Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Up and Running, sort of... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1452930-up-and-running-sort-of.html)

jvmcc 09-12-2016 04:41 PM

Up and Running, sort of...

I've taken my '53 F100 out a couple of times now. Just up and down the road, to shake some of the bugs out. It's been over twenty years since I've driven it. It's not as I remember it. The most noticeable thing about it is that it is all tightened up. It used to be that half the bolts were loose and it sounded like one big tambourine everytime I hit a bump. Now it's pretty quiet. A couple of things I noticed:
First, the ammeter needle swings all the way over to the charge side when the engine's running. It moves a bit back when I turn on the headlights. But, I do not recall that it ever read so high on the charge side before. Does it sound like I might have a bad regulator? Second, when I pop the hood after the engine has warmed up after a drive, thin wisps of smoke emerge from the filler/breather cap. I don't recall this condition ever existing before. Could this be leaky/loose valve guides? The "smoke" doesn't smell like coolant, so I don't think it's a head gasket leak. Any ideas? Anyway, here's a picture of how it is as on Sept 12 at 5:30 pm... Still have a few odds and ends to deal with before I go for a state vehicle inspection.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...9db40514b2.jpg

schoo 09-12-2016 04:47 PM

looks very nice to me

raytasch 09-12-2016 05:09 PM

Great looking truck.
If the battery starts boiling, after a half hour hard run, you have a problem. What is your battery voltage, both static and with the engine at quarter throttle?
A wisp of smoke out the breather is not unusual for an old engine, especially one that has not been worked hard recently. If it emits heavy smoke from the road draft tube when in a hard climb, you should be at least slightly concern. Get it inspected and drive it.
Edit: Most likely not valves on a flathead.

toby tough 09-12-2016 08:28 PM

I'm with Ray. Could be once you get some more miles on it things will clear up.

38 coupe 09-12-2016 08:37 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about the oil mist coming out the breather. I would be concerned about the charging system. Even with a dead battery you shouldn't peg the ammeter. If you are careful you can adjust the output current and voltage of a regulator. Most new regulators I have dealt with are way out of adjustment when purchased.

edit: Nice looking truck! Thanks for the picture.

abe 09-12-2016 09:02 PM

Your truck looks great, John! Now I want to see more pics of your stock truck.

Ray, I think he has a 6 cylinder.

Kurt G. 09-12-2016 10:01 PM

John how did you do the amp meter, mine is after market and is similar to your description of operation.

mike.rogers 09-13-2016 06:39 AM

great looking truck. Great color too. Hope you get the bugs worked out and back on the road.

mike

rdemilt 09-13-2016 06:40 AM

Wow - thats a beauty. Im sure you'll easily resolve the issue with the charging system. I wouldn't have too much concern with the smoke from the breather.
How about a few shots of the interior and the motor.

jvmcc 09-13-2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kurt G. (Post 16569815)
John how did you do the amp meter, mine is after market and is similar to your description of operation.

My is stock and, as far as I know, the gauge is original to the truck. So, I guess another possible diagnosis for the problem is that the gauge is out of whack. It's wired stock such that the main 10 ga.wire carrying all current comes right from the negative post of the battery (it's a six-volt positive ground system) via a terminal connection at the negative battery post on the solenoid, through the metal loop behind the "charging indicator" (the shop manual's name for the dash gauge), and then to the "B" terminal on the voltage regulator via a terminal connection at the the circuit breaker. I'm pretty sure that I got this right. Otherwise, I think, the needle would be pointing the other way. Like so many parts on this truck, the voltage regulator is old. I put it in new, but that was probably 30 years ago.....

jvmcc 09-13-2016 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 16569597)
Your truck looks great, John! Now I want to see more pics of your stock truck.

Ray, I think he has a 6 cylinder.

Thanks for the kind words, Abe. My wife has taken several cell-phone movie clips of the engine starting for the first time and the truck's actual first voyage under its own power. But, she's got an Iphone and I have not figured out how to actually get those video files into my own own computer for editing. I suspect that the clips are in some sort of Apple proprietary format that I don't know how to modify. Anyway, I still have a few more days of going over it before I call it done. And even then, there is still work to do. I have to get the exhaust piping redone so I can hang a spare tire from the under chassis carrier. And, there is still orange peel and overspray to polish out on my paint job and touch up where I put the paint on too thin. When I do post more photos you will see that, while it pretty much uses components that would have been available in 1953, it's a mix of "Custom Cab" and standard. I installed the rear interior panels in behind the seat, interior door panels, turn signals, locking glove box, etc. But I don't have the teeth at the grille or the boomerang on the side of the hood. And I have seat belts, now.

Kurt G. 09-14-2016 09:38 AM

I am remiss, first I love your truck! I truly hope someday mine will be half as nice as that but that is wishfull thinking. I know it takes my battery a good 5 minutes for the gage to drop down to barely showing a charge, please more pictures you guys inspire me.

petemcl 09-16-2016 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jvmcc (Post 16570317)
Thanks for the kind words, Abe. My wife has taken several cell-phone movie clips of the engine starting for the first time and the truck's actual first voyage under its own power. But, she's got an Iphone and I have not figured out how to actually get those video files into my own own computer for editing. I suspect that the clips are in some sort of Apple proprietary format that I don't know how to modify.

The breather cap smoke sounds normal.

As for importing from your wife's iPhone . . . She should have a little charging cube and if you unplug the cord from the cube there is a USB plug on the end of the cord. Just plug it in using the charging cord to the USB port on your computer. After a few seconds the iPhone should appear as a choice in Windows Explorer. Just move the files over to someplace you can find them on your computer. Easy as that.

jvmcc 09-16-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by petemcl (Post 16579574)
The breather cap smoke sounds normal.

As for importing from your wife's iPhone . . . She should have a little charging cube and if you unplug the cord from the cube there is a USB plug on the end of the cord. Just plug it in using the charging cord to the USB port on your computer. After a few seconds the iPhone should appear as a choice in Windows Explorer. Just move the files over to someplace you can find them on your computer. Easy as that.

I'll give it a shot.

ghart 09-16-2016 04:15 PM

Great looking truck, love it!

iPhones typically use the MOV format which is pretty specific to Apple devices. Not sure things are still the same, but you used to have to install QuickTime to be able to play MOV videos on a Windows machine. An easy option would be to just have her upload them to YouTube - it provides some basic editing options like trimming, if needed.