Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   1995 ford powerstroke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1381515-1995-ford-powerstroke.html)

Robert Dingess 05-31-2015 02:09 PM

1995 ford powerstroke

have a 95 ford 7.3 powerstroke thatwas running great. then started shutting down. I know 7.3 gets low on oil they shut down. checked oil none on the dipstick. put oil in it and it ran fine for 10 miles than started shutting down, had truck towed home. checked oil it was dry. there are no leaks and no smoke air filter and radiator is clean where is my oil going. would the turbo hold that much oil without seeing it. I need help please

fordpride 05-31-2015 03:01 PM

It's going out the tailpipe or in the fuel tank

farmert 05-31-2015 04:33 PM

Remove the fuel filter to see if it is black and slimy. If it is the injector o rings need replacing. If one lets go it will pump the oil into the fuel, and mix it in the tank.

Robert Dingess 05-31-2015 06:09 PM

what causes it to do that, it does not smoke

lindstromjd 05-31-2015 06:18 PM

Engine is drinking the oil through your injector o-rings. Replace them.

Robert Dingess 05-31-2015 06:50 PM

how come the truck don't smoke and where is oil going to. I am talking about 2 gallon in 10 miles thanks

lindstromjd 05-31-2015 07:30 PM

Oooooookay.... here we go:

The 7.3 is not your typical run-of-the-mill engine. It combines electronics, high pressure oil, and high pressure fuel to run. The injector has 2 "ports" that are separated by o-rings... one for the high pressure oil, and one for the high pressure fuel. If one of those o-rings gets old and ruptures (which they are quite notorious for doing) then you are allowing high pressure oil to mix with the fuel. The oil coming in is MUCH higher pressure than the fuel, so you will be forcing oil into the fuel mixture that goes into the cylinder. The HPOP, or high pressure oil pump, supplies the high pressure oil that the injectors use to open and close. This high pressure oil is running around 1500-3000psi depending on your operating RPM's. The high pressure fuel is around 50-60psi.

So... do we understand now? One or more of the o-rings on your injectors is bad and allowing oil to mix into the fuel being injected into a cylinder. Your engine is LITERALLY drinking oil and burning it as fuel. That's where your oil is going. And no, it won't blow smoke by burning the oil because it's being burned as fuel, and diesel fuel is pretty much glorified oil.

Robert Dingess 06-01-2015 07:54 AM

now I understand. I just thought if it was burning oil it would smoke but I see the point. now. thanks a lot

Robert Dingess 06-02-2015 10:18 AM

do you know any thing about a 7 spd spicer transmission that is in a f800 ford with 5.9 cummings, transmission wont go in 7th gear. it feels like it is hitting something before it goes far enough back, no noise or nothing