Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Fuel Additive Test Using the OBS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1450895-fuel-additive-test-using-the-obs.html)

BBslider001 08-30-2016 09:11 AM

Fuel Additive Test Using the OBS

Truck Trend did a comprehensive fuel additive test for diesel. The cool thing is, they used an OBS with mods that most of us use here. Just thought I would share. It's a real world test using 2-Stroke oil, Opti-Libe XPD, and FPPF +8.

Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

:oval:oval:oval

knottyrope 08-30-2016 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 16535796)
Truck Trend did a comprehensive fuel additive test for diesel. The cool thing is, they used an OBS with mods that most of us use here. Just thought I would share. It's a real world test using 2-Stroke oil, Opti-Libe XPD, and FPPF +8.

Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

:oval:oval:oval

That's nice to know. thanks.

Ill stick with 2 stroke oil, much cheaper and I don't plan to use my F350 in winter

Bob_T 08-30-2016 11:35 AM

Very interesting and thanks for posting the link. I always suspect magazine tests since they might not want to offend potential advertisers. However... they included a no-name 2 stroke oil and rated it right up there with the best additives. I think I'll be switching to 2 stroke oil.

Also interesting that the oil company claim that they add enough additive at the refinery seems to be BS.

Jarrett Campbell 08-30-2016 12:40 PM

I worked at a fuel transportation company in college. All the additives for branded fuel (eg exxon, texaco, BP, etc) were mixed with the fuels while they were being added to the truck, so that at least is accurate. It's kind of interesting how the pipelines are shared between oil and trucking companies.

powrstrkr 08-30-2016 01:04 PM

I've been using ST 2cy oil for years at 1oz:gal. Looks like I can drop the amount I add to 200:1 and still be effective. I've never tried the other 2 additives. Knock on wood, I've got 118K with original fuel system parts and never had a fuel leak anywhere.

lee00 08-30-2016 01:14 PM

While I think that study has some merit and is a good baseline to start, but I have some issues with it:

They don't divulge the same data for each set that they illustrate in the article:
ex #1 - no additive is missing the best highway and best city mpg totals
Ex #2 - the three additive don't have an overall mpg total.

there is data and information missing needed to draw conclusions:
ex #1. - They said the testing period was 11,000 miles (doubtful it was an even
number) but how many miles on each additive?
Ex# 2 - three stations were used - were there equal fill up from each of the three stations and Were tests run on the base fuel before the additives were mixed to determine a baseline fuel standard?
ex #3 - How did they eliminate cross contamination between additives? Maybe a mixture of 2 stroke and opti lube gave you that 17.4 mpg?

Where are routes they took, weather conditions (ie wind direction and speed).

Lets not forget to mention it was written in November of 2009.

jacob_powerhouse 08-30-2016 02:21 PM

I appreciate the information for what it is.

BBslider001 08-30-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by lee00
While I think that study has some merit and is a good baseline to start I have some issues with it:

They don't divulge the same data for each set that they illustrate in the article:
ex #1 - no additive is missing the best highway and best city mpg totals
Ex #2 - the three additive don't have an overall mpg total.

there is data and information missing needed to draw conclusions:
ex #1. - They said the testing period was 11,000 miles (doubtful it was an even
number) but how many miles on each additive?
Ex# 2 - three stations were used - were there equal fill up from each of the three stations and Were tests run on the base fuel before the additives were mixed to determine a baseline fuel standard?
ex #3 - How did they eliminate cross contamination between additives? Maybe a mixture of 2 stroke and opti lube gave you that 17.4 mpg?

Where are routes they took, weather conditions (ie wind direction and speed).

Lets not forget to mention it was written in November of 2009.

I dunno Lee. I think you might be reading too much into it. It provides good base information. I don't think it's the end-all-be-all for fuel additives, but rather gives a decent idea of what to expect when using.

lee00 08-30-2016 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 16536759)
I dunno Lee. I think you might be reading too much into it. It provides good base information. I don't think it's the end-all-be-all for fuel additives, but rather gives a decent idea of what to expect when using.

I agree its a start, all I was trying to say is it need to be more consistent and complete with the data they provide.