Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Finally tore into my 460 MAF/SEFI project.. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1294549-finally-tore-into-my-460-maf-sefi-project.html)

cbakker 01-30-2014 02:38 PM

Finally tore into my 460 MAF/SEFI project..

So I got the motor rebuilt, professionally this time.

Background;
97 F-250 HD CCSB running 3.55's on 265/75-16's
Full banks powerpack exhaust.
Every single piece of emmissions equipment removed}> , but kept, just in case obama's EPA starts testing out in the country...
I was running a cone K&N but didn't like cleaning it all the time so i went back to the stock air box with a K&N that I have to clean almost as often.
Circle-D 2200-2300 stall converter(I called them to order to my specs.)

Rebuild spec's(I haven't picked up the motor yet so I only know what I've been told over the phone)

Bore .030 over with stock dish pistons(I believe these pistons were used between 93-98)

Block was decked down by .040". My builder calc'd the C/R to be about 9.3:1
Comp Cam # 34-235-4. I "assume" my current SD system will not handle this?
Crank was ground to .010" under with .010" over bearings.

Ports in the heads were opened up slightly and the tight corners were ground to flow better. I'm a little nervous about this, because he said he didn't hook it up to his flow bench.:-huh

I bought a BBK 61MM TB that I didn't bother installing until now.
I've located a few different HOG0 eec/-iv's available for sale, but haven't bought one yet. All other MAF/SEFI with a truck and E4OD combo have not been easy to find.

The main goal of this project is to increase both HP/T with as little reduction in MPG as possible.(I was able to achieve 15MPG consistently on long trips.)

I live on a farm and pull trailers regularly, and the occasional heavy farm implement. Before when I would pull a 190 NH skidloader on a trailer, I know my stock T/C didn't like it with the 3.55's.

Now I am curious as how to go about setting up my MAF/SEFI equipment. I am curious about the following things;

-running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
-running a wideband O2 meter for checking AFR's
-do I even need to do MAF for sure?
-if so, can I run dual MAF sensors to maintain the stock intake system? IST products makes all kinds of goofy/questionable products for this.

I'm still curious about all of the things I could be missing. LeadHead (Ian) has been an invaluable resource, because he has done this before. Not to take away from the great advice he has given me, but I am looking for any additional input from the many 9th gen/eec-iv/MAF/tuner guru's out there.

Set Go.

Cody

kanuck15 01-30-2014 02:55 PM

I want to watch this as ive got a 460 that needs either MAF swapped or Carb. The old SD isnt cutting it anymore

nebechanezer 01-31-2014 09:50 PM

I got the bbk adjustable fuel pressure regulator, it's pretty simple to install and adjust.
I'm planning on using the Innovate MTX-L wideband gauge kit. It comes in two models, the one has a much longer wire to the gauge, I forget the numbers.
I don't know if that cam needs maf to run decent, I think that would be the only mod of yours that would determine that, but I'm not the one to ask.
I've been told to get the intake tube from a '90s f150 with maf, it'll fit right into our intake tubes.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uestion-2.html

cbakker 02-03-2014 10:12 PM

I apologize for the life story above. I guess I'm a little more thorough than most.

I got my motor home tonight and everything done to it was exactly as stated above with the exception of how much the deck was blocked, and the new cast colored paint.

I don't know how much was taken off but it is above zero deck.

Anybody have any input on the cam and still being able to run SD or needing MAF.

cbakker 02-03-2014 10:18 PM

[IMG]http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...53212726AF.jpg[/IMG]

cbakker 02-03-2014 10:23 PM

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...53212726AF.jpg

I'll try this one. From the ride home

kanuck15 02-04-2014 06:53 AM

Nah man the details are good! That way we know whats going on

A cam is the number one reason to go MAF vs SD as SD uses vacuum to calculate a lot of their fuel curves and whatnot.

cbakker 02-04-2014 09:14 AM

Do you think I would be safe running the stock SD system just for break in? I don't want to put a fresh motor at risk, but I was hoping to get it up and running as soon as possible.

kanuck15 02-04-2014 09:20 AM

Depends on the cam really. This is where Id be giving Comp Cams or Lunati a call and see what they say. Im sure they have dealt with this before

cbakker 02-13-2014 09:38 AM

So I purchased a quarter horse chip and the binary editor software and just need to get the harness modified. I am heading to the JY today or tomorrow to see what I can scrounge up.

cbakker 02-13-2014 12:13 PM

Which fords have 30lb injectors?

I believe my stock 460 injectors are 24lb/hr? Looking to have 30's as an option if needed, so I'm going to check the JY when I get there.

I thought the lightnings had 30's but which other vehicles could I look in for them?

I have the picture chart but are there any different ones I should look for?

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ctor_Guide.jpg

My injectors don't look like any of these. I think they are blue but have a stainless bottom half.

kanuck15 02-13-2014 12:36 PM

Yeah the 460 has 24s. As far as finding 30s in the junk yard Idk what you would find them in

cbakker 02-13-2014 06:04 PM

Thanks kanuck for your help.

I must have tested the patience too much of others for any additional insight.

Have you, or anyone else heard anything about the fiveology conversion kit?
I'm kind of in to spend a little more and just bolt it on... and it looks better and cheaper than the Interactive systems and tech kit...

kanuck15 02-14-2014 08:55 AM

Ive been doing some reading on injectors. Apparently if you have a 19lbs injector rated for 45psi that same injector is a 24lbs injector at 65psi. Wonder how you could bump up the fuel pressure on your 24s to hit 30?

When I do my 460 I am back dating to a carb. I looked into the MAF kits but just cant spend that kind of money for stock. Now once the truck is running right with the carb and I am happy I am going to get a throttle body style EFI kit for it. One of those ones that sits on a 4bbl platform.

cbakker 02-14-2014 09:50 AM

Not sure where you got those numbers, but regardless, there is no way I am running 65 psi. I don't even know if the pcm could compensate for that high.

I talked to fiveology last night and I am most likely going to go with their kit. I could save myself the money by DIY'ing my own harness and connectors, all the while wasting another month second guessing my every splice and modification.

Or I can spend a little money, get the right EEC-IV and MAF sensor, bolt them in, and start tuning with my QH/BE.