Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Headlight switch & pigtail connector... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1462604-headlight-switch-and-pigtail-connector.html)

460jared96 11-16-2016 06:20 PM

Headlight switch & pigtail connector...

Hey all, I'm going to replace my headlight switch as well as the wiring harness that connects to it on my 84 f150. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be a 7 prong connector right? I called Lordco and they told me they have the headlight switch part # s-453, which has (according to them) 8 prongs, and the wiring harness that they have only has 3 prongs? If someone could provide me with pictures and part numbers for these 2 parts that would be great.

thanks

Jared

FuzzFace2 11-16-2016 07:51 PM

Cant get out to the garage to check the switch and wiring but that 3 prong pig tail sounds like the pig tail for the head light as I know you can get them.
The head light switch plug is part of the main harness under the dash.
Dave ----

ArdWrknTrk 11-17-2016 03:47 AM

If its three pole they either have a "headlamp connector", attaches to the bulb (high, low and ground) or one that attaches to the floor mounted dimmer switch (power *from* the headlamp switch, high and low going out)

460jared96 11-18-2016 06:24 PM

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a crazy couple of days. Thanks for the replies, it's greatly appreciated and reassuring to hear a second opinion from you guys.

ArdWrknTrk 11-18-2016 06:44 PM

If you want to look at the oem connectors, there is a link in the stickies to the Motorcraft pigtail identification guide.
this shows all the oem harness wiring connectors grouped by how many contacts there are in the connector.

When you have the Ford part number *and the Motorcraft service part number* it is pretty easy to shop around for best pricing.

460jared96 11-18-2016 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 16731348)
If you want to look at the oem connectors, there is a link in the stickies to the Motorcraft pigtail identification guide.
this shows all the oem harness wiring connectors grouped by how many contacts there are in the connector.

When you have the Ford part number *and the Motorcraft service part number* it is pretty easy to shop around for best pricing.

Sorry where exactly is this link? I'm not sure what you mean by stickies.

ArdWrknTrk 11-18-2016 09:26 PM

The grayed out threads 'stuck' to the top of this subforum. ... "Read this first" "the 80-86 stickie - tech tips and tricks"

actually, just Google "2016 Motorcraft connector catalog" and it will take you right there.

4GOTNF250 11-20-2016 12:09 AM

Question, are you swapping the switch and harness because of previous heat issues that warped or damaged it?
If so my biggest suggestion after replacing those is doing headlight relays (if you havent planned that already)

What a huge difference it makes, did it on a few fords, it helps remove all the heavy current draw thru the switch, and IMO helps with light output.