Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   2005 Escape ABS light and 4x4 light (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1336580-2005-escape-abs-light-and-4x4-light.html)

Escapeartists 09-17-2014 05:27 PM

2005 Escape ABS light and 4x4 light

My ABS light is on and the 4X4 light flashes about 8 times every few minutes. I thought this would be from a cracked tone ring on teh drive axle, I put the truck up on my floor jack and I did find a cracked tome ring on passenger side. Whoever has the truck used silicone to put the broken tone ring back on. In any event I replaced the drive axle with a new OEM with new tone ring. Drives like a charm but ABS and 4X4 light still on and flashing. It is AWd Is there a tone ring on the drive shaft ? Any ideas would be appreciated

David7.3 09-17-2014 05:52 PM

Did you reset the code? sometimes a couple drives will reset the monitor and the light should turn off.

Ron Pappas 09-17-2014 09:37 PM

AWD Light or Sensor Or?

Have a 2006 Mariner AWD with 154,000 miles. Been a great vehicle. Just replaced the rear differential that was starting to howl badly. Bought used rear diff and the "donor" vehicle was a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 65,000 miles. Installation was good mechanically. Vehicle drives fine and the noise is gone, but AWD light blinks on and off periodically and dash readout says "service system". I do push the reset button and it readout clears on the dash until I turn the vehicle off and start it up again. Crawled underneath to check electronic connection at top of differential. Seems connected.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron Pappas 09-20-2014 03:13 PM

Yes, dealer said they had reset the code. Also said that there was a non-serviceable part located inside the rear diff and the entire rear diff had to be replaced??? Not sure of that one….Was wondering if there was something wrong with electrical connection at the top of the diff? I have disconnected and reconnected it several times. Light still comes on. Thinking that this electrical connection would be something that is a provides a connection to/from a sensor for the front wheel slipping to engage the awd system to the rear. Still wondering what to look for…. any thoughts are always appreciated and fun to troubleshoot.

Escapeartists 09-20-2014 11:15 PM

I do not see any electrical connection to the rear Diff, but i will make sure tomorrow. I use my ODb code reader but find no code to reset. All other tone rings are solid no cracks. Still searching for a reason it is on.

Jigsaw 09-23-2014 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Escapeartists (Post 14673540)
My ABS light is on and the 4X4 light flashes about 8 times every few minutes. I thought this would be from a cracked tone ring on teh drive axle, I put the truck up on my floor jack and I did find a cracked tome ring on passenger side. Whoever has the truck used silicone to put the broken tone ring back on. In any event I replaced the drive axle with a new OEM with new tone ring. Drives like a charm but ABS and 4X4 light still on and flashing. It is AWd Is there a tone ring on the drive shaft ? Any ideas would be appreciated

There is a ring on the front axle shafts. Take a look under the vehicle behind each front wheel. It looks like a gear. They get corrosion under them and crack or fall off. There is one on each side.

Brian pay 04-03-2017 07:51 PM

OP, did you ever figure this problem out?