Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Trailer Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum289/)
-   -   Pulling someone out of snow question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1466065-pulling-someone-out-of-snow-question.html)

Bt-99 12-11-2016 07:05 AM

Pulling someone out of snow question

Is it ok to pull someone out of snow in 4wd high or do i have to be in 4wd low. How do you guys do it?

senix 12-11-2016 07:13 AM

4 hi is fine.

If really suck I would use 4 lo as you don't have to work the throttle as much.

These newer cars I would really be careful since they don't have too good of pulling points.

Desert Don 12-11-2016 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bt-99 (Post 16784300)
Is it ok to pull someone out of snow in 4wd high or do i have to be in 4wd low. How do you guys do it?

And pull using a FORWARD gear with your rig........the ring and pinion are much weaker in reverse that when in a forward gear! Also, when pulling someone, I would always make them hook to their own car/truck.

EDC8008 12-11-2016 04:58 PM

2nd gear is best.

351Cleveland C4 12-15-2016 11:29 AM

High is fine. Lowrange is for climbing and pulling hard. Just depends on how stuck they are and how much traction you have.

ExcursionPSD 12-15-2016 04:24 PM

When pulling a vehicle out of being stuck, why would you NOT want to use low range?

4L is easier on the torque converter and transmission, slow easy movement of the tow vehicle taking up slack, and if the tires spin, at least they will spin slowly.

I've pulled out skid steers, small dump trucks, 10 ton hayracks. Low range also gives you plenty of reserve power to keep up the momentum if you hit a softer spot on the way out.

EDC8008 12-16-2016 11:35 AM

Ok to keep it simple try it in High and if that doesn't work shift to low.

Only time I've ever needed low was in my old Bronco II down in the center median in Wyoming. Broke loose the tires when in High so down to low.

You can get as many opinions and ideas as there are people that read and answer. In the end do what makes works and makes you happy. That's what i do.

meborder 12-16-2016 05:50 PM

In a newer vehicle with electronic throttle control, they typically use a different throttle strategy which is much less sensitive.

This can be a real help on the slick stuff since it makes it harder to break the tires loose.

Martin Seebach 12-20-2016 02:44 AM

As with mud, sand, and other sticky places a lot depends on driver of stuck rig. If they can understand AND help with their throttle should be EZ. If they can't might be better to have pros do it. Worst on ranch, 5 4x4s 2 tow trucks strung out 1/2 mile. Finally cranked up old D6 working with tow rig leapfrogged em out. Personal best 3 4x4s, one 4x tractor and it don't count if no water on floor. Cows enjoyed watching and didn't mind hay spread around mud bog next to lake that rainy afternoon. Recently found RAM 4x4 in mud on other side of large creek and NO place to hook chain. WTHail is short version.