at kicking pedestal o-rings out of place, so I don't it either!!

retiredsparky 05-10-2017 02:29 PM

It doesn't hurt to put a little nickel based antisieze paste on the flanges and clamps before attempting to assemble-gives you a bit less friction when trying to move that heavy turbo around and into place. Just don't sniff the fumes after (of should I say if) the engine fires up. I usually put a small amount of that paste on the turbo mounting bolts too.

268Fords 05-11-2017 02:18 AM

Funny enough, I just installed bellowed up pipes on mine yesterday. I had to sit back and take four breaks from it. I ended up removing the bolts from the manifold side of each up pipe and hooking a bungee up to the engine removal ring on top of the block. Sweet talking her the whole time trying to get her to work for me. Finally after two hours or so, the baby's butt was lined up and was able to get the clamp on it. I think the anti seize around the clamp helped big time. Good luck, I know your frustration level right now.