Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Sand blaster attachment for pressure washer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1405762-sand-blaster-attachment-for-pressure-washer.html)

BKSMN 11-08-2015 09:21 PM

Sand blaster attachment for pressure washer

I got an attachment for my pressure washer that makes it into a sand blaster. My plan is to use this to remove the paint/surface rust for paint and body work prep on my entire truck. I figure this will save me hours of sanding.
Has anyone ever used this method before?
It shouldn't warp the metal at all because the water will keep it cool but what would I need to do to keep it from rusting after?
What media works best?

All advise is appreciated :)

HIO Silver 11-08-2015 09:29 PM

Apply Sharkhide metal protectant:

78 PEB 11-08-2015 09:35 PM

I didn't know they made such a critter........

BKSMN 11-08-2015 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 78 PEB (Post 15776353)
I didn't know they made such a critter........

Here's what it looks like. It was $65 at Northern Tool + Equipment
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c134b3f283.jpg

BKSMN 11-08-2015 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by HIO Silver (Post 15776340)
Apply Sharkhide metal protectant:

Can I paint over that?

beartracks 11-09-2015 11:36 AM

I think that would be used typically with soda.

twofifty 11-09-2015 01:07 PM

Are you going to test it on a hidden area first before you use it?

If you need, I have a frame sitting at my place that could be used as a guinea pig.

BKSMN 11-09-2015 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by twofifty (Post 15777881)
Are you going to test it on a hidden area first before you use it?

If you need, I have a frame sitting at my place that could be used as a guinea pig.

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I have something that will work as a guinea pig. But yes, I'll test it on something I have sitting around first so I don't end up screwing up my body panels. That way I can see how well it works, if/how fast rust will start and what works best to prevent it etc.

POPAJON 11-09-2015 02:26 PM

Karcher pressure washers also have one. I am going to order one through my place of employment. Worth the $ even if it only does small stuff. This one says to use a fine grit abrasive. I am thinking crushed glass maybe. Pops

HoustonDave 11-09-2015 03:17 PM

There are commercial services that advertise these - they say the water cools the panels, preventing warping, and keeps the dust down since the dust and abrasive are trapped in the water. Costs about $6000 to buy the commercial system and when I called one of the folks they referred, he quoted me $1200 to strip the paint off my truck. Their videos are impressive, but it doesn't seem like they are taking the market by storm.

twofifty 11-09-2015 03:32 PM

No problem,
I'll be watching to see how this works for you. Do you already have a power washer or will you be renting a commercial pressure washer just for this job?

scottscott 11-09-2015 04:15 PM

I wouldn't use that on any body panel I care about. With air & sandblasting, you are using maybe 150 PSI. With a pressure washer & the attachment, you'll need 2000 to 3500 PSI of water pressure. That is enough pressure to put furrows right in the metal when sand is added. On a frame, you'll be fine. On body panels, I see ruined parts.

I work for an equipment rental company, we carry about 25 pressure washers for rent. We have tried a few different brands of the sand injector, all are very troublesome, hard to get working & keep working. Maybe you'll get lucky & have one that works, but it is not the sort of thing you can rent to most people. In fact we stopped carrying them as it wasn't worth the hassle.

Someone mentioned using soda as the medium in this attachment. You can't do that, the soda dissolves in water.

BKSMN 11-09-2015 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by twofifty (Post 15778173)
No problem,
I'll be watching to see how this works for you. Do you already have a power washer or will you be renting a commercial pressure washer just for this job?

I already have one, but it's a little bit under the GPM (gallons per minute) rating for the blasting attachment. I'm going to try my pressure washer and see how it works. If I need more GPM I'll rent one or borrow one from my uncle. Not sure when I'll have time to do this since I'm at college right now but I'll post my results when I do.

BKSMN 11-09-2015 04:45 PM

I found a product made by Eastbay called "after blast" which will prevent the flash rusting so I plan to apply that after I do any blasting.

Scottscott, I appreciate your input. I already have the attachment so I figure I'll try it anyway and see if it's worth using. Like I said earlier, I'll test it on something else before I use it on any of my body panels

TeachNlive4ever 11-09-2015 04:46 PM

HIO said it best once, maybe more than that, but I remember this one time in band camp...
He called it "flash rust". any bare metal left the elements will get a film of rust over it very quickly and just because you can't SEE it, hit it with a fine grit piece of sand paper the next morning. Blow dry (compressed air) and bring er inside.