Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   2013 v10 slight tick to complete failure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1343941-2013-v10-slight-tick-to-complete-failure.html)

Sdivito 11-01-2014 02:20 AM

2013 v10 slight tick to complete failure

F550 v10 with a nearly undetectable tick to the average listener. Truck was running fine with no loss of performance. Brought to service dept at local dealer to have a tech confirm what it was and whether it should be addressed. Tech revved truck pretty hard, suggested at some point make an appointment but could continue driving. Got 2 blocks from dealer and my V10 sounded like a Mac Truck with bad injectors. Immediately brought back to dealer. They now claim I need a new motor. Spring was entirely in tact. Truck has 75k miles

Could over-revving by technician have caused the retainer to dislodge and valve to drop? dealer denies possibility due to rev-limiter. Again, spring perfectly in tact.

Truck ran fine when brought in less the small tick/lifter noise.

Help......repair costs pushing $10k

MDSuperDuty 11-01-2014 06:02 PM

Another member had that happen to his 08 V10 truck (cannot remember his name) although not at a dealer. As in the valve broke loose and destroyed the motor. He paid that $10k bill unfortunately. Hard to say what to do or what could have caused the failure. And unless you have documented evidence of how high the rpms were rev'd you probably don't have a leg to stand on with that one. Plus the motor is out of warranty correct? I'm not trying to be a jerk just saying it'll be an uphill battle and that's unfortunate. Good luck and hopefully you can get something completed.

Sherry Di VIto 11-01-2014 09:19 PM

Yes. Blessed with an out of warrantee blown motor. Can a scan on the motor detect the rpm level and at what point in time? I do have gps on all of my trucks which could prove location at time of dislodge if a scan would show that.

Wolfboro 11-02-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
Another member had that happen to his 08 V10 truck (cannot remember his name) .

It was Pappy19's 2008 V-10 . Here is the link;

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-clatter.html

Dusty dawge 11-02-2014 09:40 AM

Also, scraprat

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-flatbed.html

dkf 11-02-2014 12:40 PM

The rev limiter in neutral is quite a bit lower than in drive. If you usually keep the rpm fairly low while you drive the tech revving it could have made the part fail.

Ford have the worst warranty in the market right now. They need to step into the 21st century have have a 5/100,000 powertrain warraty. A 2013 truck with a blown engine is unacceptable if it was maintained properly.(even with 75k miles on it)

MDSuperDuty 11-02-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty dawge (Post 14788075)

That's who I was thinking of.

MDSuperDuty 11-02-2014 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 14788440)
Ford have the worst warranty in the market right now. They need to step into the 21st century have have a 5/100,000 powertrain warraty. A 2013 truck with a blown engine is unacceptable if it was maintained properly.(even with 75k miles on it)

I agree but the problem is people still buy the "#1" selling pickup with the lesser warranty. All the other manufacturers boast those warranties on their advertising but Ford still sells large numbers ofF-Series trucks. Go figure.

krewat 11-03-2014 12:19 PM

With the stock tune, the engine should never drop a valve because of revving it.

The tech did nothing wrong. The engine was gonna blow no matter what, eventually, and you would have to pay for a new engine. It just happened NOW instead of later on.

Sorry to say it, but "stuff happens". If you are a business and didn't take the extended warranty, you took the risk.

No scan will show when the engine took a crap - it probably threw a code when the misfires in that cylinder started, and the computer might have taken a freeze-frame of the event, but I'm not sure the time would be recorded in such a way that it can be used to compute the actual clock time and calendar date of the event. Worse, it happened when you were driving it, so even if it was possible to pinpoint the exact time, it wouldn't show the tech being the cause.

This thread should have a huge "shrug" emoticon on it ... you're way over the warranty if it's 75K miles, and again, if you're in business and didn't extend the warranty, or can't handle a $10K repair, I don't know what you're asking of us.

MDSuperDuty 11-03-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Krewat (Post 14790988)
With the stock tune, the engine should never drop a valve because of revving it.

The tech did nothing wrong. The engine was gonna blow no matter what, eventually, and you would have to pay for a new engine. It just happened NOW instead of later on.

Sorry to say it, but "stuff happens". If you are a business and didn't take the extended warranty, you took the risk.

No scan will show when the engine took a crap - it probably threw a code when the misfires in that cylinder started, and the computer might have taken a freeze-frame of the event, but I'm not sure the time would be recorded in such a way that it can be used to compute the actual clock time and calendar date of the event. Worse, it happened when you were driving it, so even if it was possible to pinpoint the exact time, it wouldn't show the tech being the cause.

This thread should have a huge "shrug" emoticon on it ... you're way over the warranty if it's 75K miles, and again, if you're in business and didn't extend the warranty, or can't handle a $10K repair, I don't know what you're asking of us.

Unfortunately Krewat is right.......

Wolfboro 11-03-2014 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=MDSuperDuty;14791232]Unfortunately Krewat is right.......

MDSuperduty,

You have a 2008 3-valve V-10 , like Pappy19 whose V-10 bit the dust .
Are you feeling nervous ?

MDSuperDuty 11-03-2014 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Wolfboro;14791445]

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty (Post 14791232)
Unfortunately Krewat is right.......

MDSuperduty,

You have a 2008 3-valve V-10 , like Pappy19 whose V-10 bit the dust .
Are you feeling nervous ?

I don't know. It's a machine it can fail. Would I be mad, sure. My commercial mowers could fail tomorrow and cost me more than that v10. My dump trailer could break and cost me money, etc......

Tell me one truck that is perfect, has a zero failure rate, is always covered in a warranty situation, and has zero issues near the 150,000mi mark. I read 3V V10's that reach the 300,000 mi range. I won't even come close to 100,000 for 15 years most likely. Doesn't mean it won't or will fail. My dad has a 1986 van that still runs and has about 150,000mi.

If it blows up tomorrow will I be upset. You bet. Do I have the funds to acquire a new engine, yes. Do I want to spend that? No. But I would need to compare the value to a trade or new motor situation.

If business picks up next year I may consider a trade to a 450/550, but still with the v10. I love my truck but it's almost too nice for dirt work.

So now that you've put bad luck in my way it'll probably fail this weekend.......

Fleetguy48138 12-11-2015 09:18 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-failures.html

pappy19 12-11-2015 07:22 PM

Yes, my original engine went south at 143,000 miles. I paid a total of $7500 for a Ford crate engine that came with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty by Ford. Not to say that I was upset with the failure, but, like was said, stuff happens. The new engine is running fine and now have 170,000 miles and running the same Mike's 5 Star with the Perf/Tow 89 program. I still love my V-10 and will not trade it for anything on the market today.

Sancho 12-13-2015 07:53 AM

Pappy,
What caused your failure? Was the engine tired,or did it just blow? Did they blame it on the tuner? I am at 85 k. These reports are making me nervous.