Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Timing adjustment step-by-step (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441192-timing-adjustment-step-by-step.html)

Frmnsal 06-22-2016 09:12 PM

Timing adjustment step-by-step

Hi I have an 84 f150 I6 300. Someone told me to adjust the timing because it idles a little shaky. I'm hoping somone can show me pics step by step. I'm having trouble finding specifics and I've read a few threads where the timing marks are on the wrong spot. I've never timed anything so its all new to me. Tomorrow I'll be picking up a light at harbor freight. Thank you

ctubutis 06-22-2016 09:42 PM

Hmmm, 1984.... that year may have a computer-controlled timing advance, in which case it's not really adjustable. Can you post some close-up pictures of your distributor for us?

Frmnsal 06-22-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 16376302)
Hmmm, 1984.... that year may have a computer-controlled timing advance, in which case it's not really adjustable. Can you post some close-up pictures of your distributor for us?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6d9fd70d07.jpg

New spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor

ctubutis 06-22-2016 10:11 PM

Yeah, that has a TFI module on it, and the single yellow wire with the inline connector (depicted just below the oil dipstick) would be the SPOUT connector.

IOW that's computer-controlled and you can't adjust the timing, so more investigation on your part is needed... you can pull the computer codes to see what the computer thinks is happening, you can investigate fuel delivery, spark, etc. etc. etc.

Festus Hagen 06-22-2016 10:18 PM

Oh no, It's not all oily and grimy ... It's ruined!

Just kidding, nice cleaning job ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Frmnsal 06-22-2016 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 16376385)
Yeah, that has a TFI module on it, and the single yellow wire with the inline connector (depicted just below the oil dipstick) would be the SPOUT connector.

IOW that's computer-controlled and you can't adjust the timing, so more investigation on your part is needed... you can pull the computer codes to see what the computer thinks is happening, you can investigate fuel delivery, spark, etc. etc. etc.

That's actually music to my ears. I won't have to run out and get a timing light now! However, I'm confused because under the hood is the sticker that says "adjusting timing" and I see marks of where people often confuse the timing.....? Also I don't know what IOW and SPOUT stands for??

Festus Hagen 06-22-2016 10:55 PM

SPOUT = SparkOut

Not sure on the IOW ...

-Enjoy

twigsV10 06-22-2016 11:06 PM

The spout connector if unplugged eliminates any computer controlled advance of the ignition so the base timing can be set. For example my 94 351 recommended 10° advance with the spout connector disconnected. After the base timing has been set the spout connector is reconnected the computer does everything.

Edit, if it was my truck I would spend the time to unplug the sprout connector and check the base timing.
I don't have a lot of experience with the 300 I6, but all of the older V8s and V6s I've worked on have been down in the 4-6° range, 10° is generally where they are supposed to be. Adjusting it back to stock or if you're looking for more power bumping it up A couple of extra degrees if you know what you are doing can help bring back the original power and even slightly improve it with a small timing advance.

Festus Hagen 06-22-2016 11:11 PM

I'm slow tonight ... IOW just hit me, Geez!

IOW = In Other Words!

-Enjoy

Frmnsal 06-22-2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Festus Hagen (Post 16376495)
I'm slow tonight ... IOW just hit me, Geez!

IOW = In Other Words!

-Enjoy

I was just gonna google it ! That makes two of us. :-X24

Frmnsal 06-22-2016 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by twigsV10 (Post 16376485)
The spout connector if unplugged eliminates any computer controlled advance of the ignition so the base timing can be set. For example my 94 351 recommended 10° advance with the spout connector disconnected. After the base timing has been set the spout connector is reconnected the computer does everything.

That's exactly what my sticker says under the hood, too. Except it says it should be a BLACK wire. Anyway, I'm thinking of unplugging it (the SPOUT), loosening the distributor, and slowly turning the distributor to see if it solves the rough idle. Is this correct? Have you done this?

twigsV10 06-22-2016 11:39 PM

I'm a slow writer and added to my previous post. Use a timing light if you're going to mess with the timing!!!!!

And (I think anyways?) it's always been an black wire to the spout connector in my experience as well.

1986F150six 06-23-2016 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Frmnsal (Post 16376516)
That's exactly what my sticker says under the hood, too. Except it says it should be a BLACK wire. Anyway, I'm thinking of unplugging it (the SPOUT), loosening the distributor, and slowly turning the distributor to see if it solves the rough idle. Is this correct? Have you done this?

For the 6 cylinder engine, rotate the distributor CCW to advance the timing. Once the timing is adjusted, tighten the hold-down bolt for the distributor and reconnect the spout. :)