Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Project "pass it on" build thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1420435-project-pass-it-on-build-thread.html)

Ron94150 02-20-2016 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by frakchered
First off SUBSCRIBED! Please post lots of pics of your straight axle job PLZ!

First question, that '79 frame, is the track bar attached to the lower part of the driver's side shock mount? Can you please snap a closer pic of that and post? I got the front sub section of a '78 bronco and it looks like they had a James Duff after market type track bar mount.

Second question, how was the camper towing with your 4.9 and the 3.73 gears? I am looking at doing my rear in the smae and I have a 6450lb camper i will be towing. I also have a manual versus your auto trans.

Thanks!

Looking forward to see how this rig turns out.

Yes, the trac bar mounts to the bottom of shock mount. I will try to remember to take some pics tomorrow.

It towed the camper pretty well at @55mph. No way I would try it down the interstate. My campgrounds are all within 15-30 miles(and lots of them). The straight shift is a huge handy cap for you. The m5od has a very high first gear and reverse ratio. If your truck is 4wd, you could use low range to maneuver the camper around. If it's 2wd, I would not even think about it, especially with any grade. I've smoked a clutch on an 06(same tranny) with 3:55 gears with a much smaller camper. I was trying to back it in to a spot that was at the top of a steep grade. That same truck also slipped the clutch pulling out from a red light with small grade with a 7k pound load of scrap metal(scrap and trailer). With that said, I pulled a 3500lbs boat a lot with it and never had an issue. I've had several m5od's and they have all been good to me, even though I wasn't good to them. The m5od's overdrive isn't as high as the e4od either, and I'm turning @ 2100 at 70, so if you do any interstate driving, you will not like the 3:73 gear. You can watch the gas gauge move. Around town at 60 and under, you will love it, and gas mileage will actually be better.

Ron94150 02-20-2016 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruners4
This is my favorite gear ratio calculator.
Gear Ratio Calculator
I use this a lot as it has the transmission and transfercase ratios built in.

That link didn't work for me, but Randy's ring and pinion has the best calculators I've found. Several different types and easy to use.

Mudsport96 02-20-2016 10:25 PM

Also I've noticed on several 300 trucks, when low range is used frequently, the drivers side engine mount tears apart often. So you may want to look into a travel limiting strap or chain.

Ron94150 02-21-2016 08:28 AM

Thanks mudsport, but I doubt this truck will see low range very often. A lot more pavement than dirt.

frakchered 02-21-2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ron94150 (Post 16061879)
Yes, the trac bar mounts to the bottom of shock mount. I will try to remember to take some pics tomorrow.

It towed the camper pretty well at @55mph. No way I would try it down the interstate. My campgrounds are all within 15-30 miles(and lots of them). The straight shift is a huge handy cap for you. The m5od has a very high first gear and reverse ratio. If your truck is 4wd, you could use low range to maneuver the camper around. If it's 2wd, I would not even think about it, especially with any grade. I've smoked a clutch on an 06(same tranny) with 3:55 gears with a much smaller camper. I was trying to back it in to a spot that was at the top of a steep grade. That same truck also slipped the clutch pulling out from a red light with small grade with a 7k pound load of scrap metal(scrap and trailer). With that said, I pulled a 3500lbs boat a lot with it and never had an issue. I've had several m5od's and they have all been good to me, even though I wasn't good to them. The m5od's overdrive isn't as high as the e4od either, and I'm turning @ 2100 at 70, so if you do any interstate driving, you will not like the 3:73 gear. You can watch the gas gauge move. Around town at 60 and under, you will love it, and gas mileage will actually be better.

Thanks for the info. I did forget to mention I am currently running 32" All Terrains so the interstate won't be to bad as it would be on stock tires. Luckily this is not my daily driver, and I will be towing my camper to a campground where it will be sitting for a few years and I intend to get a proper tow vehicle for it before I move it back home to Ohio. Is the ZF transmission any better for towing other than the clutch slipping? Is there a company out there that make a good clutch for towing with these trans? I mean the diesels have manuals and I know they have a heavier duty clutch. I would really like to switch to a ZF to get rid of the Mazda trans as I plan a Cummins 4BT swap in the future as well as a NP205 transfer swap.

Bruners4 02-21-2016 11:25 AM

Gear Ratio Calculator
Maybe this one will work? If not the site is grimmjeeper.com/gears.

Ron94150 02-21-2016 02:27 PM

Yes the zf5 is a far better towing transmission. It's made for heavy duty applications and has a granny first gear. Will not be as fun to drive daily as an m5od, but a much "tougher" transmission. I put that in parentheses because I've seen a lot more grinding and wornout zf's than m5od's. The m5od's problem usually comes from leaking plugs and running them dry or worn out shifting forks, which are a relatively easy fix. But without a doubt the zf5 can handle a lot more. You can put the 11" clutch in the m5od. Doesn't fix the sky high gearing though. I think the zf5 would be a good Combo behind a 4.9 because you could run a taller rear end, keeping the rpms where the 300 likes it, down low. Around here, the small block zf5 is getting hard to find, and they are very proud of them. That's why I ended up keeping the e4od, to much work converting to a manual to only put a m5od in.

Now, let me go get those pics for you.

frakchered 02-21-2016 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ron94150 (Post 16063459)
Yes the zf5 is a far better towing transmission. It's made for heavy duty applications and has a granny first gear. Will not be as fun to drive daily as an m5od, but a much "tougher" transmission. I put that in parentheses because I've seen a lot more grinding and wornout zf's than m5od's. The m5od's problem usually comes from leaking plugs and running them dry or worn out shifting forks, which are a relatively easy fix. But without a doubt the zf5 can handle a lot more. You can put the 11" clutch in the m5od. Doesn't fix the sky high gearing though. I think the zf5 would be a good Combo behind a 4.9 because you could run a taller rear end, keeping the rpms where the 300 likes it, down low. Around here, the small block zf5 is getting hard to find, and they are very proud of them. That's why I ended up keeping the e4od, to much work converting to a manual to only put a m5od in.

Now, let me go get those pics for you.

Awesome Ron. Thanks for the info on the ZF5. I have waited to long on a few here around me. I do have a few 2wd versions but I will be needing the 4wd. I really wanted to keep the 5speed so I will definantely be looking for a zf5 now. I will also keep my 3.55 gear set incase I need to switch once I get my zf5. Again thanks fo rthe info.

I got to looking at your pic on the '79 frame. Your shocks are infront of the axle where as the clip I bought had them mopunted on the rear. I would be interested to see your shock mounts as well. It would be odd to do but with a set of your shock mounts and my factory '78 mounts you could run double shocks. Wouldn't be a typical set up but doable.

Ron94150 02-21-2016 02:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
My set up has dual shocks. If you had a 2wd zf5, you have the option of a divorced np205.Attachment 137976Attachment 137974Attachment 137973Attachment 137977Attachment 137972Attachment 137975

frakchered 02-22-2016 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ron94150 (Post 16063486)
My set up has dual shocks. If you had a 2wd zf5, you have the option of a divorced np205.Attachment 137976Attachment 137974Attachment 137973Attachment 137977Attachment 137972Attachment 137975

Ron, thanks for the pics. Would be nice to find a set of those radius arm caps to put a set of dual shocks on my rig.

As for the divorced np205 I would think it is a lot more work. This truck is currently not a daily driver and I use it mainly for winter months driving between Va and Oh. My Daily is a VW TDI. I will look into the divorced NP205 although I like the plug and play option of the ZF and NP205.

Ron94150 02-22-2016 08:51 AM

Btw, you don't want to run your trac bar to the outside of the frame like these trucks. Our gear box is mounted inside the frame, and your track bar will be a lot longer than your drag link.

frakchered 02-22-2016 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ron94150 (Post 16065738)
Btw, you don't want to run your trac bar to the outside of the frame like these trucks. Our gear box is mounted inside the frame, and your track bar will be a lot longer than your drag link.

Not exactly sure what your saying? I bought an adjustable on from James Duff. I figured I would use the bracket I got and adapt it like what most others have done which if I remember right would go below the frame and have extra bracing.

Ron94150 02-22-2016 09:56 AM

Your good to go then. Just don't want to use the shock tower as the trac bar mount like this factory set up. You see can see what I'm talking about in the pictures where I'm pointing.

Ron94150 02-27-2016 11:23 AM

Well, sorry to anyone I may disappoint that was going to follow. I bought a 2016 f250 crew cab 4x4 last night. So I'm going to sell the 94 f150. I'm also going to sell the 4x4 e4od, so if anyone in the area has any interest let me know.(east Tennessee). I'm going to keep the 79 rolling chassis. I've got a strictly offroad bronco build in mind after the new wears off the f250. I hate to sell the 94, but I have 5 payments left on our camper, so I can pay it off and buy a couple accessories for the new truck!

Mudsport96 02-27-2016 09:13 PM

Hey sometimes plans change, good luck with future projects.