Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   5er Brake failure seeking solution (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1467584-5er-brake-failure-seeking-solution.html)

StanleyZ 12-21-2016 05:32 PM

5er Brake failure seeking solution

I am chasing some sort of electrical failure of my brakes. I have a Ford factory controller.

I have battery voltage to the brakes when the controller switch is manually squeezed and the brakes activate.

I have battery voltage from the breakaway switch and the brakes lock when the stopper is removed.

I have checked the 30 amp under the hood and both 5 amp fuses in the cab. All three are fine.

Is the brake pedal to brake controller connection electrical or is there a manual switch under the dash somewhere.

Electrical is not my long suit and I am open for suggestions. Thanks

senix 12-21-2016 06:15 PM

I would be inclined to think it is the brake sensor at the master cylinder as being bad.

Take it apart and check for dirt/loose connections and see what you get.

StanleyZ 12-21-2016 07:40 PM

hi Senix, how you been. I've been out there chasing gremlins and found my MC batteries with the nice green peep hole now have a sort of orange peep hole. Both of them. I know from hanging here and on of my other trucks that these batteries can do some strange stuff when they are going bad. Do you suppose that could be the problem? I will of course check the brake sensor also. Thanks for the help.

senix 12-21-2016 07:44 PM

I don't think they are related, but it sounds like you may need some batteries.

RV_Tech 12-21-2016 07:48 PM

The initial post is not very clear. Is the problem your trailer brakes do not activate when you are stopping? And it has worked previously? And then it just stopped working? And you knew it was not working because? :)

Steve

StanleyZ 12-21-2016 07:54 PM

Hey thank y'all. I posted it over on the 6.7 forum and boy am I embarrassed. That brake controller does not activate below 12 MPH or so. I'm checking it parked so of course I get nothing or at least very little. Sorry to waste your time.

RV_Tech 12-21-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 16810350)
Hey thank y'all. I posted it over on the 6.7 forum and boy am I embarrassed. That brake controller does not activate below 12 MPH or so. I'm checking it parked so of course I get nothing or at least very little. Sorry to waste your time.

That's what I was going for with my question asking how you knew it was not working. No need to be embarrassed. That comes up all the time. If you don't ask you don't learn! :-jammin

Steve

senix 12-21-2016 08:00 PM

it reduces output below 11 mph, but should at least show the connection and if you step on the brake pedal you should see a bit of movment on the the TBC output.

RV_Tech 12-21-2016 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 16810350)

That's what I was going for with my question asking how you knew it was not working. No need to be embarrassed. That comes up all the time. If you don't ask you don't learn! :-jammin

Steve

StanleyZ 12-21-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by RV_Tech (Post 16810333)
The initial post is not very clear. Is the problem your trailer brakes do not activate when you are stopping? And it has worked previously? And then it just stopped working? And you knew it was not working because? :)

Steve

I suspected a trailer brake problem because my front brake pads wore out sooner than on any of my previous trucks. And I may or may not have one, I just can't prove it standing still because the Ford brake controller does not activate below 12 MPH. That's what I forgot. Just a brain cramp.:-hair:-hair

scraprat 12-21-2016 09:01 PM

When I hook and before raising the trailer legs all the way up I always apply the brake controller to be sure that the 5th wheel jaws are actually locked and the trailer brakes always lock up. But i did notice that when pulling away and trying the brake controller it barely locks them up. I guess I learned something new today about the truck braking system.

RV_Tech 12-21-2016 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by scraprat (Post 16810532)
When I hook and before raising the trailer legs all the way up I always apply the brake controller to be sure that the 5th wheel jaws are actually locked and the trailer brakes always lock up. But i did notice that when pulling away and trying the brake controller it barely locks them up. I guess I learned something new today about the truck braking system.

I also do the same and hope everyone does a brake check before hitting the road. :)

Steve

StanleyZ 12-21-2016 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by RV_Tech (Post 16810383)

Steve

Oh I'm never embarrassed because of something I don't know. I'm embarrassed about this because I've known this for some time and have even dealt with it once before. Just part of ageing. I'm pretty close to being able to hide my own Easter eggs, maybe next year.

senix 12-22-2016 05:04 AM

When I pull away I immediately pull the slider for the brakes as well.

I recheck everything before after I pull out the gate. Have to get out to lock it anyway.

T diesel 12-22-2016 08:46 AM

I just had my controller replaced under warrantee.
I'd have it looked at.