Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Rebuild or crate my 7.3?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1324554-rebuild-or-crate-my-7-3-a.html)

SpringerPop 07-11-2014 06:37 PM

If the OP's truck were mine, the first thing I would do is to take off the left valve cover's "doghouse" and make a bonsai run for a mile or two and see if the dipstick still gets pushed up an inch or so. If not, then I would suspect a clogged doghouse or the hose. If it still gets that much pressure in the crankcase with the doghouse off, then he's got some real blowby problems.

Of course, there will be some oil splashed out the valve cover hole, but it's not like he's going to do this on a dirt road, RIGHT, OP? :)

Cheap, easy, quick troubleshooting. Who knows, he might get lucky!

Pop

spdmpo 07-11-2014 08:40 PM

Lots of good talk here about a possible major engine problem, but the valve covers haven't even been off yet to see if there's anything obvious going on.

fscarrow 07-12-2014 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by spdmpo (Post 14500729)
Lots of good talk here about a possible major engine problem, but the valve covers haven't even been off yet to see if there's anything obvious going on.

Yea and the problem is I assumed that the mechanic would have done this. As soon as I'm able to walk again. Hopefully next week. I will begin doing these things you guys have suggested and I'm sure at that point I'll have more questions. Thank you again for all your input

retiredsparky 07-14-2014 12:52 AM

The discussion about glow plugs may have become a bit confusing for some of us. Just to confirm-a missing or compromised glow plug could easily provide the source of combustion gases which would pressurize the crankcase, causing the dipstick to "lift off"?

On the subject of corkscrewing, I have seen 480 volt industrial heating elements which are made in similar manner overheat and get bent into strange shapes when they malfunction internally or the controls malfunction. A glow plug controller or relay that sticks on longer than designed for could contribute to melting glow plugs.

It seems there are multiple scenarios that need to be researched before contemplating a teardown or rebuild. Larry

thomabb 07-16-2014 09:12 AM

Wouldn't a plugged crank case vent cause your oil to pressurize and push up the dipstick tube? Are there other symptoms that lead you to believe your motor is toast?

JOHN2001 07-16-2014 12:09 PM

Hmmm I believe that's what I said in my first post here... #9

spdmpo 07-16-2014 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by retiredsparky (Post 14505335)
The discussion about glow plugs may have become a bit confusing for some of us. Just to confirm-a missing or compromised glow plug could easily provide the source of combustion gases which would pressurize the crankcase, causing the dipstick to "lift off"?

Yes, that is what I was eluding to when I asked, but I figured someone would jump on me if I suggested it. I know it is a long shot, but it would be obviously seen if the valve covers would only come off. Or something else obvious perhaps. It's odd that the OP says it runs really well otherwise. I'd think there'd be a miss if a piston were holed or broken.

thomabb 07-16-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JOHN2001 (Post 14511866)
Hmmm I believe that's what I said in my first post here... #9

Sorry - Somehow I missed reading a bunch of posts on this thread.